Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2017, 19:23   #1

Boat: Columbia 10.7
Replacement instruments?

I just bought a Cal 27 with various instruments, knot meter, Wind indicator, and depth gauge.

I know the depth gauge works, but the wind indicator did not function when powered up and the face of the knot meter is cracked.

#1. Is it possible to find replacement gauges anywhere. All the sites I've looked at are showing new equipment using various nmea interface specs. I'm afraid these older instruments don't comply. Do I have to replace and rewire the boat? Or is there a supplier that stocks older equipment that I could swap out.

Also, anyone know of a supplier that offers reasonable pricing? I think I'm going to have to take out a second mortgage to replace these instruments

#2. Since the gauges don't display any readings, how can I check to see it's not the sensor instead of the gauge? Will there be any electrical signals from the wind sensor for example that I can check with a multimeter?

Thanks.
Bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 19:26   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Replacement instruments?

What are your existing instruments?
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 20:37   #3

Boat: '86 MacGregor 25

Having also recently bought a boat, I would recommend tracing and inspecting (and testing where possible) as much wiring as you possibly can. So far all the electrical issues on our boat have been wiring/connector issues.

Here is a picture of the moment I figured out why our wind instruments weren't working.

wyb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 21:40   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyb2 View Post
Having also recently bought a boat, I would recommend tracing and inspecting (and testing where possible) as much wiring as you possibly can. So far all the electrical issues on our boat have been wiring/connector issues.

Here is a picture of the moment I figured out why our wind instruments weren't working.

Ouch. That looks terrible
Old 31-03-2017, 07:12   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
What are your existing instruments?
Unfortunately, I did not check brand. I was assuming that the older gauges would work with any sensor, like tachometers and oil pressure gauges on an engine. Excuse my ignorance.

If I have to replace the sensors and the gauges, then so be it. But I was hoping there was a supplier who had older or used gauges in stock. Thanks
Old 31-03-2017, 07:29   #6

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Depth is really the only one that's a "necessity". It's easy enough to get the other data from all kinds of sources, including handhelds, & or, your phone. Including wind sensors for the latter. Otherwise, if your gear's truly ancient like you're saying, it's probably time to rewire anyway. Though there are lots of wireless instruments/instrument packages.
Sailboat Electronics | Marine Electronics | APS

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 07:37   #7

Boat: Bristol 27

If you're going to buy a GPS you can probably remove the old knot meter. My GPS is a 2001 model.

As far as the wind indicator, many of us don't use those but I can understand you wanting to make everything on your "new" old boat work.

One of my GPS Units failed a day or so ago so I replaced it with a Suunto Hand Held Compass.

https://www.backcountry.com/suunto-a...w&gclsrc=aw.ds

I'm usually within 20 miles or so of the coast so it should work perfectly. My gauges are not mounted but are on long lead wires.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 08:50   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
If you're going to buy a GPS you can probably remove the old knot meter. My GPS is a 2001 model.

As far as the wind indicator, many of us don't use those but I can understand you wanting to make everything on your "new" old boat work.

One of my GPS Units failed a day or so ago so I replaced it with a Suunto Hand Held Compass.

https://www.backcountry.com/suunto-a...w&gclsrc=aw.ds

I'm usually within 20 miles or so of the coast so it should work perfectly. My gauges are not mounted but are on long lead wires.
Good info to know. My issue is that there are three holes in my cockpit with two suspect and currently non-working gauges. Even if I removed them and used something else, I'd have to patch these holes.

Often the wind at the deck is different than that at the masthead. It would be good to know both for tuning the sails.

I would consider replacing and using something different. At this moment I will be sailing inland waters on Lake Michigan.
Old 31-03-2017, 08:57   #9

Boat: 33' Nonsuch

If you find yourself replacing the instruments, you may want to stick with one brand. Although every major brand claims NMEA compliance, some data -- I've been told around 10% -- doesn't translate across brands. I myself went with B&G. I'll be sticking with that for future add-ons for the greatest possible instrument compatibility.

For me, the most interesting NMEA aspect (after a sailing hiatus of 25 years) is the current ability to decouple sensor from the (previously dedicated) display, which leads to all kinds of interesting display capabilities, including your phone or tablet for use below. (daylight readability of instruments above decks can be an issue with a phone or tablet.)

I had to study up for a while to grasp what the current state of the art is, but it's fun. There is some cool gee-whiz equipment out there!
Ida_Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 08:59   #10

If the depth meter works, just get a budget gps , it will show speed well enough and be an asset.
As mentioned check out the wiring etc. An anemometer is nice to have as a learning tool.
It seems to me more often the problem with electronics is the sending unit vs the readout gauge. Especially with knot meters or anemometers.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 09:09   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ida_Lewis View Post
If you find yourself replacing the instruments, you may want to stick with one brand. Although every major brand claims NMEA compliance, some data -- I've been told around 10% -- doesn't translate across brands. I myself went with B&G. I'll be sticking with that for future add-ons for the greatest possible instrument compatibility.

For me, the most interesting NMEA aspect (after a sailing hiatus of 25 years) is the current ability to decouple sensor from the (previously dedicated) display, which leads to all kinds of interesting display capabilities, including your phone or tablet for use below. (daylight readability of instruments above decks can be an issue with a phone or tablet.)

I had to study up for a while to grasp what the current state of the art is, but it's fun. There is some cool gee-whiz equipment out there!
Do you have a supplier you recommend? Doesn't seem to be many bargains out there. Might as well have a reputable dealer.
Old 31-03-2017, 09:13   #12

Boat: 33' Nonsuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim View Post
Do you have a supplier you recommend? Doesn't seem to be many bargains out there. Might as well have a reputable dealer.
As it happens, Defender is having their giant annual sale, and if you have the march shipped outside of CT you can save sales tax. Serendipity.
Ida_Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 09:55   #13

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim View Post
Good info to know. My issue is that there are three holes in my cockpit with two suspect and currently non-working gauges. Even if I removed them and used something else, I'd have to patch these holes.

Often the wind at the deck is different than that at the masthead. It would be good to know both for tuning the sails.

I would consider replacing and using something different. At this moment I will be sailing inland waters on Lake Michigan.
Yep, and that's why most folks have an upper and a lower set of telltales. Some folks also have a middle set and leech tell tales

In racing on super light wind days, we sail by the upper tell tales.

At other times and during heavy winds, we sail by boat speed(or feel) and care not a lot about perfect airflow over tell tales......

As far as holes in the cockpit, the PO of my boat sealed all those which is nice and another reason I have a hand held compass now! I'll just have the depth finder out in the cockpit coming and going from the marina and various shallow water anchorages otherwise it will stay below.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 10:59   #14

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

I am not a Luddite, but I did remove all of our old nonfunctional data marine instrumentation and replace it with extremely basic signet stuff (only depth and wind). With no possibility to interface it with anything. For the way we use the boat it works well and imho will not suffer from obsolescence, as it already is when new.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 21:34   #15

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 39

Agreed....depth is the only vitaly important instrument. There are so many other packages available at reasonable cost that will update your yacht. Rewiring and updating as I have found is also a great way to remove about 10kg, and few km in excess weight of old, obsolete and unused wiring. 😂😁😀
CheoyLee39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, rum