Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2015, 12:47   #1
cruiser

SSB and Weatherfax Help in the Med.

I have an excellent Icom SSB radio onboard, and don't have any idea of how to use it. I'd like to be able to receive Weatherfax information and have already downloaded the Blackcat IPad app for receiving Weatherfax.

Can someone please explain where to find a list of Mediterranean Weatherfax frequencies for SSB and any English language chat Channels and times for cruising related stuff. I'm currently in Sardinia, Italy.

I'm looking for a tutor.

Thanks

Ken
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2015, 13:38   #2

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 42E
Re: SSB and Weatherfax Help in the Med.

Hi Ken,

You can download here the world freq for radiofax

www.nws.noaa.gov/os/marine/rfax.pdf

In Sardinia Northwood in not so loud, get a try to Hamburg

Andrea

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
capitangiorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2015, 13:42   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

there is about all you need to know here,for the med including waterfax schedules and stations

Frank Singleton's Weather and Sailing Pages / Franks-Weather | The Weather Window
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2015, 13:45   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Radio Fax Europe and Worldwide / Franks-Weather | The Weather Window
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2015, 13:52   #5

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Buried deep within Frank Singletons site.. http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/marine/rfax.pdf
Old 28-05-2015, 14:27   #6
cruiser

Thanks,

I'll start reading Frank's pages tomorrow. I'll let you know how it works out.

Ken
Old 28-05-2015, 19:21   #7

Boat: Catalina 470

Ken,
Andrea gave you the link to the definitive listing of worldwide WeFax transmissions....and Atoll and Ping gave you some good links as well...

Perhaps I can add a few tips / suggestions as well...
And, answer your question about "cruising nets", HF radio nets, etc...
And especially, give you some links to videos that will show you, LIVE, real-world demonstrations of how HF radio works and how to use the radio, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I have an excellent Icom SSB radio onboard, and don't have any idea of how to use it. I'd like to be able to receive Weatherfax information and have already downloaded the Blackcat IPad app for receiving Weatherfax.

Can someone please explain where to find a list of Mediterranean Weatherfax frequencies for SSB and any English language chat Channels and times for cruising related stuff. I'm currently in Sardinia, Italy.
1) Depending on exact time of day, I'd try DDK3 on 7880 and DDK6 on 13882.5 (and late at night maybe 3855)....and try GYA on 8040 and 11086.5 (I get GYA here in S. Florida > 4500 miles away, so I know it works here...)

Always try the higher frequencies first...

2) As for learning about "HF SSB" and how-to use the radio, etc. as well as some info/live demonstrations of WeFax reception, have a look at this series of videos...

Maritime HF Communications
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...ZDo_Jk3NB_Bt1y

HF-DSC Communications
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...ga2zYuPozhUXZX

Icom M-802 Instruction Videos
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...rC-8QKVyMb4tVr

Offshore Weather / WeFax
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...zdjTJjHlChruyY

3) As for "Cruising Nets".....in Europe they are pretty limited....and of course use of 6mhz limits their ramge...even the 8mhz nets are pretty "local"/"regional" (early mornings it should be good, out to 400 - 500 miles or more....but as the sun gets higher ranges on 8mhz get pretty close...)

Here are EU/Med nets...

-- Med Net – 6516kHz or 8131kHz/kHz on Monday, Wednesday & Friday at 0530 UTC

-- or -- (not sure which, or both, is up-to-date)

-- The OCC Med Net: on 8104 Wed and Fri at 06.00Z, Susie & David(Kookaburra), David & Julia (Daq Attack).

Also these two...
-- Dragnet – 6516kHz at 0600UTC

-- Around Europe - 8297kHz at 08.15 UTC German speaking but happy to speak english if you join in.

Here's a link from the OCC...
http://www.oceancruisingclub.org/ima.../RadioNets.pdf

Of course, there is always the amateur radio nets (ham nets), on the "ham bands"...
Such as 14.300mhz, 14.297mhz, 21.400mhz, etc...
14300.net

You didn't mention being a ham operator, so I assume you are not....but that doesn't mean that you cannot listen!

4) BTW, as I wrote above.....always try the higher freqs first....and watch the videos that show / explain this clearly...

And, FYI....the 2 biggest issues most cruisers have with HF radio ("SSB" or WeFax) are:
a) limited understanding of how HF radio works / radiowave propagation..
b) too much radio noise / interference on-board (or nearby, such as in marinas and yacht clubs).....this is know as RFI (Radio Frequency Interference)..

{ switching off / removing power from many devices/systems on-board can be an eye-opening experience when using an HF radio...}

5) And, finally....
The info I posted here (including the videos), and the links to the WeFax schedules, etc. and especially the advice about reducing your RF noise on-board (and nearby), are all in the "stickys" at the top of the Marine Electronics page here on Cruiser's Forum...

Fair winds...

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2015, 22:18   #8
cruiser

John,

Thanks so much for putting together all the good information. I'll begin doing my homework right now, with a few of the "how to" YouTube videos during breakfast.
Old 30-05-2015, 23:28   #9

Location: Brunei Darussalam - NW Coast of Borneo island, geographic centre of SE Asia
Boat: Swanson 36 - 10.97m

Hi Ken,

Not sure if this helps, but if you have an ICOM M802(DSC) or ICOM M801(E), and you need to learn how to drive it, Terry Sparks - www.made-simplefor-cruisers.com has some excellent books on getting the best benefit from the M802, which also applies to the M801.

Additionally, you might already know that by adding a Pactor controller to either of these radios, and numerous other ICOM HF/SSB radios, you can receive free NAVTEX broadcasts (where available), free WEATHERFAX broadcasts (where available), and - via membership of the not-for-profit SailMail Association, free downloads of METAREA forecasts, free GRIB weather charts, free coastal forecasts, a range of other included services (like ShadowMail to monitor shore email accounts) and send/receive emails with anyone in the world.

Hope that helps
AllanR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ssb, weather