Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2017, 11:47   #1

Boat: Island Packet 32
ST 4000

My autopilot occasionally makes a noise like it's attempting to partially engage, although the lever is securely in the dis-engage position. Turning the wheel generates a ratcheting noise that makes me think that soon something will break. I have not yet disassembled anything, so suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks
Old 06-10-2017, 12:18   #2

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310
Re: ST 4000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpstevens View Post
My autopilot occasionally makes a noise like it's attempting to partially engage, although the lever is securely in the dis-engage position. Turning the wheel generates a ratcheting noise that makes me think that soon something will break. I have not yet disassembled anything, so suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks
Inside is a cam and a ridged belt. The cam doesn't always disengage fully, in fact under normal operation it barely disengages. Most likely your belt is old and stretched, keeping some level of engagement. Order a new belt online, take the unit apart. Don't forget to clean the inside while you're there. It's easy. You might as well know how it works anyway.

Common problem is the pin through the engagement lever will rust and the lever will flop around. If this happens push/ drill out old pin, fit new one made from a stainless nail or something. This isn't related to your complaint, just a heads-up.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 12:37   #3

Boat: Lancer 44 Motor Sailer

Got the same ST4000. On mine the engagement lever is pretty loose and once in a while when it corrects turning the wheel to port the lever will disengage. The temporary fix is a good strong rubber band to hold the lever in the engaged position. It's worked for over a thousand miles so far. Installing a new belt is a pretty easy job. Undo the 6 allen head screws holding the 3 plastic clips to the wheel spokes. Mark with a crayon or marker for reassembly. Remove the wheel and then separate the 2 halves of the housing carefully with your finger tips or pry with a thin putty knife. Clean all the dust and lint out and lube the rollers, fit the new belt and press the 2 halves back together. Install with the marks you made earlier. Keep in mind the original ST 4000 uses a shorter belt and the Mark 2 uses a slightly longer belt.
Hope this helps.
Diesel Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 13:30   #4

Boat: Island Packet 32

Thanks guys, I'll try both solutions.