Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2020, 09:32   #1

Boat: Tartan 3800
Smartwatches with marine charts

I was looking at Garmin InReach devices and came across their Quantix 6 smartwatch. I understand it is the same as their better-known Fenix except preloaded with boating and sailing applications.

It has a GPS receiver and you can preload most of the Garmin charts on it. Also some autopilot control features, like heading changes.

Has anyone used this? Seems like it could be compelling on smaller boats, on other people's boats, and for sitting up on the bow while still keeping an eye on things.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 10:48   #2

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Re: Smartwatches with marine charts

I purchased one as a replacement for my original Quatrix. It turns out that the device needs a "SmartPhone" to connect to upon which one can store charts. Absent the phone, the device has very limited applications vs. the original Quatrix which was very useful but, as usual with Garmin products, of limited service lifespan. I returned the Quatrix 6 and am making do with my original watch until it dies completely.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2020, 03:48   #3

Boat: Najad 343

I believe the marine charts can be stored on a quatix6 similar to topo maps and ski maps. However you got to buy a separate copy of the maps for the quatix. I use the boat data app quite often to display eta and other trip related parts. It acts like yet another data marine display. It is however mostly s toy, at least for me.
__fdom__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2020, 18:38   #4

I believe that SEAiq and qtVLM can display charts on Google watches (and maybe Apple) when connected via Bluetooth to a laptop. We're getting beyond Dick Tracy now.
fogmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2020, 19:40   #5

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

I don't have the best eyes but I cannot imagine trying to read a chart on a watch face. How much could you possibly see on an inch square +/-??? You'll spend all your time scrolling - lol.

For less than $200 you can get yourself a 10-inch Samsung tablet with built in GPS for your charts. It will be much much more useable than any watch could possibly be no matter how good the watch.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charts, marine