Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2020, 10:35   #1

Boat: Passport 41
Seatalk ST60 to NG

I have the below network. Whenever the ST60 Wind is plugged into the converter (in any combination of ST1 connections), the MFD loses Depth (and no wind still). Works perfectly with just depth/speed head unit attached to Converter. The ST60 wind itself works fine when it has power.

Any conclusion besides ST60 Wind Head unit is bad?

kev_rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 10:48   #2

Re: Seatalk ST60 to NG

my guess is bad head.

Is the stng power feed the only one? You have the possibility of 3 feeds in that pic. If the st1 is powered it will backfeed the stng network. And most pilots also feed the stng network. I wound confirm you only have one power feed in to the whole system. Otherwise it looks ok.

Is the terminator really at the compass? Or end of the 5 way?
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 10:54   #3

Ok thanks,

The left side term is at a Tee just in front of flux compass. Its not a 5-way.

I don't think the AP powers the NG network.. Its an EV1/ACU400/P70. And there is nothing powering the ST1 network except the Adapter... I totally disconnected the legacy NG1 network and those are are all in the same pod so I am quite sure of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
my guess is bad head.

Is the stng power feed the only one? You have the possibility of 3 feeds in that pic. If the st1 is powered it will backfeed the stng network. And most pilots also feed the stng network. I wound confirm you only have one power feed in to the whole system. Otherwise it looks ok.

Is the terminator really at the compass? Or end of the 5 way?
Old 04-01-2020, 12:48   #4

Boat: Tayana 48DS 48'

I would agree that the ST60 Wind head is kaput and is shorting out the ST1 buss. You could verify that by examining the data lines with a multimeter - normal operation will show data (jittering voltages) but I bet when you plug in the Wind gauge, it flat-lines
Do you have the Raymarine ST1 wiring diagram for ST60? They have all that stuff on their website Manuals and Documents | Raymarine -- look in "retired models" at the bottom.
Hartleyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 13:22   #5

Follow the instructions in the link below to test your masthead sensors.

Raymarine Masthead Wind Transducer Test
Old 04-01-2020, 13:34   #6

Ugh, I wish it was that simple - but I have an St-60 multi that receives data from the ST-60 wind, although it does sporadically lose the network. I did not show it on the diagram because I left it out of the picture for troubleshooting purposes. My guess is there is a some kind of partial data loss on the wind head that the NG converter is not tolerant of but the legacy devices are. I ordered a replacement ST-60 wind off ebay if that doesn't give me some love, I'll bite the bullet on the i70 (?) or perhaps just go with the ITC5 and use the MFD solo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartleyg View Post
I would agree that the ST60 Wind head is kaput and is shorting out the ST1 buss. You could verify that by examining the data lines with a multimeter - normal operation will show data (jittering voltages) but I bet when you plug in the Wind gauge, it flat-lines
Do you have the Raymarine ST1 wiring diagram for ST60? They have all that stuff on their website Manuals and Documents | Raymarine -- look in "retired models" at the bottom.
Old 05-01-2020, 09:28   #7

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38

Assure that you have open network sockets and those on back of instruments with either a network connection or a blanking plug.
KadeyKrogen38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 16:10   #8

Boat: Pearson 10M

3 power feeds are not an issue. 3 are required.
Sounds like the processing of the data by the display/head is faulty.
I suggest a new STNG/NMEA2000 wind instruments will solve your problems and better prepare you for future upgrades. Sorry I know it’s an expensive solution.
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 16:52   #9

Boat: Tayana 48DS 48'

Did a bit of thinking - Seatalk (and NMEA-0183) use tri-state outputs - so the device has three possible states: 1) transmit high 2) transmit lo 3) Off. In the off state, the device should effectively be "open" - that is, not supplying voltage or ground to the data buss. If a device is loading the data buss in what should be the "Off" state, it may work by itself, but will disable any other device on the network.

This may explain why the wind works by itself, but not in concert with other instruments.

