Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2014, 01:10   #1

Boat: hanse 415
Security GPS trackers

Does anyone have any experience with GPS trackers that a) record your location and b) record the boat's location when it has been stolen? A few like Spot and C-pod are tied into relatively expensive manned service contracts which are not strictly necessary; in the auto world this is a well developed business and typically the costs are much lower. Does anyone have experience of using them? Its inevitable that this sort of technology will eventually be required by insurance companies (and may already reduce premiums) so its worth looking at.
ariette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 17:21   #2

Re: Security GPS trackers

I've used the TK102B and GT-02A trackers in my cars and offroad vehicles. The TK102B has a battery that will last a few days, and the GT-02A is a very slim waterproof model that doesn't have a battery. They both use SIM cards and must transmit their location back to you via the cell system of the carrier that you select. I chose T-mobile because they have a $10 plan that's good for 3 months.

These units cost about $35 ea. and $3.33/mo. to track, they transmit a text msg to your cell phone with a link to Google maps. The drawback of course, is that your vessel may not be within range of a cell tower.

I've also installed battery powered GPS trackers for Portvision, which uses satellites to communicate back to their servers and display the last known position based on the ping rate that you selected when you programmed the unit via PC software. These were considerably more expensive, both to buy and operate. They have a web site where you can view your vessel tracks. Take a look at the Portvision website, they may have some cheaper options than when I last installed units for them.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 18:01   #3

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.

A friend doing the loop has a Eagle track on his Mainship, I've used it to find his location seems to work very well. Have no idea of the unit, installation or cost.
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 19:45   #4
Wireless Satellite Boat Monitoring

Community Sponsor

Check out our site WebBoatWatch.com. We have special forum pricing, just PM me if you are interested.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariette View Post
Does anyone have any experience with GPS trackers that a) record your location and b) record the boat's location when it has been stolen? A few like Spot and C-pod are tied into relatively expensive manned service contracts which are not strictly necessary; in the auto world this is a well developed business and typically the costs are much lower. Does anyone have experience of using them? Its inevitable that this sort of technology will eventually be required by insurance companies (and may already reduce premiums) so its worth looking at.
WebBoatWatch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps, security