Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2023, 20:29   #1

Location: Back in Mexico cruising the northern part of Sea of Cortez
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40
Simrad AC20 in a B&G system

Hello,

My B&G ACP 2 is throwing an internal compass error. The error code instructs the user to return the product for repair. We all know that won't happen to a unit this old (@ 20 years). The fluxgate compass and the control head in the system seem to be fine.

My question is, can I replace just the computing board - the ACP 2 unit - with a similar Simrad product like an AC20? There are several of these on the market and I can find no used or NIB B&G units.

Thanks,
Ron
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2023, 02:30   #2

Boat: Contest 35S
Re: Simrad AC20 in a B&G system

Replacing with something from an other producer will give you most probably problems. why not buying an other ACP2? Or even better, start with exchanging just the compass as this seems to be the problem and should be cheaper.
zamino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2023, 14:27   #3

Simrad and B&G products differ only in the label, in almost all cases. They are all made by Navico. My system is mixed, with some parts branded as Simrad and others B&G and they all play happily together.

If you have any doubt, contact B&G tech service with the specifics. I have always gotten good advice from them.

There used to be a few products where features were different based on the nameplate, with Simrad being more the fishing/motorboat brand and B&G targeting the sailing market, but I believe that has gone by the wayside for everything except the MFDs.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2023, 16:28   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingHarmonie View Post
Simrad and B&G products differ only in the label, in almost all cases.
Simrad acquired B&G around 2003, after the manufacture date of the OP's ACP2. While today the Navico branded products (Simrad, B&G & Lowrance) are essentially interchangeable, I think it is extremely unlikely that you can swap out the B&G ACP2 for a Simrad AC20.

The AC20 is controlled by an AP26 or AP27 controller, uses a RF300 rudder reference and obtains heading from a rate compass.

IMHO, I doubt that the existing B&G Network Pilot display, Rudder Reference unit or ACP Fluxgate Compass will work with a Simrad AC20, nor would you be able to commission an AC20 from the B&G Network Pilot display.
stevead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2023, 17:08   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevead View Post
Simrad acquired B&G around 2003, after the manufacture date of the OP's ACP2. While today the Navico branded products (Simrad, B&G & Lowrance) are essentially interchangeable, I think it is extremely unlikely that you can swap out the B&G ACP2 for a Simrad AC20.

The AC20 is controlled by an AP26 or AP27 controller, uses a RF300 rudder reference and obtains heading from a rate compass.

IMHO, I doubt that the existing B&G Network Pilot display, Rudder Reference unit or ACP Fluxgate Compass will work with a Simrad AC20, nor would you be able to commission an AC20 from the B&G Network Pilot display.
I missed the ages of the products…. Go with what stevead says!!!
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2023, 07:48   #6

Location: Back in Mexico cruising the northern part of Sea of Cortez
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

Thanks all for the feedback.

I will run this by the B&G tech folks, but it sounds like I need to source out a new B&G ACP 2 unit and not use something else to replace it.
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2023, 11:15   #7

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Hey Ron,

I don't know if this relates to the issue you are having, but I found a thread discussing replacing a battery on the ACP2 circuit board- in case that is worth trying...

I'll look further and reply back if I find anything...

Cheers, Bill

Tags
simrad