Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2015, 09:12   #1

Boat: None
SSB & WeatherFax Shared Antenna

Hi All.

I picked up a Furuno WeatherFax unit on the cheap recently, and I want to hook it up such that it shares the backstay antenna with the SSB radio. I'm looking for an antenna splitter that does two things. I want the two devices to be able to receive simultaneously; and I want the SSB to go isolated when the transmit button is pressed, so as not to damage the WeatherFax receiver unit.

Does anyone know of a splitter product that will do this?
Caribbeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 08:56   #2

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch
Re: SSB & WeatherFax Shared Antenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribbeachbum View Post
Hi All.

I picked up a Furuno WeatherFax unit on the cheap recently, and I want to hook it up such that it shares the backstay antenna with the SSB radio. I'm looking for an antenna splitter that does two things. I want the two devices to be able to receive simultaneously; and I want the SSB to go isolated when the transmit button is pressed, so as not to damage the WeatherFax receiver unit.

I'm new to HAM, but after googling it, it looks like you need a duplexer. Best bet is to call HRO and tell them what frequencies you are using and let them tell you what to buy.
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 22:58   #3

Boat: Westsail 32

Autumnbreeze, thanks and who is HRO??
Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 23:10   #4

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

Sorry ham radio outlet. Not affiliated, but they seem to have the best pricing and their staff are usually very knowlesdable. They also have a website.

Sent from my TegraNote-P1640 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 08:05   #5

Boat: 1998 PDQ 36 Capella Classic

Might also want to look here.

MFJ 916B: Ham & Amateur Radios - Equipment, Parts and Supply | AES

Cheers,
Mike
NW5M
Krakato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 10:13   #6

Boat: Catalina 470

Caribbeachbum,
Contrary to the other posts here, you CANNOT do this!!!
Please do NOT try this!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribbeachbum View Post

1) There is NO "splitter", nor "diplexer", nor "duplexer" that will allow you to do this!!

{to be clear, there are transceiver-combiners, bandpass-filters, etc. that would allow sharing of one HF antenna to different transceivers (or transceiver and receiver), as long as their frequency / band of use was widely separated (a few MHz at least)....and some ham radio field-day operators and/or single-antenna contest stations have found them to be a workable solution to their antenna limitations on 14mhz, 21mhz, and 28mhz, etc....but these are quite pricey (> $500 - $1000), and are NOT practical for your application at all...}

2) Your best solution is to have your Furuno WeFax unit (I have the Furno FAX-408, myself) share your HF-DSC RECEIVE antenna....(which is what I've been doing now for > 11 years on-board my current boat, and it works great!)

I use one of my aft lower shrouds as a coax-fed, end-fed vertical (about 22' long) and use a simple coax "tee" and a couple coax jumpers to feed both my M-802's DSC Receive antenna jack and my Furuno FAX-408...

{Since MF/HF-DSC has been with us now since 1992, 23 years ago.....and has been mandatory for all SOLAS signatory nations and all SOLAS vessels since Jan 1999, > 16 years ago!! And, since then, MF/HF-DSC has been the ONLY way to raise/signal other boats, ships, vessels, or most coast stations (as they are no longer monitoring and Voice SSB channels/frequencies)!!
Except for some HF SSB Voice monitoring by the USCG, and Aus/NZ maritime authorities, (and Shipcom Radio's WLO/KLB) no one else is monitoring HF SSB Voice channels, and haven't been for many years....but there are > 450 MF-DSC coast stations worldwide and > 80 HF-DSC coast stations worldwide, that ARE monitoring the MF/HF-DSC frequencies....
So, with all of that, I'm assuming that you do have an MF/HF-DSC-SSB radio (such as the Icom M-802, or Furuno FS-1575, sailor 6300 series, etc.)...which is why I mention "sharing" your "DSC Receive antenna" with your Furuno WeFax unit....}

Here are photos of mine...

3) If you do not have an MF/HF-DSC-SSB radio, or don't have an HF-DSC receive antenna rigged, you can simply use one of your shrouds, stays, etc. (as long as it is NOT electrically connected to your backstay antenna, and is at least a few feet away from your backstay), as a HF WeFax receive antenna....

4) If you truly wish to complicate your life....(something I do NOT recommend), you could buy an external "sub receiver / transceiver interface", which has an RF-sensed relay network and an isolated receive output, all built-in....
It would cost you about $350 - $400....and would use only a little bit of 12vdc power, but would be another piece of gear to fail (they are NOT designed for the salt-air environment!) and another piece of gear to complicate your life...

I do hope the above clarifies things...

Fair winds...

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 14:36   #7

Boat: None

Thanks, John. Thanks everyone, actually. That's the same unit I have, pretty sure I got a bargain ($800, and it's like new, even). It's working fine using one of the starboard shrouds, but I still might get a dedicated WeFax antenna when the time comes that I'm to be far, far away from shore.

Again, many thanks.
Caribbeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, ssb, weather