Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2008, 13:33   #1

Boat: Albin Vega 27'
Question SIT NAVFAX200

Click to enlarge

Item #:SIT NAVFAX200Availability:Usually ships the next business day. Price:$425.99

So I have been looking for a way to get good weather info while out and about. I came across this "dohickey/thingamajig". Without destroying my kitty, would this work for reliable weather info, and what else would I need to get the thing going? (I have a laptop already) Does anyone know if this would cost $$$ to operate or download weather info. Are there any reliable & less expensive ways to have access to accurate weather info other than an SSB?

Help poor and dumb!
Old 13-11-2008, 14:29   #2

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Although you don't say, I assume this is a NAVFAx receiver. Save your money. Depending on where you are, there are wx reports rebroadcast on VHF in a myriad of places and where that isn't available, a typical SSB receiver or transceiver is the cheapest alternative, many of which can be had on the uned market for less than this.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2008, 14:43   #3

Boat: Sceptre 41
It would help if you would tell us where you are going to be in need of weather forecasts. If you are cruisng costal US waters you can get forecasts from your VHF radio.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2008, 16:09   #4

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
What you are considering is a SSB receiver, which will theoretically give you offshore weather via weatherfax (when combined with a laptop), or SSB voice. Be aware that these forecasts cover a wide area, and you will get much easier to use weather over the VHF if you are in range. Also be aware that the governments which broadcast this weather are continually threatening to stop the broadcasts, because most commerical and military users get their weather via satellite links.

A used ham rig will get you a better receiver for less money.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2008, 17:42   #5

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Get a KAITO 1103

I have the exact receiver in your post. I took it with me cruising, and never used it (other then to play with it 2 or 3 times).

Take a look at this thread, and get a Kaito 1103. It will do everything that one will do for 1/4 of the cost (and receive other useful bands too).

Every time this comes up, some suggest you need a full HAM rig, or a SSB trancevier.... not so much (unless you want to get into that sort of thing....).

Good luck.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2008, 19:10   #6

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
I also have this receiver, and I have to disagree with Faith. I dont believe the KAITO 1103 can possibly equal the reception of the Sitex, plus the Sitex is a true multiband radio receiver with the ability to connect your laptop and download weather fax charts and satellite maps. I know, I've done it. Here's a link to the company that actually manufactures the radio and a really good active antenna. Nasa Marine Instruments Limited Please, if ya have no idea what you are talking about, dont mislead the poster with your best guess! ( this doesnt apply to Faith, who owns a unit.)

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2008, 06:50   #7

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse
One of these (actually older model HF3/HF3M) came with my boat but I haven't been able to receive anything other than light static on it. I suspect my unit is dead.
Where are these very cheap used HAM rigs someone was talking about?
amytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2008, 15:11   #8

AmyTom, what type of antenna is attached to your unit?

Old 14-11-2008, 17:21   #9

Two different antenas. Port side is a dipole split at the spreader and starboard is straight wire to the top of the shroud. I've also tried straight wire with it hooked up at the house. Been a couple months but if I remember right I couldn't even get AM broadcasts on it.
Old 14-11-2008, 18:37   #10

Whoa! I'd say you are right. I hooked up a simple wire antenna at home when I first bought it, an downloaded weatherfax and listened to Herb right here in New Jersey. Maybe NASA can fix it? Nasa Marine Instruments Limited

Old 15-11-2008, 05:01   #11

Won't bother. Working on getting Technician class license so I'll just get a good quality transceiver.
Old 15-11-2008, 10:40   #12

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
To find used ham transcievers, search on ebay for Icom, Kenwood, and Yaesu HF. Prices are up from the last time I looked, but there were working rigs sold in the last month for $150-$300.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote