Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2020, 08:04   #61

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore
Re: Single Side Band Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzazz View Post
So, let’s compare these two emergency scenarios with an open mind. Your boat has an emergency somewhere in the ocean. Typically, one will be sailing the boat, the other will be dealing with the emergency (fire, flooding, rigging problems:

a) you send a distress message on your Inreach to a friend, he has your locaton, knows all the details, sends you a message back that she is on it and organizes the rescue from her home where she has access to all the numbers, internet, services, etc.

b) you send a GMDSS distress signal on your SSB radio, then you stand by the radio, in poor propagation conditions, trying to explain all the details, repeating yourself endlessly instead of tending to the boat.

Eventually, when help arrives, the coordination will be over VHF anyway.

Which option would you choose? Most people would prefer to have both (I do because I like the ham radio hobby) but if I were to choose one, I would choose Iridium.

Obviously, if you are a commercial vessel you need to have GMDSS, you have plenty of crew to dedicate one to running the radio and you are required to provide help and you would not be calling a friend. But if you are a recreational vessel the standard is different and your requirements are different.

SV Pizzazz

And there it is. You do NOT have to choose one, and you should choose both, ideally. No, you do not have to stand by the radio every minute. You can check back in periodically and receive voice comms from interested parties and then get back to damage control. And it is no more effort to talk on HF than to talk on VHF, anyway. All you need is a remote mic or a long cord for it so you can talk from your cockpit or pilothouse.

Not forecasting doom for those who pick only one or the other, no. But I think both is better, and having a modern SSB enables you to know when someone nearby needs assistance, too. And if I were going with only satellite comms I would want InMarSat. Then you would be alerted if there was a mayday in your area. And vice versa. I don't know what the full GMDSS kit costs though. I suspect a lot more than what an Iridium handheld costs, though.

Having both sat and HF comms is great, and what I would recommend. Why worry about which is "better", when you can have both? Personally I have to give the slight edge to SSB, but personal choice. Mainly because of the local area comm capabilities and everyday uses like marine nets. Having one or the other, according to your preference, is well, okayish. And hopefully you will never need to send a mayday anyway. Having neither and being out of VHF range of basically anybody for extended periods is asking for trouble.
Old 29-01-2020, 08:12   #62

Boat: VDS Seal 36 and Sandpiper 565

I have 1 (one) cassette tape in my possession. It came from my answering machine when I junked it. On it is a message from a dear friend that was just before he committed suicide. I'll keep that me thinks. IF I had answered the phone I might have been able to intervene..... just saying.
If your goal is to spend your last $50 of satellite air time talking to loved ones in person or voicemail...... then have a private point to point call.
If your goal is survival..... push the red button..... choose flooding or whatever..... and get back to work......
Both technologies have merit but ask yourself, do you want an answer or do you just want to talk about it...... YMMV.
Old 29-01-2020, 08:58   #63

Boat: Catalina 470

Hello to all,
Please note that I'm not anti-tech nor anti-satcom....contrarily I've made a good living in high-tech and satcom industry....and was one of the early testers of Iridium (prior to their commercial launch)...and have a 9555 just a few feet from me, right now...

And, please understand I mean no offense to anyone, and I do believe that all opinions are good to hear / discuss...

It just seems odd to me that a simple query asking for some info has devolved into a rather heated discussion?
This is a shame, but maybe I could add somethings that will help?

Hopefully help everyone?

What I'd like to clarify are two points....one might seem pedantic, but please know I'm just pointing out something that many seem to gloss over.....the other might seem like I'm beating a dead horse, so I will be brief, and reference some other threads for the details...

1) Iridium was conceived in the late 1980's, developed by Motorola starting in 1993, launched in Spring of 1997....with Alpha testing later that year (which I participated in), and Beta testing in 1998...and went live commercially 4th quarter of 1998....

And, while the Iridium NEXT satellites launched over the past two years do provide Iridium with much more thru-put and capability for higher data-rate customers, the handheld phones (or IridiumGO) while using these new satellites, they are still the same "system" / completely compatible with the Iridium system...providing very low-speed data and compressed voice comms...

Some comment that Iridium is new and HF-DSC is "so yesterday"?

Well, please have a look and see....

The GMDSS (and hence MF/HF-DSC-SSB Radio, VHF-DSC-FM, EPIRB's, NAVTEX, INMARSAT-C, SART's, etc. and now AIS-SART's soon INMARSAT FB and IRIDIUM Certus,) was conceived in 1989, developed in the mid-1990's, and had its final roll-out / implementation on Feb 1, 1999....

