Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 08:39   #1

ssb

Hello I'm interested in getting a ssb but I'm not sure is there a difference between the radio you get at a cb shop that truckers use and a Marine SSB? I want to be able to download the email and weather reports when out on the water from single sideband I'm not sure how to do this,
mikeybgoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:53   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: ssb

Huge difference.

SSB is a certain kind of transmission or in other terms certain kind of radio signal. In very, very non technical terms you could compare it to the difference between AM and FM car radio.

So SSB (single side band) is a way to send radio signals that can be used on different channels (frequencies). You could use SSB on CB radio channels, Ham radio channels or marine radio channels. All these channels are different and you need to get a radio that will tune to the channels you want to hear. CB radio is NOT what you want on a boat. Marine radio channels and Ham radio channels are what you need for weather and communication with other boats.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:58   #3

thanks for the reply. I was hope ing to find a excuse to by a $350 cb radio I guess
Old 04-10-2013, 09:01   #4

Boat: Luders 36
If you want use email then there is much that has to go into an SSB setup. Pactor modem, proper setup, etc. all of this if new runs into several thousand dollars.

If you just want receive weather broadcasts, and even weather faxes, then you could get by with a receive only radio that has SSB channels.

Also depending on budget (setup vs. long term) you may be better with a Sat Phone.

If you not planning on be way offshore (still in cell phone coverage) then smartphone or mifi will even suffice.
Jman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:02   #5

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeybgoode View Post
thanks for the reply. I was hope ing to find a excuse to by a $350 cb radio I guess
CB channels are not normally used in marine applications, the marine equivalent would be VHF radio. You can buy a good one for $350.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:23   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
$350 is a lot for a CB, even one with SSB capabilities, unless it also includes a high power (an not legal) linear amplifier.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:25   #7

Boat: Catalina 470

Mikey,
Skip has answered the first part of your post and described things in a basic way, pretty well!!

What you are looking for is a Marine HF Radio (commonly, and erroneously, referred to as an "SSB", by many sailors/cruisers).....and specifically a Marine MF/HF-DSC-SSB Transceiver....

Such as this...
IC-M802 HF Marine Transceiver - Features - Icom America

Icom SSB Radio Kits & Components

In the USA, this radio (Icom M-802) sells for about $1800 (plus $450 for the AT-140 remote tuner), plus misc. installation items..so figure about $2500 all-in...
This is a full-featured radio that will not only "get weather", but provides for Distress calling (DSC-signaling) to shore and/or other vessels, as well as full voice communications world-wide...all for FREE....not fee, no subscriptions, etc....
[and you can also use it to place phone calls while out at sea (at 99 cents a minute)....that's the one thing that isn't free!!]

BUT...
But, you CAN "get weather" for FAR FAR LESS MONEY!!!
You can "get weather" when offshore using a simple, inexpensive HF receiver...typically a $100 - $150 shortwave receiver that is capable of SSB reception, with a simple wire antenna hoisted up a flag halyard, or simply clipping the antenna lead to a backstay/shroud....(and either listen to the "voice weather" offshore and hi-seas forecasts, and/or connecting the output of this radio to your laptop, and receiving live weather charts and forecasts...almost everywhere in the world!!!)

As for generically "getting weather"....
Quote:
I want to be able to download the email and weather reports when out on the water from single sideband I'm not sure how to do this,
I'm not sure where you are at???
Nor where you are planning on sailing, voyaging, cruising???
Nor exactly what your specific desire / application is???
But, generically, here are some fairly good answers for you...

1) Here is a great thread describing almost everything you need to know....
SSCA Forum • View topic - Offshore / Hi-Seas Weather data / forecasts

Quote:
an inexpensive HF/SSB receiver (such as a Sagean 909 or Sony 7600, etc.), using a good antenna, for voice reception....and for WeFax (and text) reception, connected to a PC/laptop (and again using JVComm, etc)
Typical costs here are from $150 to $500, depending on receiver and antenna set-up....
{this is usually considered a "back-up" system, with the vessel's primary Marine SSB Tranceiver being used as the "primary" HF receiver for WeFax, Voice, etc..}

2) Understand that you can get all the weather info/forecasts for FREE, for most of the world's oceans, without "e-mail"...
(and also understand that if you desire to do so, you CAN provide position reports to shore, where they will be posted on-line for others to see, WITHOUT the use of "e-mail"..)
So, if you can personally "survive" at sea without exchanging e-mails with others (waiting until you are in port, or in a coastal area, for access to data service, whether Wi-Fi or cellular based), there is NO "necessity" for e-mail at sea....(and hence no "necessity" for any expensive PACTOR modem, nor computer connected to your radio)....

