Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2022, 11:21   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
ST60+ Intermittent

Masthead and instruments have worked very well for years, until this year.

First it became intermittent, then seemed to due completely.
I took the masthead down and the unit was responding, but with improper voltages.
I ordered a masthead circuit card.
In the meantime the u it came back to life, wind was OK direction was way off, always to starboard.
Then it died again.
I replaced the card yesterday.
Now, when it works it is OK.
BUT frequently it will not work. The display shows it has power and blinks like normal.
Then, after some 5 to 20 seconds it will start to display, or NOT.
If I turn it off and back on it MAY, after some seconds, start to work, or NOT.

Baffled in St Martin.

It seems the wiring is OK, or it would never work??
The depth display is kn the same Sea Talk power bus and works every time, instantly.
I don't believe I had this time delay before.
The only thing I can think to do is swap the master and slave displays, but did that before with no joy.

Any suggestions?
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 15:16   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: ST60+ Intermittent

Funny, no responses?

More info.

If it does come on, can take up to 20 seconds, it will stay on. I have had it on over 20 hours. Twice.

If it does not come on within maybe 20-30 seconds, it will NOT come on.
Old 10-12-2022, 21:06   #3

Boat: Lagoon 400

Confirm the Seatalk connectors are corrosion free. Use Electronic Contact cleaner not WD40 on them.

When the unit is working, wiggle the cables to it, to see if it stays on, thus to eliminate bad conductors. And / or check the voltage on the cables to ensure they are steady, even when wiggling.

Since you state the unit is now displaying correct wind information when it is on, then another possibly its internal corrosion within the unit and / or power on switch

This is now legacy equipment and generally not supported by Raymarine Official Technical shops. However the ST60+ is of the generation where the original design enables some internal repairs.

From other CF threads we have learnt to contact the "Legacy Raymarine Equipment Whisperer", Dan Gerhardt. He operates an EBay store https://www.ebay.com/usr/kodiakjack99 for legacy products and also has a good reputation for legacy Raymarine repairs.

The ebay link provides his email. We have had a successful repair executed by him on legacy equipment. Definitely worth an email to Dan describing your faults as he may be able to fix the unit at reasonable cost.
OldGreyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 04:35   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks for that post.

I have done all that you recommend, and a bit more. I very much appreciate the link to the repair service.

When I searched “st60+ masthead intermittent” I found that “intermittent” was the key word. There are a bunch of threads on this “intermittent” problem. All eventually resolve to your suggestion there is something in the wires; either masthead or at the display.

Raymarine has not supported these devices in decades and suggest you buy a new system ($$$$).

In the meantime I have purchased a NASA Marine wireless unit and mounted it on my radar mast. Not the perfect location but pretty good. Price about half of RM.

It now seems I can always get it to come on, but it may take up to 5 iterations if switch flip and wait 20 seconds. If it does not come on in 20 seconds it never will.

Why 20 seconds? A true mystery.
Old 11-12-2022, 04:51   #5

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Thanks for that post.

I have done all that you recommend, and a bit more. I very much appreciate the link to the repair service.

When I searched “st60+ masthead intermittent” I found that “intermittent” was the key word. There are a bunch of threads on this “intermittent” problem. All eventually resolve to your suggestion there is something in the wires; either masthead or at the display.

Raymarine has not supported these devices in decades and suggest you buy a new system ($$$$).

In the meantime I have purchased a NASA Marine wireless unit and mounted it on my radar mast. Not the perfect location but pretty good. Price about half of RM.

It now seems I can always get it to come on, but it may take up to 5 iterations if switch flip and wait 20 seconds. If it does not come on in 20 seconds it never will.

Why 20 seconds? A true mystery.
Which ST60+ instrument is it exactly? The repeater? If yes it’s an internal problem and needs repair means you need to sent it to Gerhard.

You are in Caribbean with a lot humidity, another try could be to open it up and Spray it’s intervals with electric contact spray to get humidity out. Afterwards put it in rice for 2 days and test afterwards.

IF you have another ST60 instrument eg tridata swap it over and see if you get the same problem to exclude a cabling issue.
Love this simple old ST60 instruments, easy to read under all conditions, simple and reliable plus repairable in a lot cases.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 05:08   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Will do but may take a while, the repeater is not easily accessed.
Old 11-12-2022, 05:31   #7

Boat: Najad 373
ST60+ Intermittent

FWIW I had also an ST60 working intermittently. Culprit was a faulty connection under the mast in the cabin ceiling, connector slightly moving thus deconnecting. No pattern was observable.
Quebramar is offline   Reply With Quote