Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2012, 18:37   #16

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: SSB radios

Thanks SoonerSailer, good to know ! it was one I unfamiler with! it works and and the proper filters for interfernce. and a seperate speaker, so I tryed it out and it sure send well LOL and recieves pretty good also. Thanks again
Old 12-07-2012, 11:07   #17

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: SSB radios

Bob and Connie,
Well you're getting a working radio and that is a good thing....
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
ka4wja , have you ever used a 707 ICOM ?? we are getting a working radio with our new to us boat ! Never had a radio of this number and don't know anything about it ! altho there is manuals aboard for it ! Is it worth keeping or would something else be a better choice ? we only wish to have ship to ship and net capabiltys,over long distance. e-mail would be nice but is not really nessary for us. would love some input on this older radio, thanks in advance if ya can help
But, I'm afraid I disagree with Chip a bit on this one....

The IC-707 (from the early to mid 90's) was a basic, entry-level HF rig, particularly designed for mobile SSB operation, with small / inefficient antennas.
It works well with the Icom AH-2 and AH-3 remote tuners, and has a front-facing speaker, etc. making it a decent radio for mobile operation, etc...
To be clear it is not a bad radio....and if it's free and it works, then no reasosn to scrap it!!! (but understand that if you're new to HF operations, especially ham hf operations, that this isn't the best rig to learn on)

It does NOT have the features of a full-fledged HF ham rig, and has some peculiarities as well....no multiple bandwidth filters, no IF-shift or passband tuning, etc...poor/ineffective noise blanker (like many ham radios of this era, leave the noise blanker OFF!!! and leave the preamp OFF as well...)
And, some of the pecularities, off the top of my head, are the frustaring band change operations....the lack of an RF Gain adjustment....internal CW semi-break-in delay setting....fixed 800hz cw offset..."odd" s-meter...
And, the fixed AGC time constants (slow AGC in ssb mode) may cause issues if attempting PACTOR 2 or PACTOR 3.....
Also, the receiver dynamic range is only fair....which means that you might find casual operating to work okay, but may not be too happy if the bands are crowded, etc...

But, to me, the most disheartening feature is the 707's poor transmit IMD specs.....It is poor even by ham radio standards, and is so bad that I'd not want to hear it on the maritime bands....( 3rd order down by only 28db and 5th is only 36db down...)

So, again, it's free and it works.....no need to scrap it...but, in my opinion, it isn't going to be anywhwere close to the best radio to use on-board, and not the one to learn on!!!

Fair winds..

John
s/v Annie Laurie
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote