Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2008, 11:01   #1

Boat: Tayana FD-12
Remote control for old VHF

Does this seem like it would work?

Instead of buying a new radio + the remote control($$$), I am trying to setup a less expensive solution with remote mic, and a dialpad for selecting channels.
On ebay, I found another exact model vhf radio(5$), and I want to take the mike and a frequency selector dialpad from that one and add it to the radio in the navstation. My dialpad is like a dialpad on the phone with numbers '0'-'9' and an 'enter' button.
I'll plan to keep the controls like hi/low, volume, power, international/USA, and squelch on the main radio. I will just solder the wires for the second dialpad frequency selector in parallel to the dialpad on the main radio. Also add another mike cable in parallel to the mike on the main radio. These old radios are nice and big, and soldering components is relatively easy in comparison to the newer electronics.

Petar
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2008, 12:23   #2
Eternal Member

Petar,

Sounds like an awful lot of work for a possibly marginal solution. I, for one, would not want a remote station without benefit of volume control and other controls.

VHF radios are VERY cheap these days. Why not just install another one in the cockpit, and mount a second VHF antenna on the pushpit? That gives you 100% redundancy -- always a good thing -- and use of the VHF in the cockpit is usually for relatively short-distance contacts anyway, so the pushpit-mounted antenna would work just fine.

JMO,

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2008, 12:42   #3

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Quote:
VHF radios are VERY cheap these days. Why not just install another one in the cockpit, and mount a second VHF antenna on the pushpit? That gives you 100% redundancy
I agree with Bill. But some guys like Petar like to tinker and dick around with stuff. Good luck with the project.
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2008, 14:01   #4

I agree with redundancy of 2nd antenna and radio. My main reason for looking at remote and not the radio itself is that we get alot of water in the cockpit. I don't think VHF radio would last very long in my cockpit. I looked the used icoms with remote controllers but its over my budget especially knowing that they are bound to get wet.
Tinker I do like, but I try to find beneficial tinkering ideas.
Old 31-03-2008, 14:12   #5
Eternal Member

Well, why didn't you say so (that a wet cockpit is your problem).

Most VHF radios these days are waterproof. You can mount them in the cockpit. Even the new DSC models can be had for about $100. Here's one example that's guaranteed for 3 years, including any problems from water damage: STANDARD QUEST-X BLACK VHF RADIO GX1500S Shop.Sailnet.com - sailing resources, shopping, sail, blogs

There are many others, but the Standard Horizon radios are a very good value.

VHF radios are practically throwaway these days. Great values, great features. And, most of them are quite rugged.

IMO, you'll spend a lot more in sweat and tears for a very "iffy" solution fooling around with an old VHF and a soldering iron (and this from a lifelong ham guy who loves to fiddle and still does a lot of board-level soldering work!) than going ahead with a new (waterproof) VHF.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2008, 19:04   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I don't think VHF radio would last very long in my cockpit. I looked the used icoms with remote controllers but its over my budget especially knowing that they are bound to get wet.
I don't think your homemade setup is going to be waterproof. Uniden has a wireless RAM Mic. I like the Icom 422. The RAM Mic adds an extra $99. It works and takes a fair amount of water. You get every control save DSC on the RAM Mic. The extra controls are worth it.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2008, 20:12   #7

Boat: 44 footer
A VHF radio in the cockpit... Brilliant!

I love this place.
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 11:52   #8

I should follow the KISS rule. I didn't realised that VHF prices have gotten that low. $100 VHF is definately justified especially with added redundancy.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:00   #9

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Check it out.
Handheld VHF Transceiver
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 12:20   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
The radio we got with the boat was a basic inexpensive VHF, but I replaced it with a Icom 422 and a RAM Mic. This is a pretty easy job to do for even a beginner. I kept the old radio and with the snap connect power connection I could hook it back up in 10 minutes should the other fail.

I also have a handheld radio too. Handy to have on the dinghy and for other things but the power of the VHF comes from the mast mounted antenna with 5 times the power output. It means you might actually call someone not within sight. Defender sells the Icom 422 for $199 with rebate right now compared to $99 for the cheap handheld. Not all handholds are equal. Battery time varies a lot. The better ones cost a lot more.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 16:09   #11
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Peter, I'd also agree with Bill T. I wouldn't expect the radio to work, I'd expect problems from electrical mismatches from the extra parts, and possibly interference from extra unshielded wiring runs, and other complications. The only excuse I can see for the "multi" sets is the intercom functions, otherwise, why not just have the second radio fully independent on the cockpit? I prefer to use an h/t in the cockpit anyway, if someone really needs to call a distant marina or whatever...someone can go below and do that. The convenience of the h/t and the fact that it is going ot be on the boat anyway, means I've already got two radios. A hard-wired one on the helm would be icing on the cake.<G>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2008, 18:47   #12

Boat: Bristol (Alden) 35 Sloop "Zephyr"
I have this Standard horizon hand held. For $90 it can't be beat.
Comes with nicad battery pack. Tray for AA's, house and cigarette charger.

I once dinked over to a 46' captained charter bopat and went aboard. In the cockpit under the helm seat they had a vhf. I asked if it held up out in the cockpit. The captain smiled and said the owner bought a new one every year. Cost of doing business.
over40pirate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
remote