Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2013, 18:16   #46

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius
Re: So I Am Buying an iPad, Which One?

Thanks for the iPad app Garmin BlueChart Mobile. I was not aware of it. THis is my first apple purchase.
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 19:18   #47

Boat: Leopard 40 catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to c.spots
(c.spots - I have added a link to a case that attaches to the helm. Given the iPad is at the helm, using Navionics charts, would you then accept that it could take the place of your chartplotter? If not, why?)

The Garmin app looks pretty similar to the Navionics Ipad app. I didn't check the price of the charts.
I may be in Australia in a year.
I don't want to pay $400 for the Navionics Australia card for the chart plotter, especially since I don't plan on staying there long. The detailed charts will be on my IPad instead. After that experiment, I will be able to report better regarding any problems with IPad for navigation. But I will still use the chart plotter for everything except detailed charts. I wonder if Navionics will add a forward course line to their software?

Life shouldn't be a race to the finish line - enjoy the journey.
c.spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 21:00   #48
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by landonshaw View Post
If you are meaning that the iPad does not control the helm, I would agree. I have an autopilot thaqt is not tied into the helm. But if you are saying that it will not replace a Chartplotter that is in the cockpit, I am confused.
If you have raymarine gear on the boat you can get an app (Raycontrol and Rayview) that will allow you to drive the boat from the iPad. I am no expert in this area but have used rayview on a boat that had e series gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
iPad is not direct sunlight viewable and can not display Radar
Have been told that the Retina display equipped I Pads are very viewable in sunlight. You would probably be best to test it your self though. One man's viewable is another's invisible.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 21:34   #49

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Gosh us fellas with paper charts and hand held GPS's are so far behind !! We can just find are way and save a few hundred bucks! Ive never found a reason to have a helm mounted chart plotter! I know that most of our sailing is offshore, and in the gulf most of our sailing days are short cus the distances are short between islands. But in the Pacific where we spent most of our time, about half the time we were surrounded by many miles of empty ocean !! and a simple plot was enough! I find that paper and a good set of eyes are enough to get me where I wish to go !! I don't need something that messes with my night vision anyway !! Just sayin how do you think folks found there way before chart plotters ?? no big deal just my 2 cents !!Heck if my eletronics go tit's up I can still get where I wish to go!
Old 01-02-2013, 05:04   #50
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

No one is dissing you Bob, so why are you dissin those who want something other than paper and eyes and a hand held GPS. I dont have an Ipad or similar - but they are a very very cheap way to enter the world of electronic charting, in fact way cheaper than paper.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:51   #51

Quote:
I have no difficulty using my iPad in direct sunlight, though I do set the brightness high. My gf uses her iPad in bright sunlight more than I go into bright sunlight and she doesn't even need to adjust the brightness.
Old 01-02-2013, 14:17   #52

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
I have no difficulty using my iPad in direct sunlight, though I do set the brightness high. My gf uses her iPad in bright sunlight more than I go into bright sunlight and she doesn't even need to adjust the brightness.
Here is my iPad 3 at the helm. It works, but in bright noon time light my chartplotter is far better
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iPad at the helm.jpg
Views:	556
Size:	396.2 KB
ID:	53898  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 14:51   #53
cruiser

I have transas isailor on my ipad... chars are exelent, quite cheap and updates are free.

Transas iSailor News

Transas iSailor Chart Folios

https://itunes.apple.com/app/transas...or/id398456162
scimitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 15:13   #54

Boat: S2 11.0
What are the advantages of garmin blue chart over navionics? I sail almost exclusively on the Chesapeake and currently use navionics.
FruiVita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 15:38   #55

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FruiVita View Post
What are the advantages of garmin blue chart over navionics? I sail almost exclusively on the Chesapeake and currently use navionics.
If your sailing in the Chesapeake, Navionics is perfect.
Garmin Blue Charts really shines for use in the Caribbean, because it has the best detailed Explorer Charts. Explorer Charts are the most accurate.

Keep your Navionics, it’s all good

Here is all of my Boat Navigation app's
I have Navionics also, which I do like. Just purchased the $4.99 Nav Module upgrade to it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat Nav programs.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	53902  
Old 04-02-2013, 06:50   #56

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius

So I will get the iPad with retina display, the order gets down to telephone plans???? I am in the Caribbean, Lime and Digicel, I use Lime. I don’t intend to use this for telephone service only Wi-Fi and GPS. As was stated, the GPS WILL WORK, maybe a little longer to connect.

Does it matter, unless, maybe I should have it equipped with whatever service I have on my US home phone in case I ever decide too use in the States? Comments.
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:59   #57

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by landonshaw View Post
So I will get the iPad with retina display, the order gets down to telephone plans???? I am in the Caribbean, Lime and Digicel, I use Lime. I don’t intend to use this for telephone service only Wi-Fi and GPS. As was stated, the GPS WILL WORK, maybe a little longer to connect.

Does it matter, unless, maybe I should have it equipped with whatever service I have on my US home phone in case I ever decide too use in the States? Comments.
As long as you get the cellular iPad model you will get the GPS antenna built in.
I only turn on the cellular service in the summer months when the boat is in the water. The rest of the year I use the WiFi
Old 04-02-2013, 07:40   #58
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I have the iPad 3 with GPS.

It's a kids toy for the brainless YouTube generation.

Without a mouse computers are about as useful as a 1980s mainframe. They work but realllllly....

My PC is much better as a computer, for navigation, for wifi connectivity, for editing video, photos, for everything.

The wank iPad is better only that its small to slip into a daypack for trips to shore.
I am typing this on my iPad as I am ashore.... But I had the PC here too as I had some real work to do.

So buy a proper PC laptop first and foremost and an IPad so you can feel like you are trendy.

In fact with what I know now a iPhone would probably be better as its truly transportable and has a camera in it... O iPad has a camera too, but you can't have it in your pocket.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:21   #59

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Actually with the new Simrad GoFree wifi, the radar can be displayed on the iPad and other devices. >>> http://www.simrad-yachting.com/en-US...ch/?query=wifi
Old 04-02-2013, 09:11   #60
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Without a mouse computers are about as useful as a 1980s mainframe. They work but realllllly....

My PC is much better as a computer, for navigation, for wifi connectivity, for editing video, photos, for everything.
A dissenting opinion: I rarely use the MacBook Pro on my boat anymore. I've coupled the iPad with a wireless keyboard, and it does everything I need a computer to do. With G4 (LTE) connectivity, it's almost as fast as wireless when I'm on the hook, and it has very nearly replaced the TV as well as the computer.

I'm surprised that people still use mouse technology. That's so '80s! Do you still use those cute little mousepads? My tax guy sends me a new one every January with the year's calendar printed on it. We use it for a trivet.

Tags
buying, Ipad, ipad