Now, while "single side band" modulation was available commercially starting in the 1950's, the way we use the term "SSB" here-abouts, we are referring to MF/HF-DSC-SSB Radiotelephone....and as you can see, this "system" is actually newer than Iridium!

And, if you look at the "tech" (such as direct-sampling-DSP radios, some refer to them as "SDR's", automated recording of received messages, GPS interface and/or built-in GPS receivers, etc. etc.), the actual hardware (modern MF/HF-DSC-SSB Radiotelephones, like the Icom M-803), have certainly kept up with changes in tech, etc., and are actually newer / more modern than an Iridium 9555 or IridiumGO....

So, when I read that some think of modern MF/HF-DSC-SSB Radio as "so yesterday", I wonder why?

Is this because they think that users need to be trained, instead of just pressing a few buttons? I don't know....but this brings up the other point I wanted to clarify...

2) Using parts of the GMDSS (Global Maritime Distress and Safety System) is quite easy-peasy and actually not that expensive....

And, many sailors (especially those traveling offshore, and/or thru remote locales), use parts of the GMDSS daily!!
(the services are FREE and except for some pricey satcom gear, the equipment is reasonably-priced, and much is already installed on-board most offshore boats....)

---- modern VHF-DSC-FM marine radios are fairly inexpensive, and darn few sailors have boats without this...

---- modern 406mhz EPIRB's, how many sailing offshore don't have one? (or at least a PLB)

---- modern MF/HF-DSC-SSB Radiotelephones....(the M-802 is the single highest-selling marine HF radio in history....and the new M-803 looks like it will be a great addition)

{please realize that the primary reason DSC (whether VHF, MF, or HF) signaling is used, is to eliminate the need for trained/experienced radio operators, and the reason a standard MF/HF-DSC-Distress Call is sent out (automatically) on six different freqs / six different bands, is to eliminate the need to worry about radiowave propagation!!! And, fyi, this is also without any need for you to stand-by waiting for a response, rather the radio has done its job of signaling Distress (such as when activating an EPIRB), but has sent this message to all HF-DSC coast stations within range (> 80 worldwide) and all MF-DSC coast stations within range (> 450 worldwide), and to all SOLAS vessels within range (which could number in the 1000's, depending on where you are and on what freqs they've received your DSC-Distress Call on), but in addition to sending out your Distress message along with your GPS position, the radio is also automatically listening for a response BOTH on all six GMDSS-DSC freqs, AND on the six GMDSS-SSB-Voice freqs....and you do not have to do anything at all, nor do you need to have any radio experience at all!! This was/is one of the beautiful parts of DSC....[and, yes, it does work!]

And, when you combine VHF-DSC-FM, with MF/HF-DSC-SSB, and EPIRB (and INMARSAT-C if so equipped?), you have 3 - 4 different / independent ways of signaling Distress.....the MF/HF-DSC call sends your Distress call directly to the RCC's (via the > 80 HF-DSC Coast Stations and > 450 MF-DSC Coast Stations) and to all SOLAS-grade vessels within range....as does the INMRASAT-C Distress call....of course, the VHF-DSC Distress call goes to all vessels in VHF range, as well as any Sea Area A1 VHF coast stations in range...the EPIRB signal goes thru COSPAS/SARSAT and then routed to the RCC, but is not picked-up by any vessels directly....
If you're curious how all of this works, you're not alone....and Beth Leonard wrote a nice article and great side-bar about all of this a few years ago....please see referenced threads for the links....and the only things that have changed is that in some areas of the world, things have gotten worse in regards to SAR operations, and in actual fact in some areas a EPIRB distress alert will be ignored completely! (although, for us US-flagged sailors, the US Gov't / USCG / US Navy still cares....and even in areas supposed to be served by some 3rd world and 2nd world/developing countries, if a US-flagged EPIRB goes off, the US will be looking carefully at what response is happening....at least that is the "unofficial" position of some USCG officers...) }

None of the above require expensive equipment, nor specialized training to use, whether for Safety / Distress, or for routine comms....and most sailing offshore consider these standard equipment...

---- NAVTEX (while not popular in US, it is very popular and well used in EU/Med/North Sea, as well as along major shipping routes in Asia)

---- HF/SITOR SafetyNET messages (weather and NTM's) (and while WeFax isn't technically part of the GMDSS, as of end of 2012 {last year I have data for}, still over 80% of ocean mariners/masters report using HF-WeFax)

---- AIS-SART's (aka AIS-MOB devices) are just now becoming popular....

