Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 09:37   #61

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: So I Am Buying an iPad, Which One?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
A dissenting opinion: I rarely use the MacBook Pro on my boat anymore. I've coupled the iPad with a wireless keyboard, and it does everything I need a computer to do. With G4 (LTE) connectivity, it's almost as fast as wireless when I'm on the hook, and it has very nearly replaced the TV as well as the computer.

I'm surprised that people still use mouse technology. That's so '80s! Do you still use those cute little mousepads? My tax guy sends me a new one every January with the year's calendar printed on it. We use it for a trivet.
MAC's wireless mouse doesn't need a pad. I run mine on top of everything even my hand or leg, depends on what I'm doing around the computer.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:44   #62
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
MAC's wireless mouse doesn't need a pad. I run mine on top of everything even my hand or leg, depends on what I'm doing around the computer.
That's absolutely quaint. I'm intrigued by the loyalty to antiquated technologies within some sectors of the sailing community. Do the same cruisers who use a mouse also use sextants?

Anybody out there storing data on floppy drives?
Old 04-02-2013, 09:47   #63

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
That's absolutely quaint. I'm intrigued by the loyalty to antiquated technologies within some sectors of the sailing community. Do the same cruisers who use a mouse also use sextants?

Anybody out there storing data on floppy drives?
Except a mouse is not antiquated. Even on a touchscreen laptop, the mouse is more precise than touch. And anyone that needs serious computing can't get by with just an iPad.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:55   #64
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytrix View Post
Except a mouse is not antiquated. Even on a touchscreen laptop, the mouse is more precise than touch. And anyone that needs serious computing can't get by with just an iPad.
What a fun thread... and with Mark back too, I can't resist and will join

People with MacBook using a mouse... how silly when you have the best touchpad already built-in! Actually,using Apple desktop computers, I prefer the magic touchpad over magic mouse:

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 13:48   #65

Boat: Catalina 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by landonshaw View Post
So I will get the iPad with retina display, the order gets down to telephone plans???? I am in the Caribbean, Lime and Digicel, I use Lime. I don’t intend to use this for telephone service only Wi-Fi and GPS. As was stated, the GPS WILL WORK, maybe a little longer to connect.

Does it matter, unless, maybe I should have it equipped with whatever service I have on my US home phone in case I ever decide too use in the States? Comments.
Definitely get the retina display, much better in sunlight. As for phone plans, are you still talking about the ipad? Unless I missed something, you can't use the ipad as a phone. I guess you just mean data plans? You would need that to use the built in GPS when you're not connected via wifi, but you can also buy an external gps unit that connects to the ipad via bluetooth, and from what others have said that works just as well. I didn't get the ipad with cellular so I will go the external gps route myself.
Old 04-02-2013, 15:43   #66

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius

saw77 - yes getting the iPad with retina, 64G. The iPad I am getting is the Wi+Fi & Cellular. on the cellular side you sign up for one of the three: Sprint, Verizen, AT&T. Here in Grenara we only have Lime and Digicel. So, I will get the availability of cellular but not sign up for a plan. I will go Wi-Fi when I can and be able to use the GPS anywhere at sea. Download all of the chart and aps before sailing.

I am also getting a iPad tank waterproof case:
High Quality Waterproof iPad Cases
Looks very durable. It has a bracket to attach to the helm. Someone here mentioned they have an ap that signals them every 15 minutes. Looking forward to my trip at Easter sailing to Trinidad at night, watching a movie and being signaled every 15 minute to look around.
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 16:59   #67

There is a SIM card in the iPads so I would think you should be able to use any plan. But don't know that for sure, haven't researched it.
Old 04-02-2013, 17:04   #68

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius

Yes, it looks like they are not locked like a cell phone. Those you have to go to a dealor and have it unlocked to put a new card in. I have been told that the iPad will take different sim cards.
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 17:10   #69

Mine pops right out.>>> iPhone and iPad: How to remove the SIM card
Old 04-02-2013, 17:13   #70
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

A bit of confusion here... the ones who talk about locked mean a software lock that only allows the SIM card of one company to function in the device.

iPads do not have a SIMlock like that, while most iPhones do. But you can order "factory unlocked" iPhones from Apple too.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 21:25   #71

Boat: Catalina 34
Quote:
saw77 - yes getting the iPad with retina, 64G. The iPad I am getting is the Wi+Fi & Cellular. on the cellular side you sign up for one of the three: Sprint, Verizen, AT&T. Here in Grenara we only have Lime and Digicel. So, I will get the availability of cellular but not sign up for a plan. I will go Wi-Fi when I can and be able to use the GPS anywhere at sea. Download all of the chart and aps before sailing.

I am also getting a iPad tank waterproof case:
High Quality Waterproof iPad Cases
Looks very durable. It has a bracket to attach to the helm. Someone here mentioned they have an ap that signals them every 15 minutes. Looking forward to my trip at Easter sailing to Trinidad at night, watching a movie and being signaled every 15 minute to look around.
I've been considering one of those cases too. Pricey but still cheaper than a plotter. There are a number of apps that track your boats position while anchored, Drag Queen and Boat Monitor are two I've seen with good reviews. Also EarthNC for charting is nice.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:51   #72

I have been using the Navionics app but recently started using the Garmin app and like it much better. Way faster and easier to use.
OnTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:28   #73

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Yes, it looks like they are not locked like a cell phone. Those you have to go to a dealor and have it unlocked to put a new card in. I have been told that the iPad will take different sim cards.
Over here the iPad is sold in consumer electronics stores without a sim card. You just buy one, and then pop in a sim of your choice.
I bought the wifi + cellular one because I wanted a GPS. (The GPS and Cellular radio are on one chip, which is why you always have both).
I can pair the iPad with my iPhone, and use that for data access when at home. When abroad I just buy a local sim. I just walk in a mobile phone shop and ask for a "pay as you go" data sim for iPad.

I personaly like the Imray app for the iPad. Any other users?
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:59   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
I personaly like the Imray app for the iPad. Any other users?
It looks interesting as a free type of iNavX with rules of the road and chart symbols for sale, which most of us should already have in book form. It basically eliminates some of the paper we have to carry. Good and bad, both!
Old 05-02-2013, 22:15   #75

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
It looks interesting as a free type of iNavX with rules of the road and chart symbols for sale, which most of us should already have in book form. It basically eliminates some of the paper we have to carry. Good and bad, both!
You had me look again. And yes, Imray also has a "Rules of the Road", and a "Chart Symbols" app. However I was talking about the Imray charting app. I like it for its integration of currents. And I like the way the charts look.
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, Ipad, ipad