Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2015, 01:43   #1

SA320 GPS with Raymarine RL80C Pathfinder

As others have written here, my GPS antenna stopped working. It was old and rusted out, so out with the old and in with an Evermore SA320 RS232.

I thought that it would be a direct and easy fit. Fortunately, I tried a test run before running the wires.

I am connecting it via a wiring block. The 0183 cable from the chartplotter, a Raymarine RL80C Pathfinder, has the usual wires, Red for power, Black ground, shield, Green +, Blue -, Orange +, Yellow -.

SA320 has Red Power, Black ground, shield (instructions say to connect to ground), Green +, White -, and a blue that they say isn't used for this.

Voltage is good, 12V system on the boat, and the unit accepts from 9-32V.

Once connected I get a persistent NO FIX message. At one point, I tried the Orange/Yellow combination instead of the Green/Blue, and it seemed that it was now searching for satellites. At this point I was just twisting the wires together to see what would work. Thinking it was now good, I disconnected the wires to attach them to the wiring block.....Then, nothing....and still nothing.

Unless someone can suggest where I'm going wrong with the connections, I think my next step is to wire it up to a RS232 plug, and test the antenna via the laptop. That'll take a little time.

Any other ideas? I've tried all the wiring combs that I can. I read on another post, somewhere on the old internet, and one guys says that there was a software incompatibility between the older Raymarine system, and the newer SA320. Does that ring true to anyone?

Thanks
joker64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 01:24   #2

Re: SA320 GPS with Raymarine RL80C Pathfinder

Resolved. Red to Red, Black to Black, Green + to Green +, Shield from gps to blue - on the chartplotter.
joker64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps, marine, raymarine