Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2014, 07:41   #1

Boat: Bowman 40
Send a message via Skype™ to steve.garlick
Simrad AP24 install

Hi all,

Looking for some debugging advice on a Simrad AP24 install. I've installed the AC42 main computer, AP24 control head, RF25 rudder feedback unit and the RC42 compass. I'm trying to hook this up to a Raymarine Type 2 linear electric drive from an older Autohelm 6000 AP.

When I get to the commissioning stage, the AP passes the rudder feedback stage, but then fails the rudder test. The symptoms are: the wheel starts to turn to port, under control of the drive. It gets to maximum extension, then there are slipping sounds in the drive, as if its trying to turn further. After being stalled for a few seconds, it reports 'Failed' and we can proceed no further.

Any ideas on what to check? I'm imagining the Raymarine drive might have issues. If I have to replace the drive, what do people recommend? The Simrad hydraulic linear drive? The boat is a 12m Bowman 40, weighing about 14 tonnes.

If that all fails, can anyone suggest a Simrad technician in Marmaris area, Turkey?

Many thanks,

Steve Garlick
S/V Pavlov
steve.garlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2014, 07:47   #2
mrm

Boat: crew on Bavaria 38 Cruiser
Re: Simrad AP24 install

I may be wrong, but isn't a manual full rudder swing, end to end, a part of the setup procedure, so the control unit may learn the rudder position end stops?

From your description it looks, like it might have been omitted?
mrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2014, 08:00   #3

Sorry, fault of my description. I did the full rudder swing in the rudder feedback calibration, and entered the angles of the swing. I thought this might be a problem, so I varied the angle manually to less, then much less than the swing available. No luck.

Thanks,

Steve
Old 14-04-2014, 08:10   #4

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

We have the exact same setup as you are trying to get working. We have never had an issue with it and the setup/calibration went without hitch.

Are you sure the rudder feedback is working correctly? Do you see the rudder position bars steadily increase proportional to turning the wheel?

In power steering mode, can you make the rudder move stop to stop?

What angle are your rudder stops set at? The RM drive requires 35*, which is a smaller angle than many boats have setup. Perhaps you are reaching the limit of the drive before the stops come into play. Although that should have been set during the rudder swing calibration - particularly since you set them less.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2014, 08:29   #5

Thank you Mark

I set the stops for 34* and it worked perfectly. I didn't know that about the Raymarine drive.

Now, the system is not seeing the compass. Do I have to do the sea trials part first before the compass is recognised?

Thanks again, you don't know how much hair you saved me!

Steve
Old 14-04-2014, 08:34   #6

No, the compass is simply data on the buss. The sea trial only finely calibrates the compass for local magnetics. If you are not seeing it, try turning the system on and off (I image you have already done that). Does any of your other instrumentation see the compass?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 14-04-2014, 08:35   #7
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

I would also suggest that the physical rudder stops should be adjusted to prevent the linear arm ever reaching its internal end of drive limits.

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 14-04-2014, 08:36   #8

Yes, definitely. I read your post as having physically moved the rudder stops to 34*. If not, then do so.

Mark

Old 14-04-2014, 08:36   #9

No other networked instruments!

I guess I'll go over the connections again. I had some problems with the Simnet to Micro-C connectors so I'll double check. Back into the bowels I go (can't recount the number of times and bruises!)

Steve
Old 14-04-2014, 08:42   #10

The rudder stops on the bowman are physical bulkhead of fibreglass. They are not 'adjustable'. Should I measure the angle that these blocks make, and if greater than 70*, physically limit the angle?

Steve
Old 14-04-2014, 11:53   #11

I would. If the autopilot ever needs to be at the end of its travel, and a wave pushes the rudder, you will break the drive. I don't know your stop setup, but it seems like glueing or bolting spacer blocks to the bulkheads could make up the difference if needed.

Mark

Old 14-04-2014, 13:27   #12
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

steve-
Do you have access to a voip phone or other cheap international service? Or a way to access that from the boat?

I ask because Raymawhosis phone support is often outstanding, and they're familiar with all sorts of quirks you won't find in the manuals. I'd try them first, to see if they've heard of this before. It could be something like "Oh yeah, the extension limit sensor is shot" that they'd be able to recognize right away.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2014, 01:17   #13

Gotta love this forum.

Thanks all for your help. Problem solved, the magic number 35 and a faulty Simnet to Simnet joiner was the issue. Kept my hair (its too short to tear out).

We can now retire from hand steering those long night watches. Oh heaven....

Regards,

STeve S/V Pavlov
Crossing from Turkey into Greece at Lesvos.

Tags
simrad