Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2008, 08:00   #1

Boat: Beneteau 41' - s/v allegedly
Send a message via Skype™ to allegedly
Getting all my "ducks in a row" so that I can be on the water for a year or so. Been getting all my communications active before I leave, so as to not have any problems once I depart for points south. One of which is to maintain contact with my father. Bought a number in Miami from Skype, (305 area code), for my dad to use. He's retired, fixed income. When he calls me by dialing the area code plus the number 305-XXX-XXXX, (in Miami you must use the area code for a local call) a recording said that he must dial either a 1 or a 0 before the area code. I live in the Tampa area ( area code 727). Now, I don't want him getting charged for a long distance call. My question is, is this normal for a skype number.
allegedly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2008, 05:19   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I believe that only Skype-to-Skype calls are totally free.
Make free calls and set your conversations free with Skype

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2008, 05:27   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Now, I don't want him getting charged for a long distance call. My question is, is this normal for a skype number.
Some times there is a long distance charge. If it requires a 1 then it usually has a charge, but you can still get a charge without a 1 sometimes or not. Since you want him to be able to call you, you could request a Skype In number local to him. You can get a number with any area code you want then pick from a list of prefixes. Not all numbers in my personal area code are free and some area codes include free number s for me too. It sounds like that is similar to your father.

If that number on a real phone would incur charges he will pay that charge while you will pay the Skype In charge. You can't do anything except change your Skype In number.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2008, 05:44   #4

Location: Home port: San Diego, California. Currently in Europe.
Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40
You can also call him using Skype. I call my kids in Portland and San Francisco using Skype. From our current location in southern Spain the cost is about 2 cents a minute.
Old 15-01-2008, 06:16   #5

Boat: First learning :) but I'll buy one once im ready.
Skype to Skype is entierly free

LBCS
CptnLBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2008, 07:00   #6

Boat: Lagoon 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnLBS View Post
Skype to Skype is entierly free
And with cameras which are often built into laptops these days, you can see eachother. I frequently converse with parents (USA <-> South Africa) and it's a great way to stay in touch.
Old 15-01-2008, 11:56   #7
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Allegedly-
Your question is not really about Skype, it is the screwed up phone system in Florida. There's no way to tell if your call is local or LD, requires a 1 or doesn't. In fact, I've dialed the same number (in SE florida) without a 1--gotten the intercept that says I need a 1, and then redialed only to get another intercept telling me I CANNOT USE THE 1 and must redial without it. More than once.
The cheapass telcos could easily program their switches to recognize the call both ways, they do this just for spite.
You'll need to have your father call his local telco to find out which exchanges are local calls for him, and then try to get a Skype number which is on a local exchange for him. That may or may not be possible.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2008, 12:46   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Your question is not really about Skype,
Actually it is. FL isn't the only place with these problems. The problem is you can have long distance charges in your own area code as well as be forced to dial the area code with a 1. A skype In phone number is a real phone number that dials you on Skype. It allows people with a telephone to treat you like any other telephone.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 17:31   #9

Boat: Catalina 34 (1988) - Zeno of Elea
skype et al

A bit off topic, but still on Skype ...

It is the best video conferencing solution I've found for PC-to-Mac video chat. I started using it for that reason (seems none of the people I want to talk to have a Mac like me) & it worked great. Then I really got into the other features like the long-distance calling & SMS texting options. If you want to actually record your conversations (both audio & video) there is a $14.99 plug-in you can buy that works WONDERFULLY! I use it for work all the time.

Another cool thing is Google's Grand Central - people call one single number then the service finds you (ringing at home, work, cell etc until it gets you).

You could also consider buying an 800 number. Several services there that do that.

Finally, you could get a cell phone in his local area then use it anywhere. I got a really great cell phone number about 7 years ago & have moved with it all over the country (haven't lived in the city/state of my number for 3 years!).

Good luck keeping in touch
SweetSailor is offline   Reply With Quote