Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2017, 22:22   #1

Boat: Catalina 36 / Morgan 33 OI
Speed Depth Wind and Navigation equip. replacement advise.

Time to upgrade instruments:
Have these 3 round holes on cockpit that hold... Wind, Speed and Depth Standard Horizon bezels that do not work well anymore.
Bought new, unused Datamarine instrument faces and tried to find new transducers to make them work, (although they would not be the up to date NMEA 2000) but cannot figure out what model transducers to buy to match these new but obsolete displays which are:
Datamarine Windspeed display face model LX 360Q (shows a 7 pin receptacle for masthead unit which I don't have).
Datamarine Speed display face Corinthian II B (has an RCA receptacle looking hole for future transducer).
Datamarine Depth display face model 3030 (has 3 pins to connect to future transducer).
Yes, I can do without all of these instruments and the effort of trying to find transducers, by using ....telltales, hand held anemometer, GPS and a nice wide angle fishfinder with color contours but.....what do I do with those 3 holes??.
Behind those 3 holes in a perfect line up, there is a beautiful teak box made to cover the wires for these, and wiring for the also old Furuno Radar and Chartplotter and Humingbird fish finder wiring on the cabin side of things. All these electronics were Furuno's best at the time, old technology by now but... let's just concentrate on what to do with the three round holes and the new Datamarine Display faces.
This is what I'm debating in my head:
A company shop named DMI; will probably be able to find transducers, at a price that could be best used towards newer equipment?. But I don't have to have the latest Wireless, WiFi, Bluetooth or color displays in 3 dimensional format or surround sound voice activated gizmos that talk with a computer and I don't understand the complications and are afraid of losing all electronic data at once. I am not too versed on new technology.
Need Speed Over the Water to calculate current, (have the thruhull filled with the old transducer now). Have Speed Over the Ground via GPS, Depth via fishfinder, Wind direction via mast windex and telltales on sails for fine adjustments. ( For wind speed, birds destroy the masthead units).
Also need a better and simple way to navigate with electronic charts at the cockpit in full sun and rain using a simple chartplotter or screen that is not smaller than 5 inches since I already have a handheld GPS that is hard to see.
Also some way to have Email, and search the Web for Weather and looking up sites. Have android smart phones with data and text to do some of this but may need WiFi or Hotspot?
Cruising grounds would be the Florida Coasts, Keys, Bahamas and some other Caribbean Islands mostly singlehanding a full keel 33' cruiser.
What are your suggestions? Use one of those cockpit bulkead holes with a newer speed/temp display and use the existing thruhull fitting for the future transducer? What to do with the other 2 holes next to this?
Thanks for your thoughts and ideas !.
slowpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 21:08   #2

Boat: Horizon 68'
Re: Speed Depth Wind and Navigation equip. replacement advise.

Hi Slowpoker

I think I have the same Datamarine Instruments that you have.

I have attached a pic.

Did you figure out what to replace them with ?

I need a Depth display unit as one has started acting up after all these years.

Do you know who may have any of these?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Data Marine Link 2.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	162965  
Afenton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
depth, men, navigation, wind