Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2014, 07:30   #1

Boat: Lagoon 380 #069
Simrad/B&G ACP1 with new instruments

Our boat has changed ownership a few times since its construction and has accumulated some gear.

B&G Network Pilot
B&G ACP1 (autopilot box) + hydraulics
B&G Network Quad
Raymarine ST60+ Wind

And we have a basic Standard Horizons chartplotter not on any network.

AFAIK, the B&G gear is using NMEA0183 v1.5, the ST60+ does APP wind speed only, and I'm basically sneakernetting the information from the chartplotter to the autopilot at this point (run into salon to check charts, run to helm to update pilot COG heading).

While I love the B&G gear (and the ST60 I'd chuck into the sea at this point) I really want to update my kit to something current. I'm ready to spend coin on new instruments except the autopilot. Is it possible to keep that era's autopilot while using new instruments?
yardie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:15   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Simrad/B&G ACP1 with new instruments

Yes, you should be able to do that. Most (all?) new chartplotters have NMEA0183 interfaces along with N2K. If you plan to continue operating the AP independently, this won't be a problem at all, except you will need speed connected to it someway. Another alternative is to use a 0183-2000 converter like those made by Actisense to connect the AP to the N2K network so that it can get all the data directly from it instead of the chartplotter.

We had your current autopilot and changed to a new one a couple years ago. The new ones are SO much better and use 1/3 of the power of the old B&G. The difference was much more pronounced than that from updating our chartplotter.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:13   #3

Boat: Lagoon 380 #069

Hi Mark, can you tell me what you replaced your B&G auto with? What improvements did you notice immediately?

Is it possible to only switch out the ACP, display, and fluxgate? Or does everything have to go? My ACP and control rod are on opposite sides of the bulkhead so if it's just that it would be 2-3 hour job. but if I have to mount a new hydraulic system then parts and labour grow stratospherically.
yardie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 11:03   #4

Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch

I am in the same spot as yardie--I need to update nearly all my nav equipment. My very aged Auto Pilot is Simrad AP11. I will have to replace the computer, compass, control head and the wiring. The Simrad drive unit and rudder feedback can stay. The new iPads are supposed to be coming out within the next month or so. I don't know if I should wait for
> the new ones to come out.
>
> I 'm thinking at least a 64GB model, or if it's available in > 128GB.

I hope I am not hijacking this post, but it seems we have similar questions. I am interested in any recommendations.

Thank you,
Ty
“If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your ****, then you deserve it.” ― Frank Zappa
ty.gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 11:13   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardie View Post
Hi Mark, can you tell me what you replaced your B&G auto with? What improvements did you notice immediately?

Is it possible to only switch out the ACP, display, and fluxgate? Or does everything have to go? My ACP and control rod are on opposite sides of the bulkhead so if it's just that it would be 2-3 hour job. but if I have to mount a new hydraulic system then parts and labour grow stratospherically.
We replaced it with a Simrad AP - the current B&G AP is the identical unit with a different sticker on it. You can use your existing hydraulic as the drive unit, but it uses a lot of power compared to the new ones. Other than that, there is no difference in drive units. You will need to install a new rudder sensor, though.

The improvements in steering are most likely due to the more modern rate compass. With the new system, the boat tracks much better in rough conditions, anticipates steering almost perfectly, moves the rudder much less often - all around better steering (and better than I can do!).

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:15   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty.gregory View Post
I am in the same spot as yardie--I need to update nearly all my nav equipment. My very aged Auto Pilot is Simrad AP11. I will have to replace the computer, compass, control head and the wiring. The Simrad drive unit and rudder feedback can stay. The new iPads are supposed to be coming out within the next month or so. I don't know if I should wait for
> the new ones to come out.
>
> I 'm thinking at least a 64GB model, or if it's available in > 128GB.

I hope I am not hijacking this post, but it seems we have similar questions. I am interested in any recommendations.

Thank you,
Ty
I don't understand this - an iPad will never be able to be used as an autopilot. Did you mean chart plotter and not autopilot wrt the iPad?

Mark

Old 10-09-2014, 11:41   #7

Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch

Sorry, Yes, ipad for the chart plotter. Didn't mean to jumble all that together, it's just that I need The Works in Nav Equipment.
“If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your ****, then you deserve it.” ― Frank Zappa
ty.gregory is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, rum, simrad