Hartley
S/V Atsa
Hartleyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 17:50   #10

Hi

I have set up a simmilar network recently. Our existing ST60 network(AP, Wind, Speed, Depth) is all powered from the ST6001 AP. I was advised to keep this setup as the ST network will run independantly in addition to powering the stng adapter and therefore the backbone and it does. I also have connected the supplied power spur so that the ST system is powered without the AP if necissary without any ill effects.

Perhaps your ST network is losing power somehow?

Hope this is helpful.
Nineteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 00:09   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

I don't have a problem YET...I have a Raymarine system with ST60 instruments and a radar installed in 2009.

I had to replace my GPS antenna and had to power that with the SeaTalkng converter. Now I need to replace the C120, it is running slowly, not displaying all of the chart. I have reinstalled the system software several times to no avail.

Now I want to add a newer MFD and I am hoping that I don't need to replace the instruments or the radar.

I will be speaking to Raymarine at the Boot Show in Düsseldorf in a few weeks, but I want to see what the CF says.

Thanks.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 00:22   #12

Hi
All my ST equipment talks to my Axiom7RV and AxiomPro 12RVX. I am not sure what connector is on your Radar? If it is Raynet it will connect to that socket on your new display. All the rest will connect via the STNG socket via the converter.
Cheers
Nineteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 04:26   #13

Boat: Lagoon 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by George DuBose View Post
I don't have a problem YET...I have a Raymarine system with ST60 instruments and a radar installed in 2009.

I had to replace my GPS antenna and had to power that with the SeaTalkng converter. Now I need to replace the C120, it is running slowly, not displaying all of the chart. I have reinstalled the system software several times to no avail.

Now I want to add a newer MFD and I am hoping that I don't need to replace the instruments or the radar.

I will be speaking to Raymarine at the Boot Show in Düsseldorf in a few weeks, but I want to see what the CF says.

Thanks.
Your 2009 radar is likely an analog unit that has a single thick cable plugged directly into the back of the C120. That cable provides power to the radar and transmits data from the radar.

Newer MFD's communicate with radar via a Raynet cable (or WiFi). The Raynet cable either plugs directly into the MFD or through a HS5 network switch.

In short, newer Raymarine MFD's (anything more modem than the E series classic) are not compatible with older analog Raymarine radars.

On the upside, there is a lot of demand for used analog radars and they are easily sold should you decide to upgrade.

The rest of your instruments from 2009, excluding autopilot, will communicate via SeatalkNG just fine, as long as you are bringing wind, speed and depth data onto that SeatalkNG network either via the older converter pods or using an ITC5.

If the autopilot is communicating via a Seatalk2 network you will have to do some upgrade there as well. It could be as easy as plugging in a Raymarine Seatalk to SeatalkNG converter junction and cables.
rudykruger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2020, 09:44   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

I hope this is the right thread. My C120 is running slowly and sometimes only displays half the chart. I have reinstalled the latest software to no avail.

I am considering buying a Raymarine Element 12" MFD to replace the Raymarine C120
I have a set of ST60+ instruments, AIS transponder,
Raymarine VHF (not sure of the model), RD424 radome, B45 sonar
transponder, Wheel Pilot autopilot, SeaTalk 1 to SeaTalkng Converter
used with the GPS antenna that I had to buy to replace the 2008 model.

Raymarine told me that my ST60+ instruments would work since I have the Seatalk1 to Seatalkng converter already. I was told by Raymarine that the RD424 radar won't work with the Element MFD, is there no "hack" or conversion device to get the older radar to work with Element 12? What about my B45 depth finder is that going to work with the Element?

I can't afford to replace the whole system and another option is to have the C120 "tuned up" by SeaWire Marine in Florida, but that may be throwing good money after bad.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2020, 10:25   #15

George, anything st1 should be available on mfd if you have the converter. I have wind, depth, water temp all plugged in that way. Per the above, my ST60 head unit was bad and finding a replacement has resolved the issue. Radar network and Sonar Transducer compatibility is going to be specific to your MFD those aren't seatalk or nmea network sources.

Tags
seatalk