Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2012, 05:48   #1

Boat: Pearson 36
Replacing Belt on Simrad WP32 autopilot

So the belt on the autopilot broke. I now have a replacement belt which i ordered on line. It is unclear to me how this is supposed to run/fit in the autopilot. Has any one ever replaced the belt on this autopilot? Does anyone have pictures of what it should look like once installed? Any help would be appreciated.
triton274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 16:19   #2

Boat: 1984 Islander Freeport 38 ft
Re: Replacing Belt on Simrad WP32 autopilot

I know this is a long shot, but, did you learn how to open the wP32 and replace the belt without damaging the unit? I need to do the same as you were doing to my WP32 and would appreciate any help you can provide. Best Regards.
Capt.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 17:05   #3

i have a wp10. when i purchased the boat, PO tried to install a new plate to engage wheel to set up. doing so she dropped 2 screws into the mechanism. was quite a job to take apart to find this one screw. used butyl tape to set screws in place when putting back, not for waterproofing but a little bit will hold screws in place real nice. Turns out there was nothing wrong with belt so i have a spare should i ever need one. i can guarantee it's not a job when afloat and moving but can be easily done at a marina or on the hard. just block cockpit drains for piece of mind. BTW, they dont make the nice little plate for the wheel engagment so McGiver'd a stainless plate with a dremel. works great!!
Old 17-03-2016, 19:27   #4

Boat: 1984 Islander Freeport 38 ft

Thank you for your reply. Is it correct that the moving race part that attaches to the boat helm wheel does not "snap off"? Are the screws you mention the external allen screws that hold the rollers in place on the inside of the moving part that attaches to the wheel? Can you clarify how the butyl tape is used to hold the screws in place. On the WP32 there are rollers on the inside that are attached to the back of the unit with the external allen screws. There seams to be a hex shaped nut on the inside that the allen screws thread into. Is the WP10 constructed in a similar way. Thank you again very much for your reply. Best Regards, Smooth Sailing.
Capt.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2016, 06:37   #5

the moving race comes off after you loosen the screws that hold the rollers. that is a little difficult because as with all screws loosen too much and clink clink clink, hence block cockpit drains. i think i had 6 or 8, not on the boat but when i did mine dropped 4 out of them into the inards. now easy to find but just a little scary until you get it apart and find them all. The butyl tape i used to put the screws with the rollers just as precaution so it would hold even if i jiggled it a little when putting it back together. Once apart it is easy to replace the belt, the old 2 hours of work for a 5 minute job. Replaced belt, make sure nothing in the way, foreign objects, belt does tend if new to not want to stay in place until all buttoned up so may have to put pressure on the clutch to keep it in while replacing outer ring. I required extra pair of hands to put it all back as you need to jig it a little as the wheels don't necessarily fit back easily. that's why i left them loose, and butyl tape as guard against me loosing nuts and having to open again. maybe some people wouldn't need it but i didn't want to reopen after finally getting it back just to find a loose screw or nut i dropped. The outside ring is very tight, slight persuasion to press over all the rollers, don't do it on a cold day or put the ring in the sun so it's warm and flexible. My main issue was PO did not have the "badge" that goes over the knobs that connects the unit to the wheel. so once i got the unit back together i had to fashion a stainless plate to fit over the knobs and it has worked great since.
Old 22-12-2018, 10:42   #6

Boat: Catalina 30

I just ordered a couple of replacement belts for my SIMRAD WP32. The manual states under 6.6 Servicing: "...we recommend that the belt is replaced professionally to ensure correct fitment and calibration."

Can someone who has replaced their belt clue me in on whether a professional is truly needed, or is this just to help keep their help desk in-box manageable?
iyamwhatiyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2018, 10:45   #7

Here's the WP32 manual...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf WP32.pdf (1.10 MB, 242 views)
Old 22-12-2018, 11:14   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by iyamwhatiyam View Post
I just ordered a couple of replacement belts for my SIMRAD WP32. The manual states under 6.6 Servicing: "...we recommend that the belt is replaced professionally to ensure correct fitment and calibration."
Can someone who has replaced their belt clue me in on whether a professional is truly needed, or is this just to help keep their help desk in-box manageable?
From
http://www.ybw.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-186299.html

They are quite easy to fit despite what simrad say. Just slacken off the six screws three turns each and the clutch adjustment. Wriggle off the drum. Fit the new belt onto the pinion first then the drum and push the little wheels in as it goes on starting with the wheels nearest to the pinion. Tighten the 6 screws and its done. (Simrad - Whats the problem ?)
Old 24-12-2018, 07:42   #9

I replaced mine and you can do it. There are lots of nuts and washers that can go astray so block your cockpit drains so they dont go there. Make sure you have lots of time and someone with small fingers and you will do just fine. One of the firat projects after I purchased my boat.

Tags
autopilot, simrad