---- INMARSAT-C (yep, a bit out-dated, but still used daily....and also we will soon have INMARSAT FB and Iridium Certus, as well)

---- SART's (X-band radar SART's).....except for SOLAS ships, these are rare....

Now I've written about this in the past....and I understand that some don't like when I do....but, if anyone desires more details / more info / more facts (rather than my opinions nor anyone else's), please have a look at these threads.....there are links there to official sources and peer-reviewed published articles, etc....

Have a look:

EPIRB's are NOT dead! / EPIRB Activation? What happens/How to improve rescue odds!!
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ds-146617.html

Using the GMDSS....
Marine HF-DSC-SSB, the GMDSS, "communications stool legs"
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...gs-130640.html

Again, I'm sorry if some of my words are contrary to the common opinion here....but I have no issue with differing opinions, as long as everyone has a chance to read/learn the facts and form their own opinion, I'm cool.

Further, please understand that I'm not trying to sway anyone, nor influence their opinions, rather I'm just trying to provide some facts, and links to details / official sources / etc....and you can all learn and make up your own minds...

And, finally....as I have said/written for many years, HF radio (MF/HF-DSC-SSB-Radiotelephones) and satcom are not competing systems, but rather are complimentary systems!
They do two completely different things!
(So, why the hostility towards either? I don't know, but at least it's not coming from me.... )

Fair winds.

John

P.S. Some may be interested in what I wrote to a friend the other day...

1) Please remember that an HF Radio system (MF/HF-DSC-SSB Radiotelephone, such as Icom M-802 or the new M-803) is a "broadcast" system....in that it is transmitted/received everywhere all at once....(a good thing for "Safety" and/or "Distress" communications, as well as staying in touch with others)...and of course gives you direct access to cruising nets, WeFax, SW Broadcasts, ham radio, etc....

2) A satcom system (whether a handheld Iridium satphone, an IridiumGo data terminal, or even a higher-speed satcom terminal) is a "point-to-point" system....in that it is transmitted/received directly only to one person/entity....(good for person-to-person calls or e-mail, but not for "Safety" / "Distress", etc.)

3) These are not competing systems, but rather are complimentary systems....in that they are designed for, and provide, two completely different things....

The above 3 things are actual facts, not opinion...

It is unfortunate that many sailors forget the above 3 things....and some try to say that one of these systems is better than the other, when in actual fact they are very different and can compliment each other...

4) {In my opinion, and experience, unless permanently-mounted w/ ext antennas, the handheld satcom gear and/or IridiumGo isn't great for anything but casual use (BTW, I have an Iridium 9555 just feet from me right now....as well as my M-802)...yes, you can connect with low-speed data and make calls...but, you cannot connect with any of the 1000's of merchant vessels worldwide, nor the dozens (> 80) of HF-DSC coast stations worldwide (nor to the more than 400 MF-DSC coast stations), nor can you connect with 1000's of other sailors/cruisers, etc., all of which you can easily do with HF-DSC-SSB Radio....as well as have easy/free access to the "gold standard" of offshore/hi-seas weather info (HF-WeFax), worldwide! Of course this part is my opinion, based on my ~ 45 years of experience in communications and ~ 50 years experience in cruising/sailing!}

And, fyi....if you wish to understand a few of the points / opinions I'm stating, particularly what I mean about much of the reasonably-priced satcom gear being best used for casual operations....having a fixed-mount and external antenna for these (yes, even for the IridiumGO), is almost an absolute if you want reliable comms, but also remember that both a wet sail and/or a small boat being tossed around in heavy weather will disrupt satcom (or completely fail), but have no effect on HF radio comms....

Ask anyone that has actually tried these systems offshore in heavy weather (I have done so myself, and assume there are others), and you'll quickly see what I mean....

Using an Iridium from the cockpit of your boat at anchor in a nice cove somewhere is easy-peasy, but when ****-hits-the-fan, it's going to be tough!!

In addition to my sailing and sailing communications experience, since the early 1980's I made my living in satellite communications industry (the last 25 years in commercial satcom)....and my brother (retired senior engineer at Motorola) and I were part of the original Alpha testers of Iridium for Motorola (before they officially went online commercially).

So, I am not anti-satcom at all....I'm actually very Pro-Satcom!!!

(just want everyone to understand what these systems do and what they don't do....and since HF radio is thought of as some kind of "black art" by many sailors, I really want to show how easy-easy it is...)

