Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2008, 07:47   #1

Simrad Wheel Pilot wp30

hello

My new wp30 worked well for 4 months last summer while circummavigating Vancouver Island, Canada. The boat sat idle in the marina for 10 months. I went sailing last week and whenever I engaged the wp30 it consistently pulled to starboard. The only changes are 1) replaced the external voltage regulator and 2) replaced the bellows type fuel transfer pump with a rotary vane. Both these items are more than 3 feet from the wp
I tried recalibrating the compass but no change.
Has anybody experienced similar problems? Suggestions!
whiteshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2008, 08:29   #2
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Never had that problem with my WP32..(Which I assume is almost identical to the WP30..?)

I had a problem in the past and called customer service or tech support or whatever they are called. Those folks were really friendly and helpful, give 'em a call.

Too bad Simrad quit making those autopilots, I would love to have a spare one..
Old 19-06-2008, 13:37   #3

I've had a similar problems with mine and am abandoning the device. I'm on a second replacement mother board and compass capsule with the same results as you are seeing. The first replacement was done by simrad and worked about a year. I did the second and may of damaged the compass as it has wires that are not much bigger than a hair. My main concern is these are not really waterproof. I have found water in the bottom of the control container. The units are short lived and not well designed.
Antares is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2008, 16:12   #4
Kai Nui

Mine works great except (there's that darn "except" again). It seems to have an attraction to large metal objects, such as bridges and ships. Really disconcerting to watch the course change while I am headed under a bridge, toward the bridge supports.
Any chance something metal was set near the compass on yours?
Old 19-06-2008, 18:16   #5
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Quote:
Really disconcerting to watch the course change while I am headed under a bridge, toward the bridge supports.
Holly Crap, ya use the autopilot going under bridges?

Hat of to you Sir, more balls than me:

I never have the autopilot on and engaged within 1000 feet of anything. Them things are made for open water heading-hold, not for staying away from danger and obstructions.
Old 19-06-2008, 18:18   #6
Kai Nui

We have really big bridges out here Sailing through the San Francisco Bay, the wheel pilot makes it easy to get other things done. Granted, I keep a tight watch on it, but it still takes my hands off the helm for other things.
Old 21-09-2011, 08:59   #7
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Simrad wheel pilot wp 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Nui View Post
We have really big bridges out here Sailing through the San Francisco Bay, the wheel pilot makes it easy to get other things done. Granted, I keep a tight watch on it, but it still takes my hands off the helm for other things.
I'm only looking at the possibility of buying a used WP 30, but I wouldn't ever count on any kind of auto-steering under the bridge. Too many currents. Under a bridge -- even a big one -- isn't like open water.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 12:19   #8

Boat: Grampian G26 26'
Re: Simrad Wheel Pilot wp30

My Beneteau First 310 came equipped with a WP30 and it worked great for 3 seasons. This year, however, upon launch it wasn't working. Repeatedly kicks back into standby mode when you try to engage it. Any suggestions? Call the Simrad people and their tech support is good, but his only suggestion was to recalibrate the compass. I've tried it once with no luck, may try again. Any one else experience this problem?
grandview846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 12:59   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Simrad Wheel Pilot wp30

Just to make folks aware of an alternative, look at the Pelagic Tiller Pilot.

https://pelagicautopilot.com/
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
simrad