Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2011, 13:30   #16

Re: Simplest Stereo Configuration for iPod

Jack,

I agree with other posters that the ipod dock is unnecessary - your head unit should have an accessory wire (an added expense, naturally) to attach your ipod directly to your radio - it will charge as well.

Agree with Target as well that Pioneers sound good for the price. If you go to best buy, your can listen to different speakers through the same head unit. That should narrow things down in a hurry for you. The speakers I replaced are Pioneers and they sound good. They aren't waterproof and they're at least 8 years old, and they still sound as good as the day I bought them.

I wanted to upgrade my system to get closer to the kind of sound I get at home - but music is a big part of my life and getting good sound is important to me, so I didn't mind spending the extra money. I ended up getting an Apine PDx f4 amplifier with Mirage OMD -5 speakers. When I got the Mirage speakers I hooked them up to my home stereo and liked them so much that I kept them to use with my original home Ohm speakers and ordered a second set for the boat. They're small, sound great and have a threaded hole in back to accept a mount.

When I wrote for advice on speakers here, I got plenty of great responses. Nick from s/v Jedi was especially helpful, so maybe he'll chime in here for you as well. Best of luck with whatever you buy!
slowshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2011, 13:36   #17

Boat: 37ft pilothouse in the PNW

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
You can buy car stereos with remotes. This way it does not need to be outside nor labeled "marine" which raises the price. Don't ask my why a car stereo would need a remote when it is two feet from the driver.

I'm thinking you could keep the remote in your pocket or Velcro it to something while underway.

Onlinecarstereo.com - Wholesale Car Audio/Stereo Deals At Bargain Prices | No Products were found | <p>Car remote controls are smaller versions of Television or Home Audio remotes and use infrared (IR) signals to give the receiver commands. These con
i asked this question long time ago why need a remote for car stereo salesman sold me on the say your in the back seat with your hunny and a song comes on that is interupting your groove. stop get up and change it or reach out with the remote .....sold
Old 25-05-2011, 13:51   #18

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36

A simple solution is a PolyPlanar MP3-Kit4 which is a waterproof 2 channel amp and a simple 3.5 plug for your I-pod and 2 speakers.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2011, 14:02   #19

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

I just did this last weekend. Total dollars spent for this project, 0.
I installed a leftover 200 watt 2 channel amp that I had from a car that I sold to pay off the boat. I stole the RCA to mini headphone wire that I had plugged into the back of my truck stereo to plug my mp3 player into and I scrounged some leftover speaker wire and speakers from back when I owned a house before chase bank stole it from me.
So I wired up the amp straight to the 12v and I added a switch from the 12v power to the 12v sensing input on the amp so I can turn it all the way off. I ran speaker wire to the speakers mounted in the pilot house, and I plugged in the mini headphone to RCA cable. I control the volume at the mp3 player. Dead simple and it sounds great. I don't feel like I need any cockpit speakers, the speakers in the pilothouse sound good outside.
BTW, it's a top quality amp so it doesn't mind anything from 8 ohms to 1 ohm.
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote