Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2018, 13:22   #1
rrn

Boat: newport II 30
ssb n vhf switch

hello i want to install two radios and use one antenna i know there are several posts that touch on this subject already but i am not sure if i understand properly what is being said as the technical terms confuse me sometimes so my question is can vhf and cb ssb work off the same antenna and if so do i need a certain switch and if so can someone post a link or give a name of a compatible switch thank you in advance this is such a great forum for those sailors that are not proficient in every aspect it requires to be a safe sailor
Old 12-12-2018, 13:30   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: ssb n vhf switch

Simple answer: no, what you suggest will not work. The required antennae are quite different.

Jim
Old 12-12-2018, 13:45   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Jim nailed it.
The complex answer is also NO ().
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 16:39   #4

Shakesphere had a CB/Marine VHF antenna at one time but I dont see it anymore, Most likley due to the fact CB is dead and the fact it was both a crappy VHF and CB antenna.

If you must have a CB antenna on the boat get a shortend antenna and mount it on a rail or spreader.
Old 13-12-2018, 09:59   #5

GMRS is basically UHF (462 MHZ) CB, little short vertical antenna if you are going for cosmetics. It is licensed in the USA and we have a family call sign.
BUT we only use GMRS on 4W handhelds, or repeaters on our own channels, don't know what the real world spectrum is like in terms of normal boater use. We chose it for cheap network privacy.
oleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2018, 10:16   #6

Boat: Dufour 39 Frers

Better keep them separated.

Your VHF is a mission critical device. Not time to messed up with it.
Emouchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2018, 11:28   #7

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrn View Post
hello i want to install two radios and use one antenna i know there are several posts that touch on this subject already but i am not sure if i understand properly what is being said as the technical terms confuse me sometimes so my question is can vhf and cb ssb work off the same antenna and if so do i need a certain switch and if so can someone post a link or give a name of a compatible switch thank you in advance this is such a great forum for those sailors that are not proficient in every aspect it requires to be a safe sailor
I think Shakespear makes an antenna for VHF and CB. I is two antennas in one package. If I understood your post correctly it is CB SSB you are speaking of which only takes a CB antenna.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2018, 14:10   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by oleman View Post
GMRS is basically UHF (462 MHZ) CB, little short vertical antenna if you are going for cosmetics. It is licensed in the USA and we have a family call sign.
GMRS/FRS radios are nice but GMRS is a USA licensed service. Not specifically licensed in other areas.
Old 03-01-2019, 22:48   #9

It can be done you need to use whats called a diplexer. You need a specific diplexer that is optimised for VHF and HF. I seem to recall that there was one such device in the Shakespeare catalog. There people who will make you a custom diplexer and make sure that its tuned correctly.

The second problem that you will have is that your 27mhz mud duck antenna will not be tuned for VHF. You will need to add a tuned stub or a parallel tuned 1/4 wave antenna so that its tuned for VHF marine work.

All this adds upto a lot trouble when the it would be far easier to use separate systems. The only people using this sort of multiband 1 antenna systems is mobile hams who have 1 antenna that covers several bands and want to monitor all frequencies at once from the same antenna.

A lot of trouble to go through for little gain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrn View Post
plebian99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ssb, vhf