Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2011, 16:37   #1

Boat: Vagabond 42
SeaTalk Bus 12vdc Fuse ?

I have a Robertson autopilot and Raymarine GPS sensor, E-80 and old ST 50 instruments running on a Sea Talk bus. Today I changed out the non-functioning Sea Talk to NMEA 183 interface board with a spare that I had on board. I duplicated the wiring set up exactly but when I started the system up I had lost all Sea Talk information. The instruments are not up. No GPS signal to the E-80. The Sea Talk bus is not getting 12v power. Is there a fuse in that system separate from the breaker? Ay ideas where it might be? Any ideas what has occurred?
callistov42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 16:25   #2

Boat: Freedom 32 (Hoyt)
There could be a fuse, then again there may not, it depends on the person who wired the system. A seatch of the SeaTalk cabling should not take too long. The only other fuse in a SeaTalk system I am aware of would be in the autopilot, but as you have a Robertson unit we can exclude that.

You will have to take a methodical approach to trouble-shooting to determin where the power originally was sourced. Of course, you could also introduce an alternate 12V supply to the SeaTalk system.
r.furborough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 16:55   #3
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
its quite common that (a) thers a hidden in line fuse or one of teh connectors hiddenn somewhere has patially disconnected.

Do like me hunt down and remove all inline fuses. nasty things shouldnt be ona boat.

Dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:35   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to Sheriff
bad idea to remove fuses from instruments.if there is a spike or problem for the fuse to blow its better to find the problem than replace all your equipment. I had a customer who did that who now has to replace his ssb and power supply

Tags
fuses, seatalk