In addition to my other videos, have a look at a recent video (sorry for the poor production quality, I was in a hurry) of mine, showing how you can simply walk on-board, turn-on the radio, get a weather report, talk to some folks, etc. etc., all within just a few minutes!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLnN6ygtZ3h2mPZAx2vWzdjTJjHlChruyY

Maritime HF Communications

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLnN6ygtZ3h2nPNdApNsZDo_Jk3NB_Bt1y

HF-DSC Comms

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLnN6ygtZ3h2n3z5nlv-ga2zYuPozhUXZX

Icom M-802 Instruction Videos

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLnN6ygtZ3h2npivDjoFrC-8QKVyMb4tVr
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2020, 09:15   #64

John,
You convinced me to sell my beautiful ICOM 756 PRO and get a M-802 for all the benefits of HF-DSC and for helping me understand the tangible benefits of HF-DSC
I THANK YOU, SIR!!
Old 29-01-2020, 10:07   #65

Boat: Riva 48
Single Side Band Info

A couple of points. There is nothing wrong with HF as a radio technology, the problem is that these days, due to the sunspot minimum, HF communication links are not reliable. Different frequencies are used not so much for different conditions but for different distances as they reflect at different heights (although there is overlap). There are some days/time of the day when all the bands are closed and you cannot even get weather. The technology used in DSC is the same coding used for Sitor, which is a derivative of RTTY, so it definitely predates Iridium codecs. A newer coding will be MT63 which will get through in most conditions but it is not used in GMDSS today.

Second, if you look at actual rescues in recent years, most of them have started on the satellite phone and ended on VHF (the last three among my ocean racing friends). This is the reality without personal preferences.

Lastly, we all know that more is better, so if you have SSB on board, by all means learn to use it and have fun. But if you are an occasional user, get Iridium. If you care about power consumption (Iridium uses next to nothing on standby or transmit, SSB uses 1-2A on standby plus an average of 20A in transmit). Plus your batteries need to be fresh charged to get optimal performance.

In summary, for me the best advice I would give is 1) get an Inreach, do not leave home without it; 2) get an EPIRB; 3) get a life raft; 4) if you have money and energy left, install an SSB.

Now, SSB would have been super useful if the standby current was lower (may be one can lower it by switching off the tuner, need to check that), so that you can leave it on all the time; 2) if there was a nice app on the phone that would connect to the radio and send a DSC call request to anyone in the area or to a particular radio (assuming you know the MMSI), and then you can choose to either text (via Sitor or MT63) or call or alternatively if people deployed an ALE (automatic link establishment) system like the military has where the radios talk to one another once an hour to pick the right frequency and you can always pickup the phone and talk/message to the net or to a certain individual.

All of this needs a couple of weeks of programming a custom phone app. But the demand is low (and type approval requirements), so that Inreach has taken over the market.

In the last ARC most people had Iridium and before the race we exchanged numbers, so we had this multiple recipients text chat. It was so much better and easier than having the SSB net. You get on your watch, set the autopilot and start texting and joking with the other boats. Clear text, not waking up anyone below, fast and easy. Then you had this net with very few people on, always noisy and 85% of the time was spent either waiting for your turn or listening to setup problems. The signal to noise ratio is very low on the SSB nets. It is kind of nerdy. I happen to like it but most people do not.

SV Pizzazz
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2020, 15:05   #66

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
One thing satellite still doesn't do. That is put out a general call to any vessels in the area or even a specific vessel that you know is nearby.
I’m reasonably sure that if I sent a mayday text to an organisation like, say, Maritime NZ on my Iridium Go! they would in a heartbeat send out an all-points bulletin to a far wider range of vessels in my area than HF (SSB) could reach. Not only that, the vessels they would reach (mostly ships who don’t bother with SSB, travelling at in excess of 20kn) are faster to my location than the local yachties on HF radio (travelling at 6kn) and far more capable of rendering assistance. This is no different to triggering an EPIRB.

So, no, that’s not correct, “satellite” can put out a general call at a far more productive rate than HF radio. If I was just over the horizon from your sinking boat, your HF call would go unnoticed, my SSB is never turned on anymore and many cruisers are like me.