3) Please advise WHERE you are at and WHERE you are planning on sailing / voyaging / cruising???
WHAT you exact application is / WHAT exact "weather" info/forecasts are you looking for???
WHO / WHY you need to e-mail while out at sea???

Knowing the answers to the above questions, we can give you better answers...

I hope this all helps...

Fair winds..

John
s/v Annie Laurie
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 16:31   #8

thanks so much for all the responses, as far as cb- I'm a truck driver and the is a real nice cb connex turbo 400 I thought it might be good for the road then in about a year I want to get a sailboat and cruise the islands and ?? I've seen some YouTube vids and people have said that using a ssb they can get weather reports and email to their laptops, if it a $2000 investment I'll be out. I'm a budget sailor once again thanks for the advice. fair winds
Old 04-10-2013, 16:38   #9

I could be wrong about the exact model number, but I know most truckers really like the connex. I'm investigating.
Old 04-10-2013, 19:21   #10

Boat: Catalina 470

Mikey,
You're welcome...

But, I really wished you would've mentioned that you were a truck driver trying to clarify some rumors, etc....as I feel like an idiot, spending my time / effort trying to explain things to you as if you were on-board and looking for communications and weather info/forecasts when out in the middle of the ocean!!!!

As for clarifying this....
Quote:
..people have said that using a ssb they can get weather reports and email to their laptops, if it a $2000 investment I'll be out. I'm a budget sailor
If you read the Bold Type in my above post [But, you CAN "get weather" for FAR FAR LESS MONEY!!!] and the detailed text that follows [You can "get weather" when offshore using a simple, inexpensive HF receiver...typically a $100 - $150 shortwave receiver that is capable of SSB reception, with a simple wire antenna hoisted up a flag halyard, or simply clipping the antenna lead to a backstay/shroud....(and either listen to the "voice weather" offshore and hi-seas forecasts, and/or connecting the output of this radio to your laptop, and receiving live weather charts and forecasts...almost everywhere in the world!!!],I think you'll see that you can "get weather" when offshore (in the middle of the ocean), and NOT go over-budget of even the most budget-conscience sailor!!!

And, even more importantly is the fact that when in port, at anchor, etc. in most of the popular places, you will be able to use your smartphone / tablet / laptop / etc. for internet access and e-mail, etc. and have excellent access to multiple weather sources!!!
And the "cost" this is whatever you paid for your smartphone / tablet / laptop....plus, should you choose to have longer-range coverage on Wi-Fi, the cost of whatever "external, hi-perf Wi-Fi system" you choose (< $300 is typical)...and/or the cost of whatever 3G/4G wireless/cellular plan you choose....

Understand that you CAN have pretty good connectivity, good access to weather info/forecasts worldwide, and in-port e-mail/internet access, ALL ON A BUDGET!
If you would like to learn more on this, there are plenty of threads here (and elsewhere) that explain all the pertinent details...

Fair winds and please drive safely!!

John
s/v Annie Laurie
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 19:42   #11

Boat: Avon Rib, 65hp

John,
I doubt anything you post is ever wasted. There's always something to learn.
Cheers,
Mac
Old 05-10-2013, 09:01   #12

maybe I didn't clarify-sorry- I AM a truck driver and retiring soon and am planning on cruising probably just island hoping but who knows maybe do some passages as well. i did some coastal sailing and lived on a sailboat for over a year and got bit by the bug, now getting things in order to go fulltime cruising- i have a lot to learn so your comments are NOT wasted and I really appreciate the advice I do! that's why I posted here because I know that there are good folks with great knowledge.