Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2022, 13:51   #1

Boat: Saga 43
Second Display for FURUNO TZT9

I'd like to add a second display for my TZT9 down in my Nav station. It seems like adding a dummy display would be pretty easy, but I'd like to be able to access the full functionality of the MFD.

Has anyone connected a computer either to the wireless LAN or DVI of the TZT9? I'm thinking I'd like to build a raspberry pi or similar based computer for interacting with the TZT9 from down below. Any links to similar projects or advice would be greatly appreciated!

-M

"Fair Winds and Following Seas!"
kellmic5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2022, 04:12   #2

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Second Display for FURUNO TZT9

Unless you really like a project, easiest/fastest maybe just another TZT?

-Chris
Old 24-08-2022, 04:37   #3

Chris,

Thanks for the reply. Another TZT would be the easiest option for sure, just plug and play. However, I'm cheaper than I am lazy. Arduino/Pi/etc... boards are increasingly capable and can be had for cheap money (under $100). I'm seeing used TZT units for $1500!

I can't justify that kind of money for a 9" fixed display!! I've made a custom mount for the 27" monitor at my nav station which I can pivot to be seen from the cockpit while underway. I'd really like to be able to have the chart plotter on this screen so that I don't have to maneuver behind the helm every time I want to check the chart/radar. I also have this display duplicated on the tv in my salon in the hopes of being able to check the chart/instruments without getting out of bed while my wife is on watch (still definitely lazy!).

I suppose I could just have dummie monitors down below if it's really not realistic, but it would be nice to be able to add a waypoint etc... from the warmth of the nav station when its snotty out!
Old 24-08-2022, 04:59   #4

Can you use the Furuno navnet iPad app to connect to the TZT9? That way you can use a lot of the functions on the iPad at the chart table/down below.

I have a TZT16 at the chart table a rarely ever use it as most planning is done on the iPad.
SV Tom Crean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2022, 05:38   #5

Tom,

I've checked and it does look like the TZT9 can work with the navnet ipad app. How has your user experience been using the app on your Ipad? I usually try to stay away from the apple ecosystem. I could probably use the app for functionality and duplicate the display on my big monitor and tv. I assume this would require some proprietary apple adapter but that may be an option. I will look into it.

From what I've seen they have 3 different apps that have varying functionality. I'm pretty sure that they're compatible with android operating systems as well.

Another idea I'm having: Has anyone connected a mouse to the TZT9? I'm wondering if I could connect a Bluetooth mouse to the USB port on my plotter in my cockpit. I could use my nav station monitor as a dummy display and actually be controlling the cockpit unit with the mouse down at the nav.
Old 24-08-2022, 06:18   #6

So I don’t use the navnet app (just know it exists) but use the iPad for Navionics planning. Plus the tablet (can be android) can have many uses when at anchor so you get a lot more flexibility.

I have a second TZ16 at the helm but that’s just for passages but is the one that is used the most. I doubt any of these MFDs have mouse support and I doubt they ever will.

Your best bet is to take an android/Apple phone or tablet, install the Navnet Remote app and see if you can connect to your navnet on the boat.
Old 24-08-2022, 07:57   #7

Boat: Outbound 44

Maxsea running on a laptop
Old 24-08-2022, 08:57   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post

So $0 to use the Furuno app and mirror his MFD ,

or $599+charts min for Timezero (maxsea).

Hmmm let me think..
Old 24-08-2022, 09:39   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellmic5 View Post
Chris,

Thanks for the reply. Another TZT would be the easiest option for sure, just plug and play. However, I'm cheaper than I am lazy. Arduino/Pi/etc... boards are increasingly capable and can be had for cheap money (under $100). I'm seeing used TZT units for $1500!

I can't justify that kind of money for a 9" fixed display!!
Yep, there's that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Tom Crean View Post
Can you use the Furuno navnet iPad app to connect to the TZT9? That way you can use a lot of the functions on the iPad at the chart table/down below.
Quote:
Tom,

I've checked and it does look like the TZT9 can work with the navnet ipad app.

From what I've seen they have 3 different apps that have varying functionality. I'm pretty sure that they're compatible with android operating systems as well.

Another idea I'm having: Has anyone connected a mouse to the TZT9?
I've looked at the three TZT apps; haven't figured out what value they might have for us, but they do indeed work on Android.

I've connected a mouse before -- think it was a USB keyboard/mouse combo, and I was using it to edit waypoint names, something like that -- to an earlier NN3D 12" MFD. I'd guess there's a way with their newer TZT MFDs, either Bluetooth or USB.

Quote:
There's a thought. Also not inexpensive, but less expensive than a plotter... and the laptop and be used for other stuff. We run TZ on a standalone laptop as our 4th layer of backup, but TZ with some integration could be relatively full-featured.

-Chris
Old 25-08-2022, 06:19   #10

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Tom Crean View Post
So $0 to use the Furuno app and mirror his MFD ,

or $599+charts min for Timezero (maxsea).

Hmmm let me think..
Charts are sharable between MaxSea and the TZT on the same license. Doing route planning on a tablet vs a laptop is not really comparable. Hmm, do what you want.
Old 25-08-2022, 07:03   #11

Quote:
Charts are sharable between MaxSea and the TZT on the same license. Doing route planning on a tablet vs a laptop is not really comparable. Hmm, do what you want.

Thanks Paul.
I didn’t know that!

Agree a laptop is better for planning but all depends on his budget and tech understanding.
Old 13-09-2022, 13:10   #12

Quote:
Paul,

Forgive me for my novice. Is MaxSea still relevant software? I can hardly find any resources on it. The website selling it looks like it's from the 90's and the articles about it being the "software of the new millennium" are from like 2002.

I'm shocked at how expensive and archaic these systems are! I can get high speed satellite internet offshore for $139/mo. but I can't control my thousands of dollar MFD from a computer at my nav station...

I've been having intermittent powering off of my TZT lately. So I might be replacing it if I can't track down the issue. If I do decide to replace it, does anyone here have any suggestions on a more easily integrated MFD?
Old 13-09-2022, 13:24   #13

Does anyone have experience with Expedition software?
Old 14-09-2022, 04:54   #14

Quote:
Forgive me for my novice. Is MaxSea still relevant software? I can hardly find any resources on it. The website selling it looks like it's from the 90's and the articles about it being the "software of the new millennium" are from like 2002.
Normally called TimeZero now:

https://mytimezero.com/

The TZ in TZT (TZ Touch).

-Chris

Tags
furuno