Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2013, 10:26   #1

Boat: Kadey Krogen 39
Some questions about my new B&G electronics

Ahoy all,
I have just completed a fairly extensive, complete, electronics retrofit on my Pacific Seacraft Dana. I removed all of the old equipment and installed a full NMEA2000 network using Maretron cabling and components. I also installed N2K wind (B&G 508), depth (Airmar DT800), speed (Airmar ST800), GPS, (Garmin 19X) and heading, (Maretron SSC220) sensors. Also installed were a Vesper XB-8000 AIS transceiver and splitter, Simrad RS35 VHF, Navico GoFree wireless, TP32 Tillerpilot, 2 each Triton displays, 2 each Zeus Touch 7 MFDs and a Pilot controller.
I used Times Microwave LMR 400 coax with Amphenol PL259 connectors for the VHF/AIS stuff and various Ancor wiring and connectors otherwise.
Everything is on the N2K network and talking to each other, except the wireless module as that is ethernet connected to one of the Zeus displays. All software is up to date per the B&G and Simrad websites.
I am fairly experienced in aircraft maintenance and avionics installations and am confident this installation is not technically deficient. Standard marine methodology was used throughout.
I am, however, not a techno geek, so when it comes to software configuration and getting everything to interface properly, that is where I fall down. I have read and re-read the manuals with mixed results. Here are some issues, if anyone cares to comment.
(1) I am not sure how to get the Zeus displays (one in the cabin and one in the cockpit) to mirror each other. They are both connected to power independent of each other and I have one set as instance 001 and the other, instance 002 on the network.
(2) I have been unable to get the Go Free wireless module to work at all. It powers up and the Zeus it is connected to sees it, but that is were it ends. No ability for the Zeus share anything wirelessly and my Android phone (with the GoFree app) does not see any wireless network.
(3) The B&G 508 wind data constantly varies up and down in speed as much as 50-100 knots and the angles vary in a similar manner as displayed on the Triton and Zeus displays. I have rebooted, reset and scratched my head repeatedly. All to no avail. This wind data issue affects the autopilot negatively, of course, as it confuses it, causing it to drop off. The diagnostics built into both the Tritons and the Zeus' indicate no network problems and show ok regarding wind data input.
Otherwise the network and it's components work well. Depth, hull speed, water temp, GPS data, AIS data, basic tillerpilot functions, chartplotter functions, etc. function as expected. I'm sure most of this is related to my computer abilities,
except for the wind sensor (which I suspect is suspect).
Any comments are appreciated.
Bill
muttskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 19:26   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Some questions about my new B&G electronics

Start simple. Disconnect all instruments but the wind instrument and work on that problem. The way you describe the problem its possible you have a termination issue.

Then check the wireless with only it connected. Does the wireless use Bluetooth and is your phone Bluetooth enabled, etc. One thing at a time.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:24   #3

Boat: Kadey Krogen 39
Re: Some questions about my new B&G electronics

Just an update for anyone interested. I spoke with Navico/B&G tech support today and learned that the two Zeus Touch 7s are not designed to mirror each other, other than to share navigation data such as waypoints, etc. So that 'problem' is not really a problem.
They also confirmed that the symptom of the wind variability is due to a fault in the sensor and they will replace it.
As to the wireless, that is not yet resolved but they are going to have their GoFree wifi expert give me a call to resolve the issue.
I must say that the customer support I have received from them is excellent. The support representative was knowledgeable and helpful and I wanted to mention that for anyone considering their stuff.
muttskie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electronics