Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2010, 13:17   #1

Boat: Tashiba 40
RFI on SSB Radio from FloNet

I'm interested in finding any mariner who has a NMEA 2000 network installed and working along with a FloNet fuel monitoring system and a Single Sideband Radio.
If you have all three please contact me off list as I would like to conduct a test to see if a persistent radio interference issue from the FloNet system is widespread.

Last season I installed the FloNet from Floscan. This system has performed outstanding and is very accurate in recording how much fuel is being used and at what rate. All this is displayed on the chartplotter via the N2K network, however, the FloNet is producing enormous RFI. I've tested by disconnecting each N2K device one at a time and no other product is involved - only the FloNet box generates RFI.

I have found other end users with the same problem, but Floscan does not admit an RFI problem and has an opinion that "any RFI is not important since few people use SSB radio anymore". I'm trying to convince them otherwise. Any help with this is most appreciated.

Richard
Kc2isg
rcassano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2010, 13:36   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
G'Day Richard,

Can't help you other than to support your effort. That is about the worst OEM attitude that I've ever heard of. What a crock!

Good luck with your efforts.

73 de Jim N9GFT/VK4GFT
Old 24-12-2010, 13:54   #3

Boat: Tashiba 40
Jim & Ann,
Thank you for your support. Before filing a complaint with the FCC I would like to be sure there are others in the same situation. Complaining for my benefit alone would not be productive. In recent years I have not found any new marine electronic products that produce RFI. I believe most companies have worked on this successfully. It's too bad as the FloNet does its intended job well. Fixing the FloNet box RFI problem is a must.
rcassano is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio