Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2012, 10:43   #16

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Re: Squall detection, pulse radar vs broadband?

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
YEAH! Wouldn't that be nice!
So, I guess it comes down to what's ones priority, objects vs weather. I like the idea of low power consumption, but would like to see the storm heads as well. Been reading the weather for years w/o radar so I think I would prefer the low power consumption. It's hard to "have your cake and eat it too"
There's a bit of a paradox here. Because the draw of pulse radars...out of guard mode...is considerably higher than the newer "digital" models, there is the tendency to use them sparingly when not under motor.

But a digital radar might be switched on and left on during the entirety of a trip because of the perception that "they hardly use any power compared to the old style".

The situation is analogous to that of LEDs vs. incadescents. It is becoming common to see cabin lights blazing away at night in mooring fields or anchorages, because LEDs "don't draw anything".

One wonders if two measures have been quantified: a) Does a "low-draw" device in fact draw as much or more than a "high-draw" device used intermittantly, and b) does the presumed extended run time of radars and LEDs have the possibility of "wearing them out"?

I have noted for some time that properly sealed radars of the old type can last a pretty long time and wonder if this is because they are in fact rather low in total hours of usage.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2012, 11:10   #17

Re: Squall Detection, Pulse Radar vs Broadband?

Oh come on now! Let's dont be practical! Those people with the LED's shining brightly for hours think they are saving amps! :>)

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2012, 15:31   #18

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
But a digital radar might be switched on and left on during the entirety of a trip because of the perception that "they hardly use any power compared to the old style".
Another possibility is that since broadband is "instant-on" the radar will be left off until needed. I wonder how the broadbanders on this board use them in practice?

The smaller pulse radars are pretty thrifty as well nowadays if their literature is to be believed. The Furuno 1715 uses 8w in "watchmode" and 38w max.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2012, 17:13   #19
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
The smaller pulse radars are pretty thrifty as well nowadays if their literature is to be believed. The Furuno 1715 uses 8w in "watchmode" and 38w max.
50% (estimated guess) of the people who are looking at the power consumption of pulse vs continuous radar think that a 4kW pulse radar consumes 4kW of electrical power... and can't be moved from that state of mind.

For the rest, others have mailed the actual consumption of their new pulse radars and those figures have been put aside or even ridiculed because they don't fit with the money-saving idea of a 3G/4G radar. The new iPad does 4G so a 4G radar must be real good

There have been mentions of weather, active radar transponders, RACON and SART visibility etc. but it all gets put aside along with the rest of the valid arguments and comparison pictures of the two radar technologies anyway. Once people want 4G they stop at nothing

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2012, 17:35   #20
F51

Nick is right, ALL radar emits pulses. My opinion is that "broadband" is a marketing term, not to be confused with the truth.
F51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2012, 18:03   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

I just put a Si-Tex MDS-1 onto Boracay. Smallest and cheapest radar I could find.

I'm assuming that, not being a broadband, it's a pulse radar.

The specification say that power consumption is 30W or less. That seems to be about right as there's not a fuse over 5 amps and nothing I've been near seems to get warm.

I not putting my head anywhere near the antenna though.

Now all I have to do is play "Identify that blob".
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2012, 18:07   #22

Boat: Sailboat

Maybe we should drop "pulse" and "broadband", but use "magnetron" and "solid state" as defining parameters for the radar.
  • The magnetrons are the rotating systems, in the dome, or open array. The magnetrons need to be pre-heated and kept warm, takes time (90sec on my 4kW) and uses extra energy, mine uses about 1.7A for keeping the scanner/magnetron warm, in standby mode.
  • The solid state radars are the new breed, interesting to me since they don't need the heat, should save on power, and are on instantly.
LeaseOnLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2012, 18:56   #23

Boat: Sailboat

Learning more, for example from the specs for the solid state radar BR24:

http://www.jgtech.com/pdf/Broadband%...ech%20Spec.pdf

There is a rotating element in there too, at 24rpm.
LeaseOnLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2012, 19:04   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
For the rest, others have mailed the actual consumption of their new pulse radars and those figures have been put aside or even ridiculed because they don't fit with the money-saving idea of a 3G/4G radar. The new iPad does 4G so a 4G radar must be real good
Nick,

No fair messing with a feeble mind. Using LeaseOnLife's terminology, did you mean "solid state" or "magnetron" when you said that the actual consumption of pulse radar was not as advertised?

Yours in befuddlement,

Old 17-03-2012, 19:11   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaseOnLife View Post
Learning more for example from the specs for the solid state radar BR24:

http://www.jgtech.com/pdf/Broadband%...ech%20Spec.pdf

There is a rotating element in there too, at 24rpm.
Thanks for that. From the link:

Power consumption
Operating: 17W (Typ.) @ 13.8VDC
Standby: 1.6W (Typ.) @ 13.8VDC ~ 110mA

I wonder if "Typ" means "typical" or "typo"

If "typical" I wonder what that means? I'm hoping to be able to chat with a Navico rep at the Strictly Sail show in Oakland to find out.
I assume that advertised power usage of magnetron radars includes the dedicated display, but that the broadband numbers refer only to the radome as there are many different MFD's that can be used? Once the MFD is factored in the power savings would seem to diminish unless it is assumed the MFD is on all the time anyway. This would not be the case on our boat as we use Open CPN on a netbook for charting.

Tags
broadband, radar