Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2011, 10:13   #1

Boat: Currently boatless
ShipTrak Techie Question

We are position reporting using Winlink. Winlink holds the data for 6 months and Shiptrak holds and displays both Winlink and Yotreps data for 1 year. What I would like to do is to download our reporting history from Shiptrak before the 1 year expiration so I can keep my own record of our position reporting with the ultimate goal being to create my own maps from the stored data for each year of our cruising.

I've attempted to email the Shiptrak creator twice over the last 6 months or so but no response.

I can see our entire history by clicking on "show log entries" but because it is some kind of javascript-y thing I can't highlight or copy the items.

Anyone have the tech know how? I'm lost.

Our data:
ShipTrak v3.0
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:37   #2

Boat: Allied Luders 33, Hull 98, 1971
I just sent the administrator an email, and will let you know what he says.

All I have is my iPhone right now, so I'm not much help, but it wouldn't be too hard to write a program in say python or perl, to parse the data if it came to that.
nv5l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:12   #3

Re: ShipTrak Techie Question

nv5l - Thank you. Any help is appreciated! I'm a competent (ish) tech user but not programmer.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:38   #4

Btw, I don't think the data ever gets deleted from shiptrak. The filter allows you to limit it to one year, but if you pick all, the default, I think you get everything.

As a test, take a look at KC2IOV, Jeanne Socretes, and see how far back her track goes -- I'd test it myself, but my iPhone doesn't play well with shiptrak.
Old 01-11-2011, 13:40   #5

You are right! She had positions from 2004.
Old 01-11-2011, 14:18   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
We are position reporting using Winlink. Winlink holds the data for 6 months and Shiptrak holds and displays both Winlink and Yotreps data for 1 year. What I would like to do is to download our reporting history from Shiptrak before the 1 year expiration so I can keep my own record of our position reporting with the ultimate goal being to create my own maps from the stored data for each year of our cruising.

I've attempted to email the Shiptrak creator twice over the last 6 months or so but no response.

I can see our entire history by clicking on "show log entries" but because it is some kind of javascript-y thing I can't highlight or copy the items.

Anyone have the tech know how? I'm lost.

Our data:
ShipTrak v3.0

To get at the data in Firefox, go to Edit->Preferences->Content Tab->Enable Javascript->Advanced and uncheck "Disable or replace context menus".

To pull the data out, expand the logs, select all, view selection source, and copy the one long line that holds lat/long. Paste it into notepad and Replace the HTML tags with commas, then load in Excel.

Attached are your 80 points, but I was too lazy to fix the "," in your comments (e.g. "Bahia Del Sur, Isla Cedros" in your comment has placed "Bahia Del Sur" in one column and "Isla Cedros" in another column), so you'll have to pull those back together by cutting and pasting...

Hope this helps
Attached Files
File Type: xls c_and_s.xls (18.0 KB, 71 views)
stilldreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 17:39   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilldreamin

To get at the data in Firefox, go to Edit->Preferences->Content Tab->Enable Javascript->Advanced and uncheck "Disable or replace context menus".

To pull the data out, expand the logs, select all, view selection source, and copy the one long line that holds lat/long. Paste it into notepad and Replace the HTML tags with commas, then load in Excel.

Attached are your 80 points, but I was too lazy to fix the "," in your comments (e.g. "Bahia Del Sur, Isla Cedros" in your comment has placed "Bahia Del Sur" in one column and "Isla Cedros" in another column), so you'll have to pull those back together by cutting and pasting...

Hope this helps
Neat trick.

Btw, just got an email from Tom. The site doesn't have anything explicit, but the method stilldreaming described is more or less how people deal with it.
Old 23-12-2011, 04:00   #8

Stilldreamin - *hugely* helpful. Thank you.

Sorry for the delay in responding. We've been in the islands North of La Paz for the last 3 weeks without internet. Back in La Paz now.