Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2020, 09:59   #1

Boat: 1997 Bavaria 46E
Rewiring some of my 0183 devices/data

I’m working to remove unused equipment and still keep “data flowing” from transducers to the appropriate instruments. I'm not ready to upgrade transducers yet.

Here’s my current question:

I have an old Raymarine C80 plotter to remove. Currently data is wired this way:
white 0183 negative in from gray positive out Vesper (38400 baud)
green 0183 positive in from yellow negative out Vesper (38400 baud)

Seatalk connection on C80:
gray ground connected to shared ground on a data bus bar
yellow data connected to yellow data to STng converter

The STng converter currently is connected with the GPS antenna, and then via a cable to my NMEA 2000 network.

The data busbar is wired (I think, because the data is available on my N2K network) receives all the data from the 0183 data from the depth/speed/temp/wind transducers.

The E85001 is wired to the data busbar (red—power and yellow—connected to the yellow Seatalk from my ST60 Tridata), and then out from the E85001 is yellow and green to my VHF (GPS?).

I want to remove the C80. If I unplug the data cables from it, it interrupts all my 0183 data, and I no longer have any of it on my N2K network.

How can I rewire the connections to get rid of the C80?

Is the yellow Seatalk wire from the ST60 carrying all the other nav data?? I don’t plan to get rid of the ST60 (yet) as I think I need it to translate the transducer signals.

Attached is a jpeg of the rough schematic I’ve drawn showing what I see of the current wiring.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NMEA 0183 schematic.jpeg
Views:	61
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	217398  
raingolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2020, 12:11   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Rewiring some of my 0183 devices/data

(scratch that, dont think I interpreted your diagram correctly, will read and post again later)
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2020, 19:32   #3

based on that drawing. unplugging the plotter should do nothing. it is only receiving data.

where is the seatalk / seatalkng / nmea 2000 getting power from? (possible the pilot?) are you sure the red wire of the plotter is not connected? the plotter could be powering the seatalk network. which then makes sense nothing works when it's unplugged.

are you sure depth and speed are not going to the e80 via a dsm? that would stop data getting to the network when the 80 removed.

I don't understand why you are feeding depth and speed into an autopilot.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2020, 21:45   #4

Boat: 1997 Bavaria 46E

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
based on that drawing. unplugging the plotter should do nothing. it is only receiving data.

where is the seatalk / seatalkng / nmea 2000 getting power from? (possible the pilot?) are you sure the red wire of the plotter is not connected? the plotter could be powering the seatalk network. which then makes sense nothing works when it's unplugged.

are you sure depth and speed are not going to the e80 via a dsm? that would stop data getting to the network when the 80 removed.

I don't understand why you are feeding depth and speed into an autopilot.

Yes, the plotter previously had the red wire connected to power, but it has been removed.

are you sure depth and speed are not going to the e80 via a dsm?

I'm not confident in exactly how the depth and speed are getting to the C80. I assumed the yellow data cable on the seatalk connection into the plotter was providing all that data. But, I really don't know

I'm not actually trying to get depth/speed into the AP. My current goal is to keep that data going to the Vesper
raingolfer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wiring