Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2015, 05:24   #1

Recommendations for Tech in Jacksonville FL?

I am seeking recommendations for a good Furuno Technician in Jacksonville, FL. Furuno lists providers Imtech Marine, Jacksonville Marine Electronics, and WR Systems.

I'm also looking for someone to check out our ICOM M802.

We're in Brunswick, GA.

Happy holidays!
Duane
carlylelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 09:00   #2

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Recommendations for Tech in Jacksonville FL?

Duane,
If I was close by (like a dinghy ride or short car ride), I'd be happy to come on over and check-out your M-802....maybe just pour me an iced tea, and we're good...
BUT...
But, I'm in SE FL...so, perhaps I can help here and/or on-the-air???
(I have > 40 years experience in HF comms, and ~ 12 years experience with the M-802 specifically...and others here have even more years than I do, in HF comms....)

Is there a specific issue / problem you are having??

And, have you watched any of the Icom M-802 videos??

M-802 Instruction Videos
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...rC-8QKVyMb4tVr

HF-DSC Communication Videos
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...ga2zYuPozhUXZX

Offshore Weather Videos
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...zdjTJjHlChruyY

Plus other videos...
https://www.youtube.com/user/captainjohn49/playlists

As for Furuno tech recommends in JAX....I have no personal experience with anyone there....but, I know that Furuno telephone tech support is good....perhaps they could help??
Or, why not just post here what issues you have with your Furuno gear, and someone is likely to have an answer for you...
(the only Furuno gear that I have is a Furuno FAX-408 WeFax unit....)

Fair winds..

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 12:14   #3

John,

Thanks for your reply. I'm humbled to have a YouTube star reply! and thanks for taking the time to post those videos!

I have watched the ICOM videos previously, and they are very helpful. My concern is that there may be something not right with the setup. When traveling from Ft. Lauderdale to Georgia, I tried to dial in the weather reports from the NOAA broadcast by the USCG on the freq's and times listed, but was unable to get any reception at all (nothing..not the weather or anything else).

Later at the dock, I asked a neighboring boat for a test and was able to transmit and receive.

It still could be that I'm completely new at this. I'll be retiring next year and will spend the summer coming up to speed on all the electronic gear that we have. I'm an engineer (civil, not EE) so I shouldn't have any trouble figuring things out eventually...however long that may be!

Thanks,
Duane
carlylelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 17:30   #4

Boat: Catalina 470

Duane,
You're very welcome...

Again, all the answers to all your questions are right there in the "sticky" at the top of the page....read and follow the links, and all will be answered...
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tc-133496.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlylelk View Post
John,

Thanks for your reply. I'm humbled to have a YouTube star reply! and thanks for taking the time to post those videos!

I have watched the ICOM videos previously, and they are very helpful. My concern is that there may be something not right with the setup. When traveling from Ft. Lauderdale to Georgia, I tried to dial in the weather reports from the NOAA broadcast by the USCG on the freq's and times listed, but was unable to get any reception at all (nothing..not the weather or anything else).

Later at the dock, I asked a neighboring boat for a test and was able to transmit and receive.

It still could be that I'm completely new at this. I'll be retiring next year and will spend the summer coming up to speed on all the electronic gear that we have. I'm an engineer (civil, not EE) so I shouldn't have any trouble figuring things out eventually...however long that may be!

Thanks,
Duane
Specifics:
As for "something not right", in that you cannot receive the HF Offshore Weather broadcasts...but you can talk across the marina / across the street....well, the list of what might be wrong, is long....b
But, this list also includes "nothing wrong at all" (simply a combination of RFI and lack of understanding of both radiowave propagation and what you should be hearing, when and at what frequency)

1) In the radiowave propagation vein:
In the Brunswick, GA area, you are about 400 miles from Mobile, AL (Shipcom's station, WLO), about 525 miles from New Orleans (USCG station NMG), and about 500 miles from Chesapeake, VA (USCG station NMN)....and as such, you are well within easy reception range for both 8mhz and 12mhz (daytime), and 8mhz, 6mhz and 4mhz (nighttime)....for most of these stations...

Please watch the videos showing the Offshore weather broadcasts....

a) If you listen at the top of each hour, to WLO's primary channels, you will hear their station ID and traffic lists....and 4 to 6 times a day, the Offshore Weather forecasts at the top of the hour, as well...
http://www.shipcom.com/frequencies.html

Depending on time-of-day, I'd suggest you try channel 824 (from about an hour after sunrise, thru early evening), channel 1212 (from mid-morning thru sunset)....also try channel 607 (both early morning, and somewhat during the daytime, and throughout the evening/night)....as well as channel 405 (especially during evening and throughout the night)....
You should hear them loud and clear....

b) Listening at the prescribed times 1530z, and 2130z, on channel 601, 816, or 1205 (for NMN)....and at 0330z and 0930z, on channel 424, 601, and 816 (for NMN)...

Listening at the prescribed times 1530z, and 2130z, on 8502khz (and possibly 12788khz).....and at 0330z and 0930z, on 4316khz and 8502khz (for NMG)....
http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/marine/hfvoice.htm

You should hear them loud and clear...

c) You are about 280-300 miles from me in SE FL, from a couple hours after sunrise thru late afternoon/early evening, 8mhz (8294) is usually good, along with 12mhz (12359) being possible during midday thru afternoon....and 6mhz in evening with 4mhz at night....

2) As for RFI (Radio Frequency Interference) / radio noise....well it can mask all but the very strongest signals....and in marinas/boat yards/yacht clubs it can be frustrating to many sailors new to HF communications....
Watch the videos showing these noises and the ones showing natural atmospheric noises....AND the ones showing the Offshore weather broadcasts...in order to understand what you should be hearing and what you shouldn't...

On-board RFI (stuff on-board YOUR boat) is usually easy to track down, but sometimes frustrating to eliminate....and FYI, many EU boats (especially the high-end ones, with lots of hi-tech stuff on-board) are the worst of the bunch in regards to on-board RFI....

If you look at the "sticky" mentioned multiple times here, you'll see a great deal of info for tracking down and reducing/eliminating RFI.....
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tc-133496.html
BUT...
But, please watch the radiowave propagation videos and RFI videos, first!!
That way you'll not waste a lot of time looking for problems that might not exist!!

3) You've not mentioned what issues you are having with the Furuno gear....but I do know that NavNet3D stuff was "flakey" until the made many fixes in software updates....
So, if you have NN3D, a software update may fix many problems for you...

Also, many times, those new to integrated electronics packages, find them intimidating and the manuals pretty intense....so, sometimes the issues are just part of the learning curve...

Let us know what's happening....and maybe we can help...

I hope this helps...

Fair winds...

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacksonville, men