SSB these days is a hobbyist environment as evidenced by the large contingent of posts on this thread by folks saying that they have a HAM interest, including, I believe, you
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2020, 20:55   #67

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassidyNZ View Post
I’m reasonably sure that if I sent a mayday text to an organisation like, say, Maritime NZ on my Iridium Go! they would in a heartbeat send out an all-points bulletin to a far wider range of vessels in my area than HF (SSB) could reach. Not only that, the vessels they would reach (mostly ships who don’t bother with SSB, travelling at in excess of 20kn) are faster to my location than the local yachties on HF radio (travelling at 6kn) and far more capable of rendering assistance. This is no different to triggering an EPIRB.

So, no, that’s not correct, “satellite” can put out a general call at a far more productive rate than HF radio. If I was just over the horizon from your sinking boat, your HF call would go unnoticed, my SSB is never turned on anymore and many cruisers are like me.

SSB these days is a hobbyist environment as evidenced by the large contingent of posts on this thread by folks saying that they have a HAM interest, including, I believe, you
Not quite correct.

Ships DO use HF. How many ships have YOU stood a bridge watch on? What gives you the idea that ships are not going to hear you on HF? Well, they won't hear your voice desperately shouting Mayday on 2182, no. You need a radio that is DSC capable for that, unfortunately, so that $200 boatanchor you find at a garage sale or a yacht salvage yard won't be as useful as an M802 or equivelant. They have watchkeeping receivers on MF and HF, and they are on. They are always guarding DSC and the autoalarm is always enabled. They almost universally do NOT keep a listening watch on 2182 kHz any more. This has been replaced by 2187.5kHz DSC. No chatter or static heard, but the DSC frequencies are still guarded. 2187.5 is especially useful because your signal is more likely to be picked up nearby or a couple hundred miles away, than to skip over nearby stations and be received halfway around the world.

Ships that sail in all ocean regions as defined by SOLAS are required to have, along with equipment required in Sea Areas A1, A2, and A3, an MF/HF DSC watchkeeping receiver capable of maintaining DSC watch on 2 187.5 kHz, 8 414.5 kHz and on at least one of the distress and safety DSC frequencies 4 207.5 kHz, 6 312 kHz, 12 577 kHz or 16 804.5 kHz.

Whilst at sea every GMDSS ship is required to maintain a continuous watch on:
VHF DSC channel 70
VHF channel 16 where practicable
the 2 MHz DSC frequency of 2 187.5 kHz, if the ship is required to be fitted with MF DSC facilities. All ships that sail in sea area A4 are so required.
Also:
8 MHz and at least one of the 4, 6, 12 or 16 MHz HF DSC distress frequencies (as appropriate for the time of the day and the position of the ship) if the ship is required to be fitted with HF DSC facilities. This watch may be kept by means of a scanning receiver. These watches must be kept from the position from which the ship is normally navigated. That means the bridge, of course. Old Sparks is no longer sitting in a radio room aft of the bridge with his headphones on, pencil, pad, and key close at hand, amidst a great cloud of cigarette smoke and horrible coffee fumes. Morse Code telegraphy on 500kHz was the first lifeline put out to pasture. The Radio Officer was the next thing to go. Then 2182 SSB. MF/HF has changed aboard ship, but not disappeared. To get the most out of it, particularly for emergency use, you have to keep up with the times. It might not be fair but that's the way it is.

Do you really want someone 4000 miles away passing on your message to someone 75 miles away?

When I have HF radio available I use it. I just upgraded my SSB to a brand new M802 and once installed, when I am at sea as long as I have plenty of electricity to feed it, it will be on. If someone in range sets off their autoalarm I will hear it. If they even send a voice distress call on 2182 there is an excellent chance that I will hear it if I am awake. If it is likely that I can get there in time to render aid, then that's what I will do, and I don't have to wait for a bunch of guys who have never even gone to sea to request that I do so over... what... InMarSat C? I suspect that equipment would cost twice what my M802 and ATU cost.

BTW I am not a HAM. I do often recommend new guys use HAM radio as a springboard and learning resource but I do not hold any Amateur license. I let my HAM license expire about 25 years ago, frustrated by the amount of junk mail it generated. And the rude and inconsiderate operators driven by the lust for QSLs and awards. Things are a little different now, and I may get another HAM license, but I am not a HAM fanboy. I simply recognize it as an asset that some find it worth pursuing, some not, and some, some not, preoccupied with it. It cannot be said in truth that I have a HAM "interest".

