Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2021, 19:38   #1

Boat: Catalina 34
Share active waypoint between Chartplotter and Raspberry Pi

Hello--I'm posting because I could not find an answer through searches. I do see a lot of discussion on the topic .

I want to set an active waypoint on either my Garmin Echomap 73sv plus or Raspberry Pi (OpenPlotter buld, OpenCPN or qtVlm) and have the active waypoint appear on the other device to show distance, bearing, time to go, etc.

My setup: Nmea 2000 (SeatalkNG) network with Garmin Echmap 73sv plus chartplotter, i70s display, ev100 wheel pilot with i70p display, Raspberry connected via YachtD YDWG-02 Nmea 2000 wireless gateway, Em-trak 953 AIS transponder/gps.

I'm getting depth, wind, speed and ais data on all devices as expected. I can set a waypoint on the Garmin and the autopilot will steer to it. I can set a waypoint on the Raspberry Pi (OpenCPN or qtVlm) and the i70s shows distance and bearing data.

What am I missing? Nmea 2000 setup was essentially plug and play.

I also have a Digital Yacht USB/Nmea 0183 adapter I can use to interface chartplotter and Pi if the issue is a Nmea 0183/2000 translation issue.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Donnybrook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2021, 00:17   #2

Share active waypoint between Chartplotter and Raspberry Pi

If we enter a destination waypoint on our Garmin 750 it appears in OpenCpn below as a funny green square. They are networked via both NMEA 0183 and NMEA2000, the latter via a Vesper XB6000 which does the conversion.
AedanC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chartplotter