Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2013, 02:40   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Simnet/NMEA2000 Problems "Bus Off"

I've got my new N2K network running with some of the devices connected.

In general everything is ok, except that my B&G Zeus Z8 plotter (Simrad NSE clone) is going "Bus Off" and will not connect to the network. Will not find other devices, and is not seen by other devices. Dead to the network.

On the diagnostics screen, it shows 255 TX errors, and I found in a manual somewhere that there is an error counter which will switch off the network bus when the errors reach 255.

There are no other errors shown. The screen says:

Bus State: Bus Off
Rx Overflows: 0
Rx Overruns: 0
Rx Errors: 0
Tx Errors: 255
Fast packet Errors: 0
Rx Messages: 0
Tx Messages: 0
Bus Load: 0.0%

If you watch the screen for a while, from time to time "Tx Errors" goes to 0 for a couple of seconds, then immediately back to 255.

I'm sure this is something simple -- any of you guys ever struggle with this?

I have been through all the usual procedures -- Auto Select Data Sources, Refresh everything, etc., etc.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:45   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Re: Simnet/NMEA2000 Problems "Bus Off"

Now that's weird. A few days ago, I bought another Simnet to N2K adapter cable, just on the odd chance that I might have a bad cable. No difference.

Now just for shorts and giggles, I connected the Zeus with a normal Simnet cable to the "Simnet joiner" -- the box with seven Simnet sockets in it. Connected the adapter cable between the box and the N2K network. Presto! The Zeus went online.

WTF? I don't understand why that would be. So do I need to leave the "Simnet joiner" in the chain to the N2K network? Why? That's absolutely not the way it's described in the Simnet network handbook (http://www.hellasmarine.com/Simrad%2...nstall-Man.pdf), where it specifically says that you drop a Simnet device right into an N2K network with an adapter cable.

Now once I get my head around this one, next question will be why my AIS transceiver and N2K-to-USB bridge don't show up in the device list :scratchinghead:
Old 05-04-2013, 11:20   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Whole network is now working as it should, but with the stupid Simnet joiner interposed between the Zeus and the N2K backbone. Weird. I have written B&G tech support, and not a peep from them in 24 hours.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:38   #4

I have been having "Bus Off" issues myself with Simrad NSE 8. I have not been able to locate any info on how to turn it on...this is applying to my newly installed GPS GS 25, even after the Simrad Update file was installed...any ideas??
Gumshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 15:40   #5
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Simnet/NMEA2000 Problems "Bus Off"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumshoe View Post
I have been having "Bus Off" issues myself with Simrad NSE 8. I have not been able to locate any info on how to turn it on...this is applying to my newly installed GPS GS 25, even after the Simrad Update file was installed...any ideas??

If this is a can bus error. Then bus off os the result of excessive collisions. Jabber or general poor connectivity. Check all your wiring and then restart the system.

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-03-2015, 16:03   #6

Boat: Corbin 39

Check to make sure you have a termination resistor at each end of your backbone.
toddedger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 11:11   #7

Thanks for the recommendations...the indicator did not state CAN BUS OFF just BUS OFF...my boat is sitting on the hard, so collision issues should not be a problem...I do have a terminator plug on the backbone, and to be honest, all of the other electronics on the Simnet Buss seem to be operating properly....fairly certain this is a programming issue and I will keep at it until it's resolved..thanks again
Old 11-03-2015, 16:23   #8

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 37

Do you have any other equipment on the network? We have a Simrad RS35 VHF that was causing excessive collisions and device errors whenever it was powered on until we had its software updated.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Davidasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 10:42   #9

I too am having a similar problem...the only difference is I am using all simrad equip for the simnet bus....I am getting the exact same info on the error screen and have yet to find any info about the "bus off" issue...this appears to be the reason my new GPS GS 25 is not being detected...I already upgraded the software to the 4. version and still no recognition of the GPS...any thoughts?? T. Seal
Old 23-04-2015, 12:29   #10

Boat: Rafiki 37

I found my NSS8 shows 'bus off' even with the NMEA2000 powered unless I have another NMEA2000 device on the network powered on. My NSS works fine with the GS25.
Old 04-05-2015, 14:15   #11

Thanks for the info, but I am still having issues...the new GS 25 does not show up on the list even after the current update...someone mentioned earlier about too many hits or collisions...I may have some electrical noise generated from a voltage reducer I am using...I will run the Simnet buss from a isolated battery and see if that will clear up the issue...thanks again
Old 04-05-2015, 14:42   #12

Boat: Meta Arctic Voyager 47
Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor

I am also having N2K issues with a similar B&G setup. I had thought it was the V50 VHF but now am not sure. My symptoms are that the radar goes offline fortunately everything else is fine. All major functionality is on N2K bus except Raymarine TackTick instruments coming through NMEA 0183 directly to the Zeus 2 8 plotter. But the same issues come up whether instruments are online or not. Are some kind of terminators required at N2K T's if there is no device attached? I installed some extras here and there for future devices.
northwestsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 15:21   #13

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumshoe View Post
Thanks for the info, but I am still having issues...the new GS 25 does not show up on the list even after the current update...someone mentioned earlier about too many hits or collisions...I may have some electrical noise generated from a voltage reducer I am using...I will run the Simnet buss from a isolated battery and see if that will clear up the issue...thanks again

There is a diagnostic screen somewhere in the menus of the MFD that will show you how many collisions there are. In our case the number was nearly stable when the VHF was off, but rose quickly when it was on showing AIS targets. Once we had it replaced with a unit at the latest software version the collision number was consistently low.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Davidasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 17:43   #14

There should be ZERO errors on the N2K bus. Not some. Not a small number. Just zero. If there are any, something is wrong.

There are a surprising number of devices that do generator errors, particularly Navico devices.
Old 05-05-2015, 02:49   #15

I have been getting a fixed number of transmit errors on the same page as the "Bus off" message...I believe it is the same as Dockhead describes...if a jack on the simnet buss does not have anything plugged into it, does it need a termination plug??