Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2012, 13:53   #1

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
Squall Detection, Pulse Radar vs Broadband?

According to the sales literature, pulse is better at weather detection, but I would like to hear from those who have used both. Is there a significant difference? Not having played with radar for decades and never having owned one myself I am curious as to how effective it is for tracking squalls at night and if broadband is usefull in this regard. I am thinking specifically of Furuno 1715 vs 3G as I am on a strict electronics budget.
Thanks,
Mike

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 15:51   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Squall detection, pulse radar vs broadband?

Yep. Me too most interested in opinions. On the older types seen rain squalls but hard to detect dry ones any time.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 16:26   #3

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

This is from the Lowrance site:

Ballpark Distances

Wide weather front with heavy rain
8-15nm
9-17nm

Dense rain cell 100mm/hr
7-13nm
8-15nm

Heavy shower 25mm/hr
2.5-5.5nm
3-6nm

Light Rain
1.3-2.6nm
1.5-3nm

The format didn't translate, but the top number is 3G, the bottom is 4G

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 16:36   #4

With old school radar, leaving Samana D.R. for Puerto Rico (forget the distance, but it's a ways! 60+ miles?) I easily saw the thunder squalls off the end of Puerto Rico all night. Tracked them if they moved my direction. They are dense, angry and in the air so you can see them many miles away beyond your Radar's rating... Also readily tracked small waterspouts in the Gulfstream... If it's "dry" over water.. wont it be detectable by sea state?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 17:21   #5
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

The professional weather radars are all pulse Doppler radars. They use Doppler effect to discriminate between moving (weather) and static (non-weather) echo's. Frequency: S-band is best and most expensive. Shorter wavelengths limit range.

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 19:51   #6

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
According to the sales literature, pulse is better at weather detection, but I would like to hear from those who have used both. Is there a significant difference? Not having played with radar for decades and never having owned one myself I am curious as to how effective it is for tracking squalls at night and if broadband is usefull in this regard. I am thinking specifically of Furuno 1715 vs 3G as I am on a strict electronics budget.
Thanks,
Mike
Never used pulse radar, but have used conventional radar many times to track squalls. It has been quite effective in my experience. You just have to play with the filters/gain a bit to get what you want.

One caution, don't get so caught up in tracking the weather that you forget about what else might be inside of that system -- like a freighter! I dial my filters/gain down periodically so I can see what other targets might be hiding in there.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 20:38   #7

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Good point on the "forest versus the trees" aspect of active radar usage.

A radar installer told me that for offshore, I would be better with a pulse radar for range, but for coastal detail, he prefers the broadband. Obviously, we would have to be discussing otherwise identical installations.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 21:23   #8

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

I have broadband radar and my old pulse radar was better at rain detection. Broadband is better at seeing through it, and for close target resolution. A big boat would benefit from both aboard.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 05:50   #9
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Never used pulse radar, but have used conventional radar many times to track squalls.
"Conventional" radar, as far as I'm concerned, *is* pulse radar Many will argue that because of the radar subject , but every Furuno, Garmin, Raymarine etc. aboard yachts is a pulse radar.

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 06:39   #10

Boat: Outbound 44

One thing to consider is the difference between 2kw and 4kw small boat radar. In dense thunder storms 4kw will give you a much better view of what is in the storm area and how thick the cells are. At times you can't go around them but you can head through the thinnest part.
Old 16-03-2012, 08:30   #11

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
"Conventional" radar, as far as I'm concerned, *is* pulse radar Many will argue that because of the radar subject , but every Furuno, Garmin, Raymarine etc. aboard yachts is a pulse radar.

ciao!
Nick.
Yet another subject to learn more about...that's what keeps sailing interesting. Most of the units I have used are older Furuno or Raymarine so maybe I've used "pulse" and didn't know it.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 08:40   #12

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
I have broadband radar and my old pulse radar was better at rain detection. Broadband is better at seeing through it, and for close target resolution. A big boat would benefit from both aboard.
YEAH! Wouldn't that be nice!
So, I guess it comes down to what's ones priority, objects vs weather. I like the idea of low power consumption, but would like to see the storm heads as well. Been reading the weather for years w/o radar so I think I would prefer the low power consumption. It's hard to "have your cake and eat it too"
Old 16-03-2012, 08:42   #13
Eternal Member

In crossing the Gulf of Maine a few years ago we easily tracked thunderstorms approaching from the west on our green-screen CRT Furuno 1832 radar (4KW with 24" radome).

We were able to pick the thinnest part and pass thru nicely...were surprised it worked so well!

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 08:46   #14

Boat: Sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri
Thanks for the direct comparison!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L
One thing to consider is the difference between 2kw and 4kw small boat radar. In dense thunder storms 4kw will give you a much better view of what is in the storm area and how thick the cells are. At times you can't go around them but you can head through the thinnest part.
Agreed: With the 2kW we were able to see the front edge of a squall, not much further. We upgraded to a 4kW (old style, pulse) and the difference to seeing into bad weather is very noticeable. We can now see other boats in the squalls (after tweaking FTC and RAIN parameters)

Dirk
LeaseOnLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 09:36   #15

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: Squall Detection, Pulse Radar vs Broadband?

Ive never had a NEW radar system LOL only the old ctr greenie LOL and never had any trouble seeing and tracking storm fronts, rain squalls ect also birds if ya trimm it up a little ! Whats the big difference?? Im really asking cus Im sure not gonna have that type on the new boat when we find it !

Tags
broadband, radar