This thread has grown boring. And guys who seem to hate SSB and crusade against it with a manic passion are strangely irritating to me. The truth is out there for anyone seeking it. I give up. I can't argue with you. I have other things to do so if you like, you can say you won the argument and chances are good I will never even know.
Old 30-01-2020, 17:47   #68

Boat: St. Francis 44 mkII

I could not agree more... the degree of sheer ignorance shown is appalling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
guys who seem to hate SSB and crusade against it with a manic passion are strangely irritating to me. The truth is out there for anyone seeking it. I give up. I can't argue with you. I have other things to do so if you like, you can say you won the argument and chances are good I will never even know.
Mystic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 20:10   #69

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic38 View Post
I could not agree more... the degree of sheer ignorance shown is appalling.
So you reckon that anyone who no longer needs an SSB is ignorant?

How does that reconcile with the professional standards of comms (EPIRB, Iridium, Inmarsat, AIS, etc) have become universally accepted/applied and in fact in some cases legislated when all we need is an SSB? Literally billions of $$$ have been spent on technology when all the time, the real answer was right there on our nav stations.

Come on mate, drag yourself into the 21st century.
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2020, 01:13   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan33 View Post
In the spring I'm sailing from the Northeast to Puerto Rico via Bermuda and the Bahamas. My question is concerning an on-board SSB radio. There are many in the $1,000+ range and then there are 'crystal-less' radios in the $150 range. I'm interested in weatherfax downloads and communicating with boats in the area in which I'm entering.
What's your recommendation?

SSBs are the lifeblood of cruisiing you can contact other boats on passages, weather forecasts, nets in marinas and anchorages and contact another boat if you fix a time and frequency. The arial will need insulators top and bottom of the backstay. The ground makes up half earth so conect the earh to any metal in your boat, metal boats have best signal. Connecting the tuner to the aerial you should use cpopper foil. Do no touch the arial when using the radio it will burn your hand
Michael Cobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2020, 06:57   #71

Boat: Freedom 38

Meh, to each his own. Given today's advanced technology, SSB's are anachronistic. I absolutely love mine (though I wish it would always transmit more clearly!!). The stories I've heard such as how one sailor helped another rewire an alternator at sea and got them get back to business are priceless. YMMV.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2020, 11:45   #72

Boat: Lancer 27PS

Tube SSB radios are anachronistic; modern SSB radios are State Of The Art. Probably modern SSB radios have technological advancements that SatPhones do not have. Even the satellites in orbit are using antiquated technology or sorts.

JMHO
Brian.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 17:25   #73

Boat: St. Francis 44 mkII

the lack of sheer understanding in this thread of what an SSB can do is laughable.. and the obtuse viewpoints that result from that lack of understanding represents yes, ignorance.

those "professional" standards of comms you are referring to ?.. ALL of those ships have SSB

NOT a single person has said that AIS, or EPIRB is not useful, or better a REAL good idea and highly recommended for the distance cruiser... nor even has anyone said that (say) an iridium GO isnt useful... Sadly, the fact that you go there in your post, puts you clearly and squarely into the above camp.

so deflect all you like..nobody cares, use what you wish.. just add some honesty and integrity to your posts... ffs

do you have SSB?
Do you understand what it can do?
Are you aware that in less than 20secs you can setup a DSC broadcast emergency on 5 bands..and it will repeat, and that EVERY commercial ship is obliged to maintain a DSC guard and hence will receive that distress call?.... sure some wont.. but anyone actually capable of rendering assistance in a timely manner WILL...they will know your vessel name, location and nature of emergency well before your sat phone contact picks up their voicemail and tryd to figure out what to do.

i guess you didnt know that... or you would be stating why a sat phone call to some random person 2-6000 miles away from you is a better option.

ignorance is a lack of knowledge.... and this thread is rife with it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassidyNZ View Post
So you reckon that anyone who no longer needs an SSB is ignorant?

How does that reconcile with the professional standards of comms (EPIRB, Iridium, Inmarsat, AIS, etc) have become universally accepted/applied and in fact in some cases legislated when all we need is an SSB? Literally billions of $$$ have been spent on technology when all the time, the real answer was right there on our nav stations.

Come on mate, drag yourself into the 21st century.
Mystic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 19:15   #74

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.D View Post
Tube SSB radios are anachronistic; modern SSB radios are State Of The Art. Probably modern SSB radios have technological advancements that SatPhones do not have. Even the satellites in orbit are using antiquated technology or sorts.

JMHO
That's true. I have an old M710. I can't afford a modern SSB, but I drool all over one whenever I stop in at my local HRO.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 04:02   #75

The M-802 is great.... but look at the new M803.... I'm back to Radio Lust!

Tags
single