Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2014, 04:18   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Re: SSB Antenna Length

I would also recommend the alternative back stay method. I have used it on a ketch and a sloop and about to make one for my cat, although will be a fake sidestay on the cat. I have used #8 or 10 wire in the past inside of a Dacron cover. Works better than most insulated back stays but sometime not quite as good as some of the higher quality fiberglass antennas.
Old 20-11-2014, 04:51   #17

Boat: Jeanneau Voyage 37 ft

Sir Rondo,

as you say "...if it ain't broke...." I really wouldn't go into the trouble of changing the rigging unless you are the equivalent of the well-off US HAM that has quadruple stacked 180 feet antenna towers and wants the perfect HF- station on a sailing boat ....

Rest assured, the "sloping end-fed alternate backstay wire antenna will work well enough if you have an adequate RF-ground system and installed everything well (also the 12V DC power connections to your transceiver).

I can work Australia, Japan, US, South America on HAM frequencies with similar type of installation from my sailing boat in Europe.
Seawater is the near-perfect take-off platform.

And yes I plan to experiment soon with a 7 meter vertical fibreglass fishing pole at the transom as HF-antenna to see if there is any difference with the alternate backstay antenna. Using the same ATU. For fun.

Then again I like the fun of experimenting

Jan
ON3ZTT
Goudurix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 04:59   #18
Formerly: Capt Wraun

Boat: Corbin39 CC Cutter Rig

Ya I hear you, for sure. I have already been kicking the idea of dyneema around for a while. My standing rigging will be due for a change out within five years but we plan to set sail in 2 years so we have to deal with it before then.
I want to install my SSB next spring when I return to the boat, so that will happen with the existing rigging in place.
Old 20-11-2014, 19:50   #19
Marine Service Provider

I made an antenna today from 1/8" coated lifeline wire. I have always felt copper wire made a better antenna than a stainless wire, but this will be all stainless right to the tuner. And will be able to tension it up real nice.

I also made up a KISS like counterpoise with some lengths of speaker wire so will see how it all works out.
Old 23-11-2014, 11:15   #20

Boat: 41' Tartan TOCK

Thank you all for sharing your knowledge and experience, super helpful! I'm feeling pretty comfortable with the install at this point.

It took me a bit of searching but I found the picture posted by Btrayfors of a good method to connect GTO-15 to a length of stainless lifeline. Nicely done.
Just thought I'd repost it for folks.
jonahmulski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 18:41   #21
Marine Service Provider

Why not connect the lifeline cable direct to the tuner?
Old 23-11-2014, 23:14   #22

Boat: 41' Tartan TOCK

I was installing my SSB today. I was deep in the back of a storage locker to mount the kiss counterpoise I'm using when I found a long strip (~15') of 1.5" wide metal that connects to a 2'x2' area of copper mesh that has been glassed into the inside off the hull. I'm assuming this was intended to be an SSB ground? If so, does this method work? Can I use the kiss and this grounding thingey together? Or is it better to use just one or the other?

Boatguy30, unless there is some high voltage issue I don't believe there is any reason not to run the lifeline directly to the tuner. However, I'm using GTO-15 because I'd like to have the antenna tight so I'm going to have a loop at either end that I can pull it tight with. It also makes the length of lifeline easier to replace in the future.
jonahmulski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2014, 04:16   #23
Marine Service Provider

I tried the ssb on the maritime mobile net 14.300. Net control was in Boston and he had a light copy on me. A relay in station in NC I think had me pretty good and I could here B
Boston guys in Chicago and NC well so the antenna seems fine.

On the counterpoise, I chucked some foil in the water out the porthole and clamped it to the tuner. The guy in Boston said he had a much better copy then, but it did not auto retune so it must not be too bad.

I think the counterpoise I made will be adequate for Bahamas net use and ham email. Will try the SSB net this morning. I was thinking of adding some copper bug screen in the bilge if I can find some.
Old 25-11-2014, 05:13   #24

Boat: A Thistle and a Hallberg-Rassy 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonahmulski View Post
I was installing my SSB today. I was deep in the back of a storage locker to mount the kiss counterpoise I'm using when I found a long strip (~15') of 1.5" wide metal that connects to a 2'x2' area of copper mesh that has been glassed into the inside off the hull. I'm assuming this was intended to be an SSB ground? If so, does this method work? Can I use the kiss and this grounding thingey together? Or is it better to use just one or the other?
Yes, you have found a nice RF ground system. This is all you need. The KISS is not going to improve much, if at all, on what you have found. It also is not likely to hurt to add the KISS to what you have.
SoonerSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2014, 05:18   #25

Boat: Jeanneau Voyage 37 ft

Jonahmulski, it can only hurt your wallet hahaha to add the KISS.
Goudurix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, ssb