Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2017, 09:00   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: SSB Info - School Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
Are there licensing requirements to use SSB ?
Yes. In the U.S.A. it's not the "pass a test" type of licensing though, just filling out forms and sending money. You need a boat license and an operator's license. Do some searching and you will find the details, or if you get desperate ask again here.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:02   #17

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

One could simply do some reading here --> Marine Electronics - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
And in all of the stickys in said forum on precisely such topics.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 13:47   #18

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400 40 ft "Camp David

SSB is restricted to a certain frequency range
The Icom M802 can be opened to HF or commonly called Ham use. You do require a license to operate on Ham frequency s. Remember it more than a radio to create a system. You need a tuner, antenna and a good ground system. The ground plane js a key part of the ANTENNA system. Icom M802 is hard to beat however you can find a lot of used M710 Icom's which are also a very good radio

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
CampDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 14:22   #19

Boat: Liberty 458

DSC on an SSB seems to be a little like lipstick on a pig. Does anyone use DSC with SSB? I can't remember a single post where anyone has used it. DSC on VHF otoh is very useful.

Any of the Icom SSBs will work well. Your biggest decision will be aerial and ground plane related. That topic can get a little heated.

A good SSB install will tend to be more reliable than a budget sat phone option. I like the text satellite options with SSB for weather and cruiser nets.

We also have a ham setup. SSB requires a vessel and operator permit. Ham requires general or general extra for use on a boat.

SSB still remains the best option for the pacific and remote area cruising. What is your use case?
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 14:42   #20

Boat: Olson 40

Skip the SSB. Spend the money on sails.

VHF for close communications, AIS, and DSC.

Satellite communications for beyond line-of-sight. InReach (ex DeLorme, now owned by Garmin) seems popular, and well under $500, with monthly plans from $15 to $100.

From https://www.garmin.com/en-US/blog/fe...each-explorer/

"Using the worldwide coverage of the Iridium satellite network, the inReach SE+ and inReach Explorer+ can send and receive text messages with any cell phone number, email address or another inReach device, so users can be outside of cellular range without compromising their loved ones’ peace of mind. Both devices have an interactive SOS, which triggers an emergency response from GEOS®, the 24/7 search and rescue monitoring center. After the SOS is received, inReach users are then able to communicate back and forth with GEOS about the nature of the emergency, and receive confirmation when help is on the way."
u4ea32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 14:51   #21

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/blog/ou...tlantic-ocean/

I have no fiscal interest in Garmin whatsoever. I have owned Garmin stuff in the past, and it worked well. I own no Garmin equipment today.
Old 11-02-2017, 15:07   #22
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Well there is nothing wrong or bad about satellite comms but they are not a complete alternative to SSB / HF comms. While there is some overlap in their respective usage, they compliment each other than replace each other. IMO having both is best but right now as I understand it, the OP is looking for SSB info.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 09:43   #23

Boat: Wauquiez 43 PS

depends how quickly you want an SSB. iCom are bringing out an upgrade to the M802 which should be available later this year. We have been looking at exactly the same requirement and we are very tempted to wait for the upgrade as either the M802 will reduce in price or the upgrade will be the same sort of price (well here's hoping). Any way, don't forget to add in the cost of a pactor modem if you want to take advantage of the text / email capability of SSB.
You also want to think about the grounding system to use. There are three available; dynaplate, KISS and SSB Ground Paint using a capacitor. Be careful in your choice. Good luck
SJFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 12:36   #24

Boat: Dufour 39 Frers

An "HF AM license" is needed for any xmit on SSB. No license needed if listenning only !
Check your country of origin for local regulation. Each country is different.
Emouchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 13:31   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Well there is nothing wrong or bad about satellite comms but they are not a complete alternative to SSB / HF comms. While there is some overlap in their respective usage, they compliment each other than replace each other. IMO having both is best but right now as I understand it, the OP is looking for SSB info.
Until quite recently, I would agree.

Its just as these new very inexpensive satellite units may make one reconsider if one really wants the vast complexity, expense, and unreliability of connection of SSB communications.

