Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2020, 13:33   #1

Boat: Hunter 36
Replacing old Raymarine chartplotter

I have an ancient Raymarine C80 chartplotter that looks like this. It's from 2006. It functions, but updating the maps is very difficult, and in fact, I don't even know if they are updated anymore. It's inside a Navpod housing.

If I purchase a new chartplotter, assuming it's the same dimensions as the old one, would it be as simple as just taking the old one out and attaching the new one to the old wiring? Or would any of the wiring to the GPS antenna, etc be different now?

If I replaced it with a different brand, of chartplotter, would it be just as compatible as if I stuck with Raymarine?

Note: I don't have SeaTalk, or fishfinder radar, or anything fancy.
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2020, 13:43   #2

Boat: Outremer 50S
Re: Replacing old Raymarine chartplotter

There's not a simple answer because it depends on what is connected to your C80. Is it just a chart display? Or does it have a radar connected? Or the DSM depth module?

If it is just a display using SeaTalkng (and maybe SeaTalk) then you could probably find a replacement that would be close to drop-in. But if it has the transducers connected then the field becomes much smaller.

[Edit] sorry, just looked at the connectors and realized it is SeaTalk2, not ng on the C80. So, nothing really easy.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2020, 13:52   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Raymarine do mounting kits to convert from old chart plotters to the newer range, but it's only some models. When I sold our C80 and bought the new Element 9 there was a difference of a few mm. The solution was a plastic chopping board about 6mm thick from ASDA a branch of Walmart and a hour down the shed machining it to fit. Being a kitchen chopping board the stuff in incredibly tough.

A set of security screws may help slow down anyone with light fingers and lower morals.

So you have some other RM kit, you could add a SeatalkNG (NEMA2000) network and add the depth, speed and wind displays onto a newer version RM chart plotter with a widget. You could also connect up the wheel pilot and a VHF with AIS etc. So worth thinking about long term were this might lead to and make the decisions now, even if you have to do it in stages as we did.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0483.JPG
Views:	245
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	217413  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2020, 14:02   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
There's not a simple answer because it depends on what is connected to your C80. Is it just a chart display? Or does it have a radar connected? Or the DSM depth module?

If it is just a display using SeaTalkng (and maybe SeaTalk) then you could probably find a replacement that would be close to drop-in. But if it has the transducers connected then the field becomes much smaller.

[Edit] sorry, just looked at the connectors and realized it is SeaTalk2, not ng on the C80. So, nothing really easy.

Like I said, I don't have anything fancy. No radar, no DSM depth module. I simply want to swap out the old chartplotter with a new one. My question is, are the connectors and everything the same? And would they still be the same if I went with another brand?
Old 15-06-2020, 14:19   #5

If the only thing your C80 has is GPS then it shouldn't be too complicated. The C80 had a separate power cable, so you could use that to power just about anything, even if it is intended to be NMEA 2000 powered. Most likely have to cut off the end and apply some new connector.

The GPS for the C80 was a SeaTalk powered GPS antenna/receiver. I don't think any of the newest RM plotters have a SeaTalk port. You might be able to make it work with a SeaTalk->SeaTalkng adapter, but I've never tried that particular setup. Or get an MFD with built-in GPS antenna. Or use the old cable to pull a new one and mount a new GPS antenna.
Old 15-06-2020, 14:59   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
Or get an MFD with built-in GPS antenna.

OK, this leads to another question. I have heard the newest ones have GPS antennas built in. But how that can work with a bimini? Doesn't it need a clear connection to the sky? The good thing about my GPS antenna is that it's mounted on the stern rail away from the bimini.
Old 15-06-2020, 15:43   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

I'll jump in. We had an older Raymarine unit than you have, and we replaced ours a couple of years ago. Built in GPS antenna works just fine, with a bimini over it. Or, you can connect a Seatalk antenna to it, if you want. The new Raymarine stuff is fantastic - so easy to do. You will need to get 12v to it, that's all. If you have other "stuff", they are easy to tie in, with Seatalk cables/connectors.

