Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2019, 23:54   #1

Speed, Depth, Radar - not showing on second Raymarine MfD

My first post. I apologise if this is a stupid question and I might doing something horrible wrong but I can't find an answer in the manuals or on Google.
I
cannot make out why my cockpit C120 will not show some data or let me activate radar. I have two C120. The master is the cockpit one which holds the charts as well. External compass and AIS data is displayed fine.
However it will not display speed, depth or will let me activate the radar (no data source) as long the secondary MfD is powered off.
Both connected via Sealtalk NG.
Sensors and other displays are mixed Sealtalk 1 and SeatalkNG.
Does anybody experienced similar issues?Click image for larger version

Name:	20190909_094506.jpeg
Views:	165
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	199473Click image for larger version

Name:	20190909_094527.jpeg
Views:	93
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	199474Click image for larger version

Name:	20190830_142038.jpeg
Views:	85
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	199475Click image for larger version

Name:	20190830_172645.jpeg
Views:	92
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	199476
2 OnTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 03:16   #2

Boat: Lagoon 400S2
Re: Speed, Depth, Radar - not showing on second Raymarine MfD

You'll have to connect them via SeatalkHS, there are crossover cables and cables to a Raymarine HS switch. If your radar goes to the switch, use a cat5e RJ45 to seatalkHS cable from the switch to the second display, otherwise connect the displays by the crossover cable directly.

If your displays have only one HS input you need a LAN switch to connect all 3 devises, you can use the raymarine rugged unit or any other residential high speed LAN switch, protocol is based on TCP/IP like any regular computer network. If you go the residential way, make sure the swith is powered by a 12V power supply, so you can connect it directly to your battery without a additional power supply/step up or step down converter or even worse, inverter.

A connection via SeatalkNG is then obsolete.
Old 09-09-2019, 04:41   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
You'll have to connect them via SeatalkHS, there are crossover cables and cables to a Raymarine HS switch. If your radar goes to the switch, use a cat5e RJ45 to seatalkHS cable from the switch to the second display, otherwise connect the displays by the crossover cable directly.

If your displays have only one HS input you need a LAN switch to connect all 3 devises, you can use the raymarine rugged unit or any other residential high speed LAN switch, protocol is based on TCP/IP like any regular computer network. If you go the residential way, make sure the swith is powered by a 12V power supply, so you can connect it directly to your battery without a additional power supply/step up or step down converter or even worse, inverter.

A connection via SeatalkNG is then obsolete.
Thank you for your response.
I can see that the radar is connected with a Sealtalk HS Crossover Coupler to the chart table C120. RJ45
So if I hook up that connection to my Ethernet switch and run a patch cable to both C120 that should enable radar on either chartplotter, right?
What about the depth and Speed. I thought the sensors would distribute the signal via Seatalk anyway. Should the cockpit C120 not be able to display those data without the secondary C120 enabled?
Old 09-09-2019, 05:04   #4

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

All data will be distributed via ethernet. You must configure one plotter as master, you will be asked as soon as the ethernet connection is established and the device recognized on the network. Also when using a switch, no crossover adapter is required. You can configure this N2K/SeaTalk data forwarding on the master too.
It is almost plug and play...

Btw, using the HS connection also shares the charts of the main unit to the slave display, AIS targets, acquired radar targets, routes, waypoints, auto pilot controls etc.

Worth it.
Old 10-09-2019, 03:40   #5

Thanks, will get the patch cables an give it a go.
Old 11-09-2019, 17:10   #6

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 OnTour View Post
Thanks, will get the patch cables an give it a go.
I think you have your answer, but one more thing. Change the cockpit unit to Slave, and the nav desk to Master. That way, your valuable chart card is down below, locked up when you go ashore - way to easy to slip on board and remove the chart card from a cockpit MFD. Apart from the financial loss, getting another chart card will usually take time.
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2024, 16:38   #7
ZFG

Boat: Passport 42

I have a raymarine c120 (old i know) at the nav desk getting the radar and ais info, then i have an E77 at the helm that is currently not networked into anything else (just has power). Can I connect these two together so the helm display(e77) can show the radar and ais data from the nav desk display?

Is all that I need to accomplish that, this cable? ethernet side into the c120 at the nav desk and the network side into the helm display?

https://defender.com/en_us/raymarine...atalk-hs-cable
ZFG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
depth, marine, radar, raymarine