SSB has always been sketchy. Sure, at times, a sophisticated user with plenty of time can get long range communications when the atmosphere cooperates. When an emergency happens, you can't change the atmosphere, you probably can't spend much time or attention on communicating! If the SSB expert is busy or injured, good luck with someone else getting the message out, or anyone hearing the message. Its great for giggles and as a hobby, which is the only way HF AM is used today off of yachts. The rest of the world, aviation and commercial and competitive, has gone to satellite. Used to use SSB, but that was long ago. Like horses instead of cars.

Many a racer on offshore events that required SSB, such as Transpac, have had penalties assessed because they could not always get their position out on time, and heard by the race committee. The radio boats and stations are always manned by people with more experience than the operators on the boats. And everyone knows right when the communication is scheduled. Yet a decent percentage can't get through.

Satellite: Its cheaper, more reliable, and simple to use. One button in these modern devices. Text messages via your phone, just like on land. Everyone on board already knows how to use it.

Nearby boats will have VHF on, but they almost certainly will have their SSB turned off unless they are trying to send or take part in a radio hour. SSB has rarely been useful for ship to ship communication in emergencies. There are examples! But sat comm is just way better.

Not perfect! And there is a monthly subscription. Still cheaper than keeping the cable TV subscription going.
Old 12-02-2017, 13:49   #26
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

^^^

All valid points and yes, it is a changing world!

Technology has been trying to kill off HF/SSB for decades but it refuses roll over and die - maybe the "thousandth" cut is around the corner or maybe not
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 13:55   #27

Boat: Bruce Roberts Ketch 40

The reason I asked is, this boat I bought came w a SSB radio.
I might as well activate it at least, is my thinking,
Thanks to you here in this thread I have ordered a Lic.. and via e mail have a temporary use permit.
Furthermore, thanks to you, I also have a sense of its uses and limitations.
Thank you all for your input.
Gotta Love Cruisers Forum.
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 17:18   #28

Boat: Riva 48

One issue with SSB radio today is the solar minimum which (as I understand it) limits the ionization of the atmosphere and hence HF propagation. It is supposed to get better in the next five years but it will be a slow, gradual improvement. With the launch of Iridium Next we can expect big reductions in satellite airtime costs and/or higher bandwidth. Therefore, I must concur that SSB radio is unlikely to ever be as popular as it were in the past. I love HF communications and playing with my radio on board but I would not be investing in my setup going forward. It will remain a hobby for me. If you have it on board, by all means play with it and get the licenses (ham is much more useful). For weather, you are better off with a portable receiver+a decoding program on a phone/tablet due to the lower current draw. HF DSC is not worth the money. In addition, you can buy a $79 program that runs on a PC/tablet and does HF DSC encoding and decoding. That is a cheaper way to add DSC to an existing setup.

Also telling is that there are very few marine SSB radio vendors left and they are dragging there feet introducing new products to the market.

Another way to go if interested in radio communications is to get these inexpensive QRP transceivers - low power but high end technology, software controlled, cover the entire radio spectrum to 2 GHz. You can do satellite weather, VHF/UHF communications, listen to aircraft, etc. It has an easier learning curve than HF.

Good luck.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2017, 13:13   #29

The boat we just bought has an SSB too, and I'm taking all of it out, including the ground plane and antenna tuner. I'll see what I can get for them on craigslist or Minney's or similar.

I am removing everything that causes problems, irritations, aggravations. A lot is going! The previous owner found he worked on all this kind of thing full time when he was cruising. I'm going for the OPPOSITE of that: the boat is a magic carpet for adventure, not yet another job. KISS.
Old 13-02-2017, 13:21   #30

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by u4ea32 View Post
The boat we just bought has an SSB too, and I'm taking all of it out, including the ground plane and antenna tuner. I'll see what I can get for them on craigslist or Minney's or similar.

I am removing everything that causes problems, irritations, aggravations. A lot is going! The previous owner found he worked on all this kind of thing full time when he was cruising. I'm going for the OPPOSITE of that: the boat is a magic carpet for adventure, not yet another job. KISS.
And your plan.for offshore weather updates?
Once installed, an SSB setup is one of the least maintance items on a cruising boat. It's not a engine, a motor, a pump, a rig, or ...
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
school, ssb