Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2013, 10:13   #1

REPLACEMENT BATTERY FOR SEIMAC PRO FIND 406 EPIRB

I am looking for a replacement battery for my SEIMAC PROFIND 406 EPIRB. It seems that the company, based in Canada, went out of business in 2010. I bought my last replacement battery back in 2008 and the beauty of this particular model of Epirb was that the battery was indeed user-replaceable (saving a lot of money vs. sending the Epirb to a "specialized" shop). The replacement of the battery was extremely easy to do in less than 5mn. However, it's now 5 years old and I have to replace it again (though it tests OK; but I don't want to take a chance as I do a lot of offshore passages).

Has anyone had the same problem finding a replacement battery for this model of epirb? Does anyone know who made this model of epirb for SEIMAC?
hipposcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:09   #2

Boat: Newick Creative trimaran, 42'
Re: REPLACEMENT BATTERY FOR SEIMAC PRO FIND 406 EPIRB

Did you find a battery for your Profind 406 Epirb? I am in need of a replacement battery for mine as well.
tomtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:01   #3

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

For what it's worth, I have an Ocean Signal EPIRB that has a user replaceable battery.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 13:01   #4

Boat: Newick Creative trimaran, 42'

Thanks for the info. I'd still like to update the unit I've got, if possible. It may still be functional without a new battery, as the self test (which includes a battery check) performs perfectly. I've read in other threads that the lithium batteries are good for 11 years, although the manufacturer states they should be replaced every 5. Mine were replaced in 2006.
tomtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:17   #5

March 4, 2014

I'm also looking for a new battery for my Seimac EPIRB. Did anyone find a source?

Geoff
Geoff Ralling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2014, 09:53   #6

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed

While I cannot say what battery the Seimac takes, I was able to find replacement batteries for the ACR RLB-32 here: Saft LO 26 SX Lithium Battery | SEPBatteries.com $11 ea, min purchase = 4

BTW, my new (used) boat came with an older ACR epib (it appears never to have been registered) and the battery expiration date was 2005 (unit built in 1999) and I expected the battery would have been completely shot. I did the test on it yesterday and to my amazement, passed all 4 test sequences including the strobe! I was impressed. I haven't opened it up yet, maybe Sunday but plan to replace the batteries anyway. I also have a PLB but for well under $100, will be nice to have a EPIB backup.
Sailorman Ed is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, epirb, men