Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2017, 14:15   #1

Boat: Jarrett 50, Bill Dixon designed 50' Steel Cutter Rigged Ketch
ScanPod Flex Mount - any good?

Hi there

(This is my first post, so go easy on me!!).

We're installing a new plotter at our helm, and are thinking of using a Scan Pod FlexMount like this.

Obviously our primary use will be standing at the wheel, with the plotter facing aft towards the helmsman. But when we're on night watches, or when the weather is inclement, we tend to sit forward of the helm under the dodger for protection, so it's appealing to be able to spin the Plotter around to face forward, so that we can both see radar/AIS etc and interact with it without having to get up every 5 minutes.

Has anyone seen one in the wild? I'm interested in how robust they are, does the ball joint stand up to repeated use without becoming "floppy", is it tight enough when locked in position that someone can hold onto the pod without it moving, and do the cables stand up to the repeated twisting that would happen every time we spin the mounting.

If you haven't used (or seen) one yourself, do you have any other suggestions for how to solve this use case?

(if it helps, we're planning to install a B&G Zeus3 12" plotter).

Many thanks in advance.
PeterBernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 03:29   #2

Boat: Gib'Sea 402
Re: ScanPod Flex Mount - any good?

I don't think the product you've referenced can rotate on its base. You'll need some thing like this though I doubt it's strong enough to support a Zeus3 12".
hoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 04:44   #3

Boat: Jarrett 50, Bill Dixon designed 50' Steel Cutter Rigged Ketch
Re: ScanPod Flex Mount - any good?

Hi Hoolie - thanks for the response.

I agree that the Rokk product definitely would not be strong enough for such a large plotter, at least not in long term usage.

The product I referenced definitely does rotate (see installation instruction screenshot attached) , although on closer inspection, it looks like I'd need to use a 13mm wrench every time I wanted to rotate it, which would be a bit of a pain.

Still keen to hear if anyone has used one, or if there's any other alternatives out there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-09-19 at 9.32.22 PM.png
Views:	63
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	156357  
PeterBernard is offline   Reply With Quote