Being honest, if ALL you want is a display for maps, a waterproofed iPad works great and is a whole lot cheaper. But I'd explore tying everything int - it's really easy.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2020, 15:52   #8

Our AIS has a built in GPS antenna (with an option for an external one) and is mounted inside the cabin at the nav. station. We've never had a problem getting a fix with plenty of satellites so I've never rigged an external antenna. Can't say about other equipment, but in our case that one device works just fine indoors.
Old 15-06-2020, 19:20   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan View Post
Like I said, I don't have anything fancy. No radar, no DSM depth module. I simply want to swap out the old chartplotter with a new one. My question is, are the connectors and everything the same? And would they still be the same if I went with another brand?

no nothing will be same. nor will the hole size.

it will have a new power wire for sure.

if the only thing the old one has is a external gps antenna. (ray 120?) then you can just rip it off. as most new plotters will have it built it.

if there is other stuff. (st 60 gauges giving depth / wind? pilot? gps data to VHF radio? ) then you need to figure out, and wire accordingly.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2020, 07:01   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

BTW there is still a good demand for C80 plotters. The reason is anyone with a complete seatalk network and C80 may want to replace just the C80 rather than upgrade, particularly if its built into a nice cabinet at the chart table.

So take apart carefully, keep all the bits and find the trunnion bracket (I had to buy one second hand) then sell it all with the GPS antenna and any chart cards you have.

Pete
Old 16-06-2020, 08:54   #11

I have a 2005 E80. Not positive, but I pretty sure that the only difference between E80 and C80 is that C80 in not "networkable." Based on your picture it looks like the map should be on the card slot on the left behind the little door. I update my Navionics maps all the time. No problem. Works 100%. If that is all you want I would recommend doing the update. If you just want a newer chart plotter and don't need any radar or depth sounder integration I would say just use a tablet. Cheap and works. Raymarine OS upgrades are available for free if you need it. You use the card slot for this too.
TurboWarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2020, 10:43   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan View Post
The cables are different on any other plotter, unless you went with an old Raymarine unit, but, why bother?

I upgraded from s C80 to an Axiom last season and had to convert to SeatalkNG. Once you figure it all out, it's not hard changing the cables. The original depth sounder still works but the autopilot would need a new($2K) control head for the plotter to control it.
Old 16-06-2020, 10:59   #13

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331 (French build)

With a new plotter and nothing else connected all you would need are the 12v supply. The GPS will be built in and very sensitive, would work in cabin let alone under the bimini (I get a GPS for my AIS unit mounted under the chart table).

I am upgrading from C70, getting an adaptor panel made from 5mm perspex, laser cut to shape. These old C-classic plotters are much deeper (height) than the newer widescreens.

You sound like a candidate for a basic Raymarine Elements S unit, not designed to be connected to much.
ithet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2020, 11:05   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithet View Post
With a new plotter and nothing else connected all you would need are the 12v supply. The GPS will be built in and very sensitive, would work in cabin let alone under the bimini (I get a GPS for my AIS unit mounted under the chart table).

I am upgrading from C70, getting an adaptor panel made from 5mm perspex, laser cut to shape. These old C-classic plotters are much deeper (height) than the newer widescreens.

You sound like a candidate for a basic Raymarine Elements S unit, not designed to be connected to much.
I think the Element series are pretty good for the money, but have ours connected to the ST60s, VHF, AIS and wheel pilot, so no reason why they can't be. Chose the Element because I wanted buttons rather than the more expensive Axiom with touch screen. I plan to fit the depth sounder transducer when we next lift out. Can also support radar, but that is some time off for us.
Old 16-06-2020, 11:46   #15

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331 (French build)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
I think the Element series are pretty good for the money, but have ours connected to the ST60s, VHF, AIS and wheel pilot, so no reason why they can't be. Chose the Element because I wanted buttons rather than the more expensive Axiom with touch screen. I plan to fit the depth sounder transducer when we next lift out. Can also support radar, but that is some time off for us.
Yes, the Element series do allow NMEA2000 connection (and WiFi to Quantum Radar). They look good value - and here in UK seems to be some price competition between Navico/Raymarine plotters currently.

I assume the OPs picture was not his boat, can he confirm that he has no Raymarine instruments on board?
ithet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chartplotter, marine, raymarine