Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2016, 05:43   #1

Boat: DownEaster 38
Unhappy Simrad and B&G Compatibility?

I understand that Simrad and B&G products are "identical. Is that true? I am looking at the VHF radios (RS35 and V50) with companion wireless handset. My question is: Will one brand's handset work flawlessly with the other brand's base unit? Shopping around I can save a few bucks by just such a mix. B&G hand set with Simrad base. Should work, I guess, but always skeptical. Comments? Thanks.
bobmcd625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 05:54   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Simrad and B&G Compatibility?

They share a common User Guide Addendum.
http://www.bandg.com/PageFiles/9099/...epslanguage=de

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 10:27   #3

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

While the radios may be identical hardware, I don't know if the Simrad version of the radio is identical in software [firmware] to the B&G version, and for that reason I would be cautious mixing Navico sub-brands... [I haven't researched this...]

For example, we went with B&G MFD [Zeus T8] because the firmware includes the Sail Steer capability that is only available in B&G hardware [firmware...] last I knew.

We also have the B&G V50 VHF Radio and wireless mike, and they all work flawlessly together on the N2K network.

The possibility for using slightly different firmware on the different Navico sub-brands exists. I don't know if this the case for the radio in question.

I can say it is nice to be able to upgrade the firmware on the radio, MFD, RADAR, etc. ourselves. But this is not always the case; the version of the wireless mike that we have [H50] requires returning it to an authorized dealer for upgrades to stay in sync with the radio firmware updates. For us that means mailing it and waiting... [We have only had to do that once in 2 years...]

I can also say [with B&G anyway] that we feel a bit abandoned when they release a new model. By that I mean they seem to stop releasing firmware updates for the prior generation(s?) after a new model is available.

In our case, we held out as long as we could in mid 2014 waiting for the Zeus2 [Z2] release, and ended up with the prior generation. [Zeus Touch- ZT- which we have no qualms with...] We haven't seen a new firmware release for the ZT since the Z2 was released [v2.0 for ZT was released 29-Aug-2014.] During that time B&G has released several updates for the Z2, the most recent being v4 on 16-Aug-2016.

This could be perhaps because the Z2 needed the updates and the ZT did not... but I am doubtful. The Zeus 3 release will happen in 2017. I will be watching to see if this trend continues...

By way of comparison, our 5+ year old Vesper Watchmate 850 AIS transponder still receives routine firmware updates [with new features] from the manufacturer- despite having released two more advanced models since then.

I fully understand new hardware begets new capabilities, and that prior generations will not be compatible with all new features in the future. My concern is, while the hardware may be robust and provide years of service, will they release minor firmware updates to take advantage of new functionality [or bug fixes...] the older hardware does support, or will they force us to upgrade our electronics prematurely at some point by obsoleting our firmware through non-support?

I mention all this to reinforce that these user-upgradable electronics are only upgradable as long as the 'manufacturer' releases updates for our models... I expect electronics to become less functional, and even obsolete eventually- but not necessarily with each new model release...

Best wishes deciding what is best for your needs.

Cheers! Bill
Old 21-12-2016, 11:44   #4

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Call Navico in New Zealand. I find them very helpful with my Simrad gear.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 11:48   #5

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmcd625 View Post
I understand that Simrad and B&G products are "identical. Is that true? I am looking at the VHF radios (RS35 and V50) with companion wireless handset. My question is: Will one brand's handset work flawlessly with the other brand's base unit? Shopping around I can save a few bucks by just such a mix. B&G hand set with Simrad base. Should work, I guess, but always skeptical. Comments? Thanks.
These two radios are basically identical and a B&G one will work fine with a simrad system - they both use NMEA2000

Check with navico if you are worried
Old 21-12-2016, 14:01   #6

Boat: Oyster 66

I just checked that out with a dealer, who said they are the same, just a different badge, so I bought a Simrad VHF and cordless B&G handset. I have not got it yet. I will install it in a week or so. I hope it does work...
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2016, 05:55   #7

Boat: DownEaster 38
Unhappy Re: Simrad and B&G Compatibility?

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post
I just checked that out with a dealer, who said they are the same, just a different badge, so I bought a Simrad VHF and cordless B&G handset. I have not got it yet. I will install it in a week or so. I hope it does work...
Good luck with that. Let us know how they work together. I took the bold step of calling the Navico Help Line and they said that they do not recommend mixing the brands, so I'll keep looking for the cheapest deal for the base station and hand set and will probably get them both from the same dealer to get a bit more security in the compatibility matter.
bobmcd625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2017, 19:25   #8

Boat: Oyster 66

They work perfectly together. Thoroughly tested now. A happy customer.

One thing is stupid though. You can't make a DSC call by clicking on the AIS displayed name. I know Standard Horizon have this. So should Simrad too.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2023, 22:33   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by alctel View Post
These two radios are basically identical and a B&G one will work fine with a simrad system - they both use NMEA2000

Check with navico if you are worried
Hello, are you sure? I have b&g vhf V50 and I have beeb desperately hunting the b&g wireless handset H50 but that is absolutely out of market. However, simrad wireless handset HS35 should be similar. I called Simrad/b&g reseller that called then Navico. They said that V50 and HS35 doesn’t work together. If this doesn’t work out I’m thinking to buy a handheld VHF and program it to use same MMI with my radiostation. That should work?
Pinokio is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
simrad