Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2013, 03:15   #1

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
Smart TV Work with Navionics App

Looking at getting a smart Tv for the master bedroom and was wanting to know if anyone knows would navionics app would work.

They come with the Google apps available, easier than running repeater cables from the raymarine plotter.
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 04:13   #2

Boat: LM 22
Re: Smart tv work with navionics app

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkdig View Post
Looking at getting a smart Tv for the master bedroom and was wanting to know if anyone knows would navionics app would work.

They come with the Google apps available, easier than running repeater cables from the raymarine plotter.
Cool idea. Is there any Google TV's with GPS built in? Otherwise it might be hard to get your current position plotted on the screen.

Alternative solutions to running Navionics on the TV itself would be to attach a device to the TV that can run it. My initial thought was the Android mini pc's like those found on android mini pc | eBay . I would make sure that they actually have the Google Play market before buying one, since they might not be certified by Google to get that. It might still be a problem to get a GPS capable solution for this.
Another alternative is to just use an MHL capable Android smart phone and an MHL adapter to connect it to a HDMI port on any TV. That would ensure that there was a GPS in the device and that it had access to Google Play. At the same time, since it will have a SIM slot it could act as a wifi hotspot for the boat. Depending on the material of the boat and the location of the master cabin it might still be hard to acquire a GPS fix from the master cabin.
madsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 04:49   #3

Boat: Nordhavn 47
Re: Smart TV Work with Navionics App

You can also get one with Airplay or add the Apple TV and use any "i" device to project to the big screen. You can interact with a bluetooth keyboard if desired.
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 05:15   #4

Boat: a sailing boat

Last time I read on Navionics website (maybe 6 months ago or thereabouts) Navionics App for Android was certified only for a very limited number of devices. Most Android tablets were NOT on that list and Navionics did NOT offer any refund policy.

There is no Navionics Demo App either, as far as I know.

Beware.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 06:08   #5

The apple tv thing may work once i work out how to use it.

Will try it next weekend

Mainly want to know position when i am off watch,something to glance at and then go back to sleep.
Old 23-09-2013, 10:15   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Last time I read on Navionics website (maybe 6 months ago or thereabouts) Navionics App for Android was certified only for a very limited number of devices. Most Android tablets were NOT on that list and Navionics did NOT offer any refund policy.

There is no Navionics Demo App either, as far as I know.

Beware.

b.
I have tried Navionics Mobile (not HD) on three different phones and one 7" tablet and it worked nicely on all of them:
  • Sony Xperia Active
  • Sony Xperia Go
  • Samsung Galaxy Note GT-N7000
  • Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
It was only certified for one of them (the Note).

Considering the price in comparison to what it would cost to buy a Garmin map for the same area I think Navionics Mobile is reasonably affordable.

To OP:
Do you actually need the big screen? Couldn't you just keep a tablet next to your bed?
Old 23-09-2013, 21:58   #7

Have the tablet next to bed but was thinking i can have it up on the screen with brightness turned dow low and just glance at it when 1/2 asleep
Old 24-09-2013, 00:10   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsb View Post
Considering the price in comparison to what it would cost to buy a Garmin map for the same area I think Navionics Mobile is reasonably affordable.
On the other hand it is extremely expensive compared to the average Android App.
Old 24-09-2013, 00:10   #9

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc

plug it into you HDMI and you can have it on the screen, You need the tablet plugged in to power anyway

sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
navionics