Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2016, 12:53   #1

Boat: Valiant 40
Splicing Garmin 24 HD radar cable

I need to splice my Garmin 24 HD (GMR 24 HD) radar cable. It was already spliced with each of the 8 wires spliced in a small pressed 1/4" round transparent yellowish plastic blob, seemingly with some heat tool. I've seen it before I'm just not sure what it's called. I had to cut it at the splice when the mast came down last week.

I've read a few threads on the subject here at CF, and the advice spans "It's a black art, very difficult and time consuming, requires prior skills" all the way to "throw it on a terminal bar". Seems that some radar are more forgiving than others, and I'm hoping someone can tell me where mine fits before I go down any dead ends.

Ideally, I'd like to throw it on a terminal bar because that's easy, and if it needs to come off again a plug will not easily fit through the access way where the cable is run. If I need to get out the solder gun and put a plug on, I can make that work if someone can tell me the specific type of plug I need.

On a related note, the radar power and cable were run not through the chase where the rest of the mast cables made their way up to their connections, but a different, longer route. Is there a good reason to run the cables away from the rest of the mast wires (lights and VHF)?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 13:05   #2
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Splicing Garmin 24 HD radar cable

Garmin may sell yellow plastic blobs for the job, or tell you what they are called.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 04:32   #3

Boat: Valiant 40

I had thought the radome dated from 1998, but it may be newer, and it looks like it's just Cat5 cable and that I can just put an RJ-45 plug on each use a coupler for the splice, then heat shrink the assembly.

I now remember where I've seen those yellow blobs before...landline telephone wire splices of yore.

And the manual for the radome, which I finally dug up, mentions running the cable away from power and VHF, so it's going back to it's old route, as much of a PITA as that is.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 15:50   #4

All Garmin radars use what is essentially an ethernet cable with added power wires. You probably *could* splice it on a terminal bar and it *might* work, but you'd be much better off maintaining the relationship of the twisted pairs and using RJ45 plugs and a suitable connector.
boatbod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
garmin, radar