Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2022, 14:26   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 519
Reset MMSI on RAY60

I am looking for a reliable way to reset the MMSI on a Raymarine RAY60 VHF radio. I am aware of similar threads on this subject but the replies are generally suggestions that apply to other radios. I tried them and they don't work. I am also aware that this can be done by sending the radio to Raymarine.

The most accurate information seems to be that this required to plug a modified mic in the radio.

I will test and confirm if a real suggestion is offered.

Please do not hijack this thread with methods that work on other radios!

RAY 50, 52, 60 and 70 share the same user manuals so it is possible that the solution is the same for this series only.
medviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 13:19   #2

Re: Reset MMSI on RAY60

For those interested in this thread, here is the response I got from Raymarine:
The Ray60 can be sent to have the MMSI changed. The cost associated would be the Maintenance and Investigation fee of $140.00 plus tax and shipping. We have included the link and instructions below for our customer portal should you decide to send the Ray60 in
So with shipping (both ways) and tax added, it will be about $200. Other vendors have a simple procedure. This is not a very consumer friendly approach...
Old 08-12-2022, 04:43   #3

Agree that this is not a very customer friendly approach. We (RTCM.org) are preparing updates to the certification standard addressing these radios (IEC 62238) which, when complete, will be sent to IEC for them to complete the job. We are trying to address this problem there. We cannot require MMSI reset be free, but we can require that the process be simplified and be accomplished without removing the radio from the boat.

The International Telecommunications Union wonít allow us get rid of MMSI reset restrictions, but we certainly require that simplified means be available.
joehersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 09:59   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehersey View Post
Agree that this is not a very customer friendly approach. We (RTCM.org) are preparing updates to the certification standard addressing these radios (IEC 62238) which, when complete, will be sent to IEC for them to complete the job. We are trying to address this problem there. We cannot require MMSI reset be free, but we can require that the process be simplified and be accomplished without removing the radio from the boat.

The International Telecommunications Union wonít allow us get rid of MMSI reset restrictions, but we certainly require that simplified means be available.
Thanks a lot for your input. I can see solutions where a user would need to prove having ownership of a MMSI and would be given a unique code to enter in the radio that would allow that unique MMSI to be programmed in the radio. Similar approaches are already implemented by some manufacturers so that does not justify that other manufacturers use the MMSI reset as a profit center.

Feel free to reach me by PM if you want user or technical inputs.
Old 08-12-2022, 10:04   #5
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by medviking View Post
Thanks a lot for your input. I can see solutions where a user would need to prove having ownership of a MMSI and would be given a unique code to enter in the radio that would allow that unique MMSI to be programmed in the radio. Similar approaches are already implemented by some manufacturers so that does not justify that other manufacturers use the MMSI reset as a profit center.

Feel free to reach me by PM if you want user or technical inputs.
My Raymarine centre will happily reprogram mmsi for Ä50 on production of the aprtopriate ships radio license shown the allocated mmsi and call sign etc.

I donít see this as extortionate in any way. I fail to see what the issue is here
Old 08-12-2022, 10:13   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Southerly 480

I don't believe the Raymarine radios need to be removed from the ship. There is, evidently, a "golden" mic that an authorized dealer can purchase and use to reset the MMSI.

The problem is that many dealers don't have the microphone.
shimari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 10:28   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
My Raymarine centre will happily reprogram mmsi for Ä50 on production of the aprtopriate ships radio license shown the allocated mmsi and call sign etc.

I donít see this as extortionate in any way. I fail to see what the issue is here
You see Ä50 as reasonable (and I agree) but I see $140 + tax + shipping both ways as NOT reasonable. Not counting the time it takes to take the radio off the boat, etc...
Old 08-12-2022, 11:35   #8
Nearly an old salt

Reset MMSI on RAY60

Quote:
You see Ä50 as reasonable (and I agree) but I see $140 + tax + shipping both ways as NOT reasonable. Not counting the time it takes to take the radio off the boat, etc...

My local electronics dealer support Ray B&G /simrad and Harmon azures me here can reset MMSI in all products.
Old 08-12-2022, 13:57   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Southerly 480

Quote:
Agreed - Raymarine USA wouldn't even give me a quote to reset it. Just send it in at my cost. We'll do it and charge you something, but couldn't tell me what the charge would be. Could have been the representative I was speaking with possibly.

Found a dealer in Annapolis that could do it after calling several. $75 if I remember right.
shimari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 14:53   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

The issue here is that making it impossible for the owner of a radio to change the MMSI, is cumbersome to the end user, and doesn't really offer much protection against any realistic threat.

The justification for the ITU's position is that if you let people change the MMSI on a radio, malicious actors will be spoofing MMSI numbers that don't belong to them. On the face that's not a crazy position, until you realize that anybody who's good with software and a soldering iron can pretty much spoof whatever MMSI they want whenever they want. So requiring manufacturer involvement to change MMSI numbers fails to defend against a halfway-skilled adversary, and imposes burdens on the legitimate user who buys a used radio or wants to move a radio from one boat to another.
ChrisOwens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 15:31   #11

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Don't buy a Raymarine radio, they are not very good and more expensive than other nakes. Vote with your wallet.
Flog the offending item on ebay, in a few years there will be so many radios with inherited MMSI numbers the whole system will break down. How brilliant is that!

It is a scam as stated earlier their is only a requirement for supplier intervention, that can be done over the phone with a code.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 17:17   #12

Rent-seeking by the manufacturers leads to regulatory capture, which in turn leads to regulation that disadvantages the little guy to the benefit of the manufacturers. Late-stage capitalism working exactly as intended.
ChrisOwens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 00:53   #13
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisOwens View Post
Rent-seeking by the manufacturers leads to regulatory capture, which in turn leads to regulation that disadvantages the little guy to the benefit of the manufacturers. Late-stage capitalism working exactly as intended.

Blame the figures sitting around the table especially the USA when GMDSS was being trashed out and restrictions on who could change MMSI were objected to my the US delegation. The manufacturers didnít want this responsibility at all.