Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2019, 11:12   #1

Satlite revievers

Ok so my kvh m3 system is no longer viable as DirecTV has shut down all standard definition programming
I plan to buy a new system so my question is does anyone know if any or the receivers for either DirecTV or Dish TV are 12 volt but I've worked hard to try to keep my boat all 12-volt without using the inverter I've contacted both kvh and intellian. with no response. I think I would rather shoot myself than try to talk to DirecTV or DishTV
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 12:14   #2

Boat: Lancer 27PS
Re: Satlite revievers

I don't know your level of electronics regarding AC power and DC power . But, if this was me, and knowing that most if not all devices these days run on DC then I would find a way to bypass the AC power supply and inject the required DC power into the receiver. Knowing that mostly AC power in modern devices is more for convenience than anything else, except where motors are used.

I realize that this in not what you were looking for, but an alternative in the event you cannot find what you are looking for.
Brian.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 12:33   #3

Brian
that's exactly what I'm trying to do bypass the inefficiency of the inverter I've worked hard to get my boat 90% DC powered. I looked online and even talked to a few dealers but no one seems to know for sure. That's why I am reaching out to those it might have such devices
Old 08-04-2019, 13:07   #4

Oh, I was under the impression you are looking for a receiver that is already DC friendly. My take on this was to take an AC receiver needing an inverter and convert it to DC use. Sorry if I misunderstood.
Old 08-04-2019, 13:32   #5

Yes. I am trying to find if there is a 12-volt DC receiver I can use
Old 08-04-2019, 13:47   #6

KVH DirecTV H25 maybe? I would also think that any satellite receiver that uses a wart power supply will work on direct DC. Of course I am sure you already knew that. OK
Old 08-04-2019, 14:17   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.D View Post
KVH DirecTV H25 maybe? I would also think that any satellite receiver that uses a wart power supply will work on direct DC. Of course I am sure you already knew that. OK
Yea the h25 maybe. I looked at you different sources and came back with two different answers I was hoping to hear from someone that is actually using that receiver as I have not seen one myself
Old 08-04-2019, 23:56   #8

I have never seen a DC sat receiver. also non of the ac ones I've seen have a power brick, AC right inside the unit.

just buy small 200w inverter. inefficacy will be mim compared to say turning on and runing it off a 2000w.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:12   #9

I have searched and found many receivers that use power bricks or wall warts. All AC powered units, except those specifically requiring AC, run on DC.

It is easy to tap into the spot after the DC filter capacitor on the power supply with a DC equivalent voltage. As I mentioned before, the inclusion of an internal AC power supply is for convenience to the user. Houses are not equipped with storage batteries.

Internal or external, AC power supplies serves one function; convert an AC source for a working DC environment.
Old 22-08-2019, 05:43   #10

Boat: Hunter, 41DS

Hi, having just purchased a 2009 Hunter with a KVH M3 on board, I called tech support at KVH to see what the deal is with the old DirectTV M10 receivers and KVH M3 setups.

The tech guy, who was very helpful, told me,

To re activate the system, I would need to purchase the following;
H24 receiver ($100)
D.C. Block splitter 19-0423 ($25), splits the signal between the old M10 controlling the antenna and the new H24 for the programming.
KVH De stacker 19-0347 ($168)
Call Direct and activate the H24.

I would still be limited to SD,
But the system can be easily brought back to life for about $300

I haven't pulled the trigger yet as it seems the girl friend would rather have decent internet and stream Netflix, so I might just save my money for an upgraded data plan
Hiroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 05:49   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Satlite revievers

I’ve just seen this.
Call the sales Lady at KVH, she will talk to you intelligently. Sorry. Forgot her name.
Long story short, KVH used to apparently had their own receiver, which is no longer available and no longer supported, there are no spares. For the last several years they rely on you bringing your own either Dish or Direct TV receiver, which there are none that are DC powered, or have a brick that converts AC to DC. You pretty much have to run the Dish Or Direct Receiver off of AC.
Only the smaller inexpensive receivers will work, the fancy ones like the Joey won’t however the inexpensive ones are cheap, and you can get them on Amazon or elsewhere.
The actual Dish itself and it’s associated receiver runs off of DC, but without the Dish receiver or Direct receiver you can’t get TV signals.
I have I believe a dedicated 150W inverter that powers both the Samsung TV and the receiver, the receiver power draw is very small.

I have a KVH TV5
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 05:55   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

DC to DC voltage converters actually use AC internally to do the conversion. So you have the choice of having your AC internally or externally. The external converters are more likely to be more power-efficient in the process though.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote