Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 02:14   #1

Boat: Stevens 47
Simrad NSS7 and Simrad 3G radar

Finally mounted the radar today, purchased the package in Annapolis fall of 2011.

Everything is hooked up, but when I bring up the radar screen on the chartplotter, it shows "no radar".

I'm not sure what to do...checked power, checked ground, is there some initial screen on the chartplotter I have to get to? I can't find an install screen on the chartplotter

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm kind of frustrated at this point...hell, why else would I be up at 4:30 in the a.m. searching for answers?

Any help would be much appreciated, headed back to the boat today to try again...

Thanks

gunk
gunkylump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:19   #2

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Re: Simrad NSS7 and Simrad 3G radar

I believe you need a heading sensor installed for the radar overlay. Have you talked to Simrad Tech Support by any chance? Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:35   #3

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

In general, there is a setup procedure for chartplotters where you point it to the various sensors and transducers. I don't know any specifics about the Simrad, but did you go through the setup procedure? The manual should be specific about this. We have Simrad AP and MFD's and all of those manuals spend a lot of time detailing the setup and initialization procedures.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:40   #4

Thanks for the replies so far....I have e-mailed Simrad tech support, they don't work weekends

I can't get the initial radar installation page on the chartplotter....so either the radar is nfg, there's no power to it...or the chartplotter software can't recognize it's there.......the manuals all started at the radar installation page on the chartplotter...which I don't seem to have at the moment.

So...I'm back here at home, enjoying a nice beefstake tomato sandwich.....eagerly anticipating a Mexican type dinner tonight for Cinco de Mayo....if that's the way it's spelled.

I tried to get the radar system up and running again today, but no go......so I did a couple of hours painting some interior cupboards....and enjoyed the sunshine.

Thanks again for the replies...I'm hoping it's a software issue I can resolve locally......but who knows?<grin>

The joys of boating poor man's style and doing your own installs! Great way to learn!

gunk
Old 26-04-2015, 11:44   #5

heej there , i seem to have the same problem , did u solve it some how ?? plzz plzz plzz let me know ...
windharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 11:50   #6

Hi Windharp:

Oh boy...that was a loooong time ago. Afraid I'm not going to be much help here but..

It was operator error. Assuming you have the instructions manuals from Simrad, make sure that you follow them step by step. Do not skip any steps and follow the instructions. I forget exactly what it was that I was missing, but it works fine now and the 3G radar is very nice to have.

Wish I could remember what it was that I wasn't following exactly....but I don't

Sorry...

gunk
Old 26-04-2015, 12:15   #7

Boat: Bristol 41.1

It's been a while since I installed a NSS8 and 3G, but I will try to help.

There is more than one power connection method for the radar, depending on your choice of operation. At the interface unit R1 10 there are several wires for powering the radar unit - a red and yellow in addition to the black wire. Whichever you have chosen (red or yellow) determines how the radar powers up. Check there first. I made notes for myself regarding how the radar powers up and I will try to find them.

When starting the radar there is a slight sound when the unit starts to rotate. Can you hear any sound/movement?

Have you gone to the menu page that allows selecting the radar? Are there no choices?
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radar, simrad