Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2017, 19:30   #1

Boat: Shin Fa 458 Custom Cutter but looks like a Liberty 458
Robertson/Simrad AP300 autopilot.

My last controller unit in my cockpit just died and I brought in one off ebay and got it installed today. Fired up just fine but when I turn on the unit so it will control the rudder and turn the small dial on it, it will only move the rudder about 12 degrees each way instead of the regular 45 the old one did. I'm reading the owners manual to see if there is anything on this but so far nothing. When I turn the wheel manually, the rudder indicator shows it going from stop to stop.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We had to hand steer for the last 3.5 days to get into Panama and we'd prefer to never have to do that again!
mestrezat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 20:42   #2
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Uniflite 31, 1973
Re: Robertson/Simrad AP300 autopilot.

Check rudder limit setting: follow the manual or:
Press 'Nav' for 3 sec for setup
press > key for dockside settings, turn knob to enter setting
press > key for rudder limit, see setting, adjust
press 'Standby' to exit
Old 04-11-2017, 08:27   #3

I did as you suggested and now the auto pilot won't steer the boat. When I engage the auto feature and turn the knob to starboard, it pushes the rudder hard to a port turn and the alarm goes off saying "Rudder resp failure". When I hit the next button, it goes to a screen that says "J3xx current overload".
What did I screw up?
HELP!!!!
Old 04-11-2017, 08:39   #4

Update: in "stby"when I turn the steering wheel to port, it shows up on the bar at the bottom of the screen. I turn it back to center and the bar moves to zero degrees. When I turn for a starboard turn, nothing shows up on the rudder bar but the rudder does turn.
I hit the auto button and all is quiet till I turn the small dial on the unit. The unit shows the rudder immediately turn the rudder to port and. The alarm goes off saying "J3 current overload". Checking the rudder, it has indeed turned to 29degrees to port. Turning the knob back to starboard, nothing happens.
I need some help BAD!
Old 04-11-2017, 09:19   #5
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Uniflite 31, 1973

Rudder feedback unit failure is a possibility. Overcurrent warning means that the unit has driven the rudder against the stop due to wrong motor direction, RFU failure or wrong calibration or limit setting. (failed motor will also)

If you don't have the user manual, download it here:
https://www.simrad-yachting.com/Root...ish/AP300X.pdf

Make sure there is no issue with the RFU linkage. See p 97 for 'Rudder Feedback Calibration", this is in the "Dockside Settings" menu. Note that the calibration can be backwards, the knob will adjust it all the way from one side to the other. After this procedure check your rudder angle indication manually with the wheel and insure it is correct - the bargraph goes to left when turned to port, right when turned to stbd, and has consistent indication across the span. If not, you have a failed RFU. If OK, then proceed to the 'Automatic Rudder Test' which will tell you if the motor direction is correct. Now, in the Standby mode you should have proper rudder operation and indication using the red and green arrow keys (Jog Steering). If wrong, reverse the motor leads. At this point, check that your 'Rudder Limit' is set a couple degrees less than the hard-over point. Press 'Auto', there should be no response from the rudder as long as the boat is straight. Turn the knob a few clicks one way or the other - this should cause a response from the rudder in the same direction. If this is OK the pilot should work normally.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:59   #6

Since it's screwed up now, what if I do a Master Reset? Would it make anything worse? Center the rudder and do it? Your thoughts?

Tags
autopilot, simrad