Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2021, 19:29   #1

Boat: 1987 Pearson 31 MK2
Replacing Transducers

We just bought our new boat and want to add new instruments. I have an existing transducer for depth and was wondering if anybody knows if I can just replace the transducer without install the whole new fitting? Im in a situation where I have no access to haul out services so redoing the whole through hole is really not an option.

Thanks!
NLRDANNERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 20:24   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Replacing Transducers

Airmar supplies transducers for numerous instrument manufacturers. They are threaded and inserted into a smooth hole from outside the hull before a locking nut is tightened from inside the hull. A bead of sealant is applied to the transducer before they are inserted into the hole in the hull.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 22:23   #3

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
Airmar supplies transducers for numerous instrument manufacturers. They are threaded and inserted into a smooth hole from outside the hull before a locking nut is tightened from inside the hull. A bead of sealant is applied to the transducer before they are inserted into the hole in the hull.

In short the boat needs to be out of the water
Old 06-09-2021, 01:57   #4

Boat: Gib'Sea 402

There is a thread on this forum https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ok-253832.html about in-hull sensors and a number of people describe their success with mounting transducers that are normally through-hull as in-hull. You could try mounting your device using silicone and see if you can get it to work satisfactorily on your boat. Needless to say if it's not a "smart" device you'll need a compatible instrument to drive it.
hoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 04:26   #5

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLRDANNERS View Post
We just bought our new boat and want to add new instruments. I have an existing transducer for depth and was wondering if anybody knows if I can just replace the transducer without install the whole new fitting? Im in a situation where I have no access to haul out services so redoing the whole through hole is really not an option.

Thanks!

Chances are excellent that your transducer will work fine with the new instruments, but you will need to replace the cable end. You need to figure out the transducer manufacturer and frequencies. If it is a 50Hz or 200Hz transducer made by Airmar, you will only need to get a new cable and splice it to the old one. Gemeco sells all sorts of cables. However, if it is something weird, you're probably out of luck.
Old 06-09-2021, 05:09   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
Chances are excellent that your transducer will work fine with the new instruments, [...]
However, if it is something weird, you're probably out of luck.
If you have instruments by Nasa Marine, a very popular budget brand around here, you're out of luck. The transducers are smaller and different, but replacements are available.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 06:15   #7

Boat: 1987 Pearson 31 MK2

I’m liking the in hull solution. Sounds like an easy install and I can get knot speed from any of the apps out there. Speed is not as important to me as depth is.
NLRDANNERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 06:36   #8

Boat: 30' Ericson / 42' Golden Star / Yard full of trailer boats

What brand is the existing? Airmar through hulls that are not the shoe type are designed to be removed from inside the boat to clean the speed wheel. Identifiable by a short chain and pin assembly on the interior tube. Its a little daunting at first to pull it. Have a plug ready, they make one, but a towel will do. The push through sensors are interchangeable. Run a bottle brush inside the tube, lube the O ring and reset.
Turtle Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 12:55   #9

Boat: Island Packet 40

Looks like a suck it and see situation unless the manufacturers will give you specifications to compare.